Happy Anniversary to the Expats from Philly.Com

Howie58

10 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

It amazes me that you guys even remember all that stuff that was happening *at leas* 10 years ago.  Shish....

It's stuff like taking the trash out or what I had for dinner last night that proves difficult.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

It amazes me that you guys even remember all that stuff that was happening *at leas* 10 years ago.  Shish....

I for one have a photographic memory and have snapshot in time memories that literally go back to when I was in a baby carriage.  

It is not quite  Merilu Henner memory but it is pretty cool and weird at times when I am telling my mom about details things that happened 41 years ago and she is like "Oh my gosh how do you remember that, you were 2".  And I tell her "quite vividly believe it or not". 

Too bad that it only applies for certain things as I could have used it for things like taking tests in school and grad school etc. :bigteeth:

Edited by Poulin20
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's stuff like taking the trash out or what I had for dinner last night that proves difficult.

or what my wife said last night about picking things up at the grocery store and forgetting to pick up my daughter from Sunday School ......

40 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

yeah it is amazing BUT THEN AGAIN .... they significantly impacted silly.com ....  so yeah not too hard to remember some of the more stellar moments .......

1 minute ago, Poulin20 said:

I for one have a photographic memory and have snapshot in time memories that literally go back to when I was in a baby carriage.  

yeah my son has a photographic memory .......

I can remember some things from my childhood hood....I too wish it came in handy during pharmacy school!

7 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

It is not quite  Merilu Henner memory but it is pretty cool and weird at times when I am telling my mom about details things that happened 41 years ago and she is like "Oh my gosh how do you remember that, you were 2".  And I tell her "quite vividly believe it or not". 

Too bad that it only applies for certain things as I could have used it for things like taking tests in school and grad school etc. :bigteeth:

Ah, but you also have to remember every horrifying detail of every crushing Flyer failure of the last 41 years!

Whereas, I have to drink to do that.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Ah, but you also have to remember every horrifying detail of every crushing Flyer failure of the last 41 years!

Whereas, I have to drink to do that.

I do and it hurts just as bad as when it happened for a lot of those things.  Pelle, the 1987 and 2010 SCFs losses hurt me the most and I literally have a hard time thinking about those losses without old wounds opening up again and me getting uber upset about them.  

18 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

I'm very similar, though I refer to it as eidetic because it includes other sensory memory.

While very broad, it's probably selective and doesn't, for some reason, usually apply to the mundane  or repetitive (the trash removal or last night's dinner--unless last night's dinner was unusual in some way).

But yeah, my mother used to say similar to me.

And completely agree about the test taking/school thing.  I think because, for me, it fell into the mundane/trash removal category.

Though, there was a class I took with my now wife back in college.  It was international politics, which was right up my alley.   I was going to get a low-A in it without doing anything.  I think it was like a low 200-level class.   It was NOT my wife's forte.  At all.  Complete blind spot for her.   But she was a meticulous note-taker.    

So, I was recruited to help her study.  I went over it, quizzed her from her notes, explained her notes to her (LOL), etc.   Only a few times.

It came to the test and....whoa....I could picture her notes.  I mean, in great detail like the page was right in front of my face. Not only did I answer the questions, but I basically copied her notes--so I answered in the prof's exact words.   100% instead of the 90-92% I would have otherwise gotten just from half-listening memory.    I was like, "huh, so this is what I'd do if I bothered to study."

This was a lesson I quickly proceeded to forget.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

or if it takes your car over an hour to warm up, you have a lot of time to think.

This is true. 

FYI - I like that your 2nd favorite team is also the Flyers. And that rux's favorite team is "Other"

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Though, there was a class I took with my now wife back in college.  It was international politics, which was right up my alley.   I was going to get a low-A in it without doing anything.  I think it was like a low 200-level class.   It was NOT my wife's forte.  At all.  Complete blind spot for her.   But she was a meticulous note-taker.    

So, I was recruited to help her study.  I went over it, quizzed her from her notes, explained her notes to her (LOL), etc.   Only a few times.

It came to the test and....whoa....I could picture her notes.  I mean, in great detail like the page was right in front of my face. Not only did I answer the questions, but I basically copied her notes--so I answered in the prof's exact words.   100% instead of the 90-92% I would have otherwise gotten just from half-listening memory.    I was like, "huh, so this is what I'd do if I bothered to study."

@Poulin20

BTW, the punchline to this is that my wife got a D.   As in "Dumber than dog####"

11 hours ago, pilldoc said:

yeah my son has a photographic memory .......

I can remember some things from my childhood hood....I too wish it came in handy during pharmacy school!

Shoot...I don't even have photos, let alone memories.

I have the opposite of a photographic memory.  I have CRS (Can't Remember Schitt)

I was going to take a class to improve my memory.  I forgot to sign up...

Do you know the first 3 things to go when you get old?

1.  Your memory

2.  Uhhh...ummm...I forget the other two.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Haha 4