Locker room problems

lynxrattle

6 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

He sure doesn't 'lay it all out there for a win' - he coasts; nor does he demand a competent roster with more 'Alpha' players that may infringe upon his monopoly upon Team Direction, or that he is taken off in OT (wherein he fails miserably).  He only cares about his pay, his league-leading TOI, his junk PP second assists, and his control over his shifts,, the team, and CL (with 11 and 9).  Sorry, that is how I see it....whether anyone can quantify that he 'loves to lose' or not, this guy has been a multi-year cancer.  On what team could a guy and his pal hire their own coach and bring him to a club scheduled practice unannounced?!?  This is CLEARLY insubordinate behavior, and a complete affront to the hired coaching staff - and was less about winning and more about showcasing himself and Parise to remain key cogs on the PP (and it DIDN'T WORK in terms of improving the PP, but they remained on it for years with lukewarm success).  

I think Ryan Suter knows he's very safe on this team given his relationship with the owner.  Sort of like having the boss' kid working in the rest of the company.  He shows up when he feels like it, he's allowed to do more or less as he pleases and no one can really criticize it because they know where its going to go.  

YET...

As a group, this team is playing for each other now (Suter be damned) as it ever has.  While it may be counter productive in the long run, I'm enjoying the ride right now.  Its fun watching a team play together and embrace a 'next man up' philosophy.  Soucy and Brodin are great examples of that...as is the GEEK line.  

• Like 1

I honestly think that the wild are a solid goaltender and 1 top line scorer from being a real contender. 

The defense is great and the whole team is playing as a team. 

I don't know what really happens in the locker room since I'm not apart of the team, but when I watch this team, I get a real sense of brotherhood. 

Maybe Zucker's comments were needed to fire them up, but either way, this team is fun to watch

Edited by Miles
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:52 PM, lynxrattle said:

Here's a link to an article I thought collects nicely some major points on why the team has been doing better after the dismal start to the season:

http://m.startribune.com/how-did-the-wild-pull-itself-back-from-the-brink-and-into-playoff-contention/565800322/

Thanks Lynxrattle. It is a nice detailed article  about our team's recent better play.

Here is a nice new article from Star Tribune. They recall Sturm as well as Menell already to the big club . Pateryn got an lower- body injury in AHL who was on a conditioning stint in Iowa and now is placed to the IR . 

http://m.startribune.com/wild-recalls-nico-sturm-moves-mikko-koivu-and-greg-pateryn-to-injured-reserve/565897042/

Another article hints at locker room issues and within days the airwaves are flooded fawning over Mikko and how he's such a great player, a great captain... Stats are brought up in the same breath as how all those barely above board stats are all with the same team.

Dreamy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rottenrefs said:

Another article hints at locker room issues and within days the airwaves are flooded fawning over Mikko and how he's such a great player, a great captain... Stats are brought up in the same breath as how all those barely above board stats are all with the same team.

Dreamy.

What article is that?  

1 hour ago, rottenrefs said:

Dreamy.

Thanks rotten, it was getting all too positive around here! 😉

22 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

What article is that?  

Right. Mmm Mikko, mmm... Mmm praise Jesus, mmm... And in every breath fawning all over his excellence they know he alone isn't worth noting his merits without bringing up his brother and none of his teammates.

And people buy into it hook, line and sinker.

(shrugs)  I don't think we're all praising Mikko around here.  Yet a 1,000 games is an impressive accomplishment of longevity but that shouldn't be considered some super endorsement of being elite / star player etc.  

The Wild homers love Mikko Koivu.  Russo loves Mikko.  The Wild really love Mikko.  

As far as locker room issues, talk to Parise.  He seems to think the coach needs to do some different things at practice so they actually know to shoot the puck when they have a 4-on-3 power play in overtime.  Boudreau was annoyed with those comments and sort of indirectly tried to tear those comments apart.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

And now Staal is out too?  Collided with a ref?  Shish....

Yea...he tried to flip a puck into the offensive zone and charge after it and an official got in the way, jumped up and caught Staal in the head with his elbow.  He seemed pretty miserable, you could even hear him moaning on TV to the trainers...then gingerly skated off the ice.  I'd guess he tweaked his neck or a concussion or both.  Either way, pretty unlucky.  

Koivu might have become a Selke winner in another team with a real 1C. The Wild had to/drove themselves into a situation where he was given a role not fit for him. He would have been a great shutdown line centerman. Considering the possible existence of any locker room problems, I still think Koivu would be a part of the problem. People say that he is grumpy after a loss. How does a rookie approach the captain of his team after a loss, possibly after the rookie has made a bad mistake, if the said captain is grumpy, or looks like that he doesn't want to be talked to after losing a game?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This year I don't feel like there is locker room issues as I think it's become apparent to everybody including them that they do not have the talent and can't survive locker room issues. I know others will argue on talent but if you step away and look at this team from a different view it's not hard to see we don't have talent but a ton of money spent on guys who had a good season once.

Honestly I have given up on the team being serious on winning a cup. I still cheer for them but realizing the team won't win a cup with this roster has made the games more enjoyable to watch. I still get annoyed with Suter and his lack of play and effort on the ice. I don't think he enjoys losing but I also believe he doesn't care if he does lose. Dumba is Dumba. Filled with a exciting moment or two but also filled with 20 bone headed moves. Dubnyk is a career back up Goalie who got very lucky to find a desperate team. Parise never was the super star the team made and paid him out to be. Health has always been a factor for him. Zucker, is well Zucker. A third line guy for most teams. I could go on but everybody gets the point. I guess I say don't expect anything but blow out losses from them and you will be pleasantly surprised sometimes.

Edited by EJ0226

It didn't matter.  The team as a whole wasn't ready to play.  That's not on Boudreau.  Boudreau owned up to the mistake, many of the veterans continue to believe they never make mistakes even if they were on the ice for 6 out of the 7 goals scored.  Then you have, 'everything is just fine' Dubnyk who acts like this is just a minor bump in the road and that we'll be in the playoffs for sure after any loss he has.  The only honest broker in this 'room' is Marcus Foligno.  Parise, he seems to almost enjoy not getting along with this coach.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Boudreau should gracefully step aside. F'd up the lineup card? Really? Time to settle into that advisory role and let somebody else coach this mess.

I won't stand here and say Boudreau is the only coach that can get us to the promised land and he isn't flawed. He is a good coach and made a mistake on that. It sucks for sure. But he isn't using a controller to control the players on the ice. A coach can direct a team and a very good coach can lift a team to the next level but even the mightiest, Scotty Bowman, couldn't get this team to the Stanley Cup. The roster was build by very flawed GMs who allowed a very low hockey IQ owner to make decisions on player too. Factor in this owner is more concerned about being besties with his highest paid players then being serious about winning a cup and you can't direct the blame on the coach. Bruce for sure deserves some but I think the majority falls on the GMs, Leipold and a few certain players who made this club their own personal workout gym where they get paid fat stacks of cash.

And like @CreaseAndAssist said the only player who shows effort and passion to winning is Marcus Foligno. I would say he is the only player I would keep and fire sale everybody else. Honestly, I would get rid of Suter if I could even if it means I have to pay his salary still as there is no way he isn't the most toxic player in that locker room.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 10:03 AM, EJ0226 said:

I won't stand here and say Boudreau is the only coach that can get us to the promised land and he isn't flawed. He is a good coach and made a mistake on that. It sucks for sure. But he isn't using a controller to control the players on the ice. A coach can direct a team and a very good coach can lift a team to the next level but even the mightiest, Scotty Bowman, couldn't get this team to the Stanley Cup. The roster was build by very flawed GMs who allowed a very low hockey IQ owner to make decisions on player too. Factor in this owner is more concerned about being besties with his highest paid players then being serious about winning a cup and you can't direct the blame on the coach. Bruce for sure deserves some but I think the majority falls on the GMs, Leipold and a few certain players who made this club their own personal workout gym where they get paid fat stacks of cash.

And like @CreaseAndAssist said the only player who shows effort and passion to winning is Marcus Foligno. I would say he is the only player I would keep and fire sale everybody else. Honestly, I would get rid of Suter if I could even if it means I have to pay his salary still as there is no way he isn't the most toxic player in that locker room.

Suter IS the biggest problem in the locker room. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Guess who said what:

"the guys need a different voice right now moving forward."

Quote on Boudreau firing, but was this said by Suter or Guerin?

"maybe a new voice will help certain things"

With 6 years left we'll hear the same blaming the coach -routine from Suter about the next coach as well. He always looks for a scapegoat. It's pathetic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Guess who said what:

"the guys need a different voice right now moving forward."

"maybe a new voice will help certain things"

With 6 years left we'll hear the same blaming the coach -routine from Suter about the next coach as well. He always looks for a scapegoat. It's pathetic.

I noticed that too...Guerin had the first quote, Suter had the 2nd...almost word for word.  Hmm...I wonder what happened?  Its not really that big of a mystery folks.  

Canning a coach when he really hasn't been that bad, sometimes has meant the GM takes over as bench boss.  I think it may have been a missed opportunity for Guerin to really gain an understanding on this team's culture issues by taking that job.  Sure he could tag along or drop by and try to witness some of it, but like any job...people change their behavior when the boss is around.  But if the boss is always there, they tend to fade into the woodwork...and people start acting the way they would when he wasn't really around.  But if he's not REALLY interested in learning about that...he'll just have Dean steer this ship over the proverbial cliff.  

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/31-teams-31-thoughts-31-trades/

From about 10 minutes to 17 minutes there's an interesting discussion on Boudreau's firing and possible infighting in the Wild. "Big sticks" of Suter, Parise and Koivu are seen as problems. Speculation that Leipold protected Boudreau already during Fenton era.

This is kind of hard to read, but I took a look at ice times for select forwards. If you follow the trend lines, there are a few interesting things. Parise's (Blue) and Eriksson-Ek's (Orange) ice time has more or less been consistent, Staal's (Red) has slowly increased (could be a function of Koivu's (Green) precipitous decline, not that Staal's been playing lights out), Zuccarelo's (Purple) has declined, Kunin's (Lt Blue) has increased, Fiala's (Dk Red) has significantly increased and Greenway's (Dk Blue) has dropped off. I didn't go back to the beginning of the season for whatever reason. I may try to do that to see if there is a more significant trend. Draw your own conclusions...

image.thumb.png.c6450c49ee0cce376e4c14087b710c6f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1