Wild vs. Hurricanes 11/16/19 @ 1:00PM CST at the X

CreaseAndAssist

7 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

This time they took the "puck luck" route:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/postgame-hurricanes-111619/c-311394180

Has nothing to do with "puck-luck".

In 3-on-3 hockey Dubnyk has a .789 SV% (60 saves on 76 shots). He's also given up a goal on each of the first three shots he's faced in the last three OT's.

And I don't know about any of you, but Dubnyk is starting to sound an awful lot like Darcy Kuemper before the Wild let him go:

I played pretty good, but that puck just took a crazy bounce.

I played pretty good, but I expected Spurgeon to make that play,...

I played pretty good, but boy, seems like nothing happens in OT and all of a sudden, bang!, it's over...

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 2

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Has nothing to do with "puck-luck".

In 3-on-3 hockey Dubnyk has a .789 SV% (60 saves on 76 shots). He's also given up a goal on each of the first three shots he's faced in the last three OT's.

And I don't know about any of you, but Dubnyk is starting to sound an awful lot like Darcy Kuemper before the Wild let him go:

I played pretty good, but that puck just took a crazy bounce.

I played pretty good, but I expected Spurgeon to make that play,...

I played pretty good, but boy, seems like nothing happens in OT and all of a sudden, bang!, it's over...

I agree 100%.  I think I said this on Twitter...its like the AI in video game hockey.  The opposition gets one chance and its in the back of the net way too often.  And as you correctly outlined in Dubnyk's list of excuses / cliches, he never accepts any ownership over failing this team time and again.  Dubnyk doesn't get concussions from practice like Darcy seemed to when things got tough.  Dubnyk just keeps asking for more starts.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

14 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

So...how soon do we hear about the “moral victories”...

Actually, you heard that after their last road loss in Los Angeles.  Where Ryan Carter and company were trying to say going 2-2 on the road trip wasn't too bad and will help the team dig out of the cellar.  Boudreau correctly shredded that false narrative but Carter and LaPanta kept trying to make it sound like it wasn't so bad.  

28 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agree 100%.  I think I said this on Twitter...its like the AI in video game hockey.  The opposition gets one chance and its in the back of the net way too often.  And as you correctly outlined in Dubnyk's list of excuses / cliches, he never accepts any ownership over failing this team time and again.  Dubnyk doesn't get concussions from practice like Darcy seemed to when things got tough.  Dubnyk just keeps asking for more starts.  

At least Stalock will own up to his mistakes. 

I'm not done with the team, but I’m not expecting a St Louis Miracle from this group, either. I don’t believe in the “Just get in the Playoffs and anything can happen”. That’s like saying you have a 50-50 chance of winning the lottery: either you’ll win or you won’t. 

I found it interesting Boudreau is playing that GEEK line a lot more, and in more critical situations. Also found it interesting 9, 11 and 20 weren’t even in the OT conversation. Not even for the third pair. I think that was going to be Staal, Fiala and Spurgeon?
I wonder if the focus for the team is beginning to shift from “Playoffs or bust” to “Maybe we need to think about a rebuild?”

• Like 3

Maybe RC and A-LaP think actually winning 2 in 4 games is the catapult out of the cellar. ;) 

Our Special teams are horrid.

-PP yawn

-PK Decent.

- I plan to stop watching if we are down 1-2 goals late. 1st  O-zone face off under 3 minutes and you can be sure BB pulls the goalie.

No matter how much we've actually been able to control any play. Guaranteed empty netter and a waste of the final 1.5 minutes.

- OT, Was shocked to see a different group but how about NOT an defensive posture?? Put our fastest 2 O's and 1 D. There has to be a YouTube video on 'How to' 3 on 3 in Hockey. :P 

Doesn't really matter if that was Dubnyk's 1st shot or 5th on him in OT. He should have been pumped up for OT and had that one.

I didn't see the first 2 against until watching NHL's 'On the Fly'...

Maybe they were "soft" but then the rest of the league was having a comfy night. There was plenty of similar goals throughout last night and most nights.

And I'm watching this unbiased. 

I'm not a huge Dubnyk fan but I'm not out to find that 1 person to blame...Seems to be the norm these days everywhere.

We're pretty much in the position when we 1st got Dubnyk. Not many were too excited, Citing stats etc....Then 'he' was on fire and everybody loved him...lmao...Was it just him or the team combined?  

Next season, The bar now has been unrealistically set and since then year after year with overuse by a lying Boudreau, Dubnyk and the D in front of him have been aging and slowing down.

What did anyone expect ?!?

5 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

At least Stalock will own up to his mistakes. 

I'm not done with the team, but I’m not expecting a St Louis Miracle from this group, either. I don’t believe in the “Just get in the Playoffs and anything can happen”. That’s like saying you have a 50-50 chance of winning the lottery: either you’ll win or you won’t. 

I found it interesting Boudreau is playing that GEEK line a lot more, and in more critical situations. Also found it interesting 9, 11 and 20 weren’t even in the OT conversation. Not even for the third pair. I think that was going to be Staal, Fiala and Spurgeon?
I wonder if the focus for the team is beginning to shift from “Playoffs or bust” to “Maybe we need to think about a rebuild?”

I haven't bought that 'get in the playoffs and anything can happen' slippery slope either.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

I'm not a huge Dubnyk fan but I'm not out to find that 1 person to blame...Seems to be the norm these days everywhere.

We're pretty much in the position when we 1st got Dubnyk. Not many were too excited, Citing stats etc....Then 'he' was on fire and everybody loved him...lmao...Was it just him or the team combined? 

I'm not a huge fan of this team but to be fair, the Wild deserved to win this more than the Hurricanes. Canes are the better team but their effort wasn't up to the level of their talent. The Wild had a lot more quality scoring chances and couple of guys probably played their best game this season.

At least two of those goals the Canes scored should never have gone in. This was ALL on goaltending (Suter and Spurgeon mighty close too).

The problem is: in the next game the goaltending might be good and the rest of the team decides to try and win with 50% effort. You can never tell with this *&%& show, ahem team, what episode they like to run this time...

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I haven't bought that 'get in the playoffs and anything can happen' slippery slope either.  

I think that slippery slope has its merits though. Who would've believed in January that Blues could sneak in the playoffs and "anything" did happen? Obviously that group was seriously underperforming under moron of a coach and with below average goaltending...

Yet, with the way the Wild played and even if the Canes weren't producing their best; I could see this group win a whole lot more by replacing it's #1 goalie. IF they stick together and play like this in every game. Which I totally and unconditionally doubt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

I think that slippery slope has its merits though. Who would've believed in January that Blues could sneak in the playoffs and "anything" did happen? Obviously that group was seriously underperforming under moron of a coach and with below average goaltending...

Yet, with the way the Wild played and even if the Canes weren't producing their best; I could see this group win a whole lot more by replacing it's #1 goalie. IF they stick together and play like this in every game. Which I totally and unconditionally doubt.

But they were on fire leading into the playoffs.  They were a grossly underperforming team prior to the run they made.  They had lots of talent and many of whom were in the prime of their NHL careers.  The Wild are not anything like that.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Obviously that group was seriously underperforming under moron of a coach and with below average goaltending...

Last years Blues were built to make a run at the Cup. But as we all know Mike Yeo couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag and Jake Allen looked like the second coming of Dan Cloutier. Replace Yeo with a guy who actually has two gray cells to rub together and change the goalie out for some guy that had been playing in the Blues system for four years and suddenly they start playing like they should have all along. They didn’t squeak into the playoffs. They kicked in the door and set it on fire. The Blues were firing on all eight cylinders when they hit the playoffs. It wasn’t a question of “Let’s see if the Blues can make some noise in the playoffs.” The Blues were going into the playoffs like Motörhead playing Ace of Spades with a four story stack of Marshall amps.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Puck-luck"; "puck- no- luck" , but  in reality we have a "potluck" of goals in our net, which our goalies kindly sharing with the all opposite teams this season.  
Agree. At least Alex Stalock always recognized his mistakes, but Devan always presents how he was steady/pretty good and everyone else around him was guilty, even the bounced puck is horribly guilty too in his records. And who is merit more respect? I think Alex does. And who is merit more playing time? I think Alex does. We are practically at the bottom of the league. Is that matter if Alex at least will split the time with Devan until we will see our goalie prospects from Iowa? I do not think is matter anymore for our team if Alex will play more.

16 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

"Puck-luck"; "puck- no- luck" , but  in reality we have a "potluck" of goals in our net, which our goalies kindly sharing with the all opposite teams this season.  
Agree. At least Alex Stalock always recognized his mistakes, but Devan always presents how he was steady/pretty good and everyone else around him was guilty, even the bounced puck is horribly guilty too in his records. And who is merit more respect? I think Alex does. And who is merit more playing time? I think Alex does. We are practically at the bottom of the league. Is that matter if Alex at least will split the time with Devan until we will see our goalie prospects from Iowa? I do not think is matter anymore for our team if Alex will play more.

The Minnesota Wild are like a bad tuna hotdish brought to a potluck dinner.  Sure, its food, it doesn't smell too great.  And no one wants any.  

• Uggh... 1

5 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Agree. Same way our solid team's play we have seen against the other fast and much more talented team Edmonton Oilers. Our team had shutout then with a score 3:0. Both goalies were involved (Devan during the 1st period and Alex - during a 2nd and 3rd periods). That means, the Wild team has some nice potential, but not using it in full(just occasional). With that potential we need a better #1 goalie to boost team's winning mentality, like it happened with St.Louis team last year. We also have few talented hardworking players in Iowa, but not using them here at least for a tryout (Mayhew; Menell; Sokolov; Kahkonen;Robson). Why? That is a question to the Wild organization.

9 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The Minnesota Wild are like a bad tuna hotdish brought to a potluck dinner.  Sure, its food, it doesn't smell too great.  And no one wants any.  

Let's make the Minnesota Wild Team great again. The smell even the bad one someday will go away. All we need - to build a patience around strong muscles and a smart talent. And then attraction to play in this team will come from everywhere.🤠

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Let's make the Minnesota Wild Team great again. The smell even the bad one someday will go away. All we need - to build a patience around strong muscles and a smart talent. And then attraction to play in this team will come from everywhere.🤠

Sounds great and all but in reality; there are teams that won't win the Stanley Cup in our lifetime. The Wild might be one of them.

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

But they were on fire leading into the playoffs.  They were a grossly underperforming team prior to the run they made.  They had lots of talent and many of whom were in the prime of their NHL careers.  The Wild are not anything like that.  

No but I'm fairly certain the players themselves didn't believe in making the playoffs in the last days of the Yeo regime, let alone winning the cup. Probably not in the first weeks when Berube arrived either. Talent for sure was there but self-belief? "Let's see what happens" attitude prevailed at some point. When and how much - that's debatable.

And about the talent in the Wild - I still occasionally see in various comment sections posters insisting that this is the best roster the Wild has ever had. I don't know how many but there ARE people who believe the biggest hurdle for this team is to make the playoffs.

Edited by Hockey-78

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

No but I'm fairly certain the players themselves didn't believe in making the playoffs in the last days of the Yeo regime, let alone winning the cup. Probably not in the first weeks when Berube arrived either. Talent for sure was there but self-belief? "Let's see what happens" attitude prevailed at some point. When and how much - that's debatable.

And about the talent in the Wild - I still occasionally see in various comment sections posters insisting that this is the best roster the Wild has ever had. I don't know how many but there ARE people who believe the biggest hurdle for this team is to make the playoffs.

I'm sure there wasn’t much belief after Yeo was dismissed in November. After Yeo left the Blues went from 7-9 to 15-18 at the end of December. By the end of January they were 22-22 and by the end of February they were 34-23. By March they were 42-28. The Blues started to believe in themselves well before the playoffs. They just needed the right voice behind the bench. 

As far as talent goes, it depends. Overall career-wise, maybe. But current talent-wise? I think some of those late Lemaire teams had more talent. I often wonder what would have happened in 2008 if Foster hadn’t broken his leg and Schultz didn’t get Appendicitis a week before the Playoffs. I thought that 2008 was one of the most talented teams the Wild’s ever had. 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:31 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Same here. Never bought it once.  You have 82 games a season and you show your cards and true colors. The Wild haven't been a buckle down and grind hard team in 10+ years. For some teams this saying could be true but these teams have talent and the will and drive to work and grind hard. The Wild just don't have that. Everything has to fall in place for them or it's over.

The roster just isn't good. It doesn't matter who is coaching or the GM. With this roster you are asking the coaches and GMs to cut a Giant Sequoias tree down with a butter knife if you expect a championship out of them. I mean it's possible in a 0.0000000000000000001% chance. It will be so insanely amazing as it's going to take a insane amount of work, grind, willpower and talent.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I'm sure there wasn’t much belief after Yeo was dismissed in November. After Yeo left the Blues went from 7-9 to 15-18 at the end of December. By the end of January they were 22-22 and by the end of February they were 34-23. By March they were 42-28. The Blues started to believe in themselves well before the playoffs. They just needed the right voice behind the bench. 

As far as talent goes, it depends. Overall career-wise, maybe. But current talent-wise? I think some of those late Lemaire teams had more talent. I often wonder what would have happened in 2008 if Foster hadn’t broken his leg and Schultz didn’t get Appendicitis a week before the Playoffs. I thought that 2008 was one of the most talented teams the Wild’s ever had. 

(shrugs)  I still don't think we had the firepower to truly go all of the way.  But I certainly feel a Lemaire-coached team is far better suited to the play of the post-season than what we were doing with Yeo and his successors given the relative talent, speed, and lack of go-to scoring this team continues to be plagued with.  

• Like 1

Maybe I do not understand something, but even for that, not a bad game, against Carolina, my concern is regarding to the fact to see smiling/joking faces of our players on the bench when we were losing 2-3 goals during the game as well as we are at the worse position of the league. I was expecting to see more focused to the game/more angry faces on the bench, but not that mostly a total team's happiness. I understand that, when we are at the top of the Division or having a long winning streak, but,unfortunately, we are not. Do we care about anything, or do we not? Probably, during a Lemaire-coached time the team was focused the most to the game in comparison to any other team's coached time.

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  I still don't think we had the firepower to truly go all of the way.  But I certainly feel a Lemaire-coached team is far better suited to the play of the post-season than what we were doing with Yeo and his successors given the relative talent, speed, and lack of go-to scoring this team continues to be plagued with.  

I’m not saying that 2008 team would have gone all the way. I’m just saying I think that was probably the most talented line up the Wild had. Guys in their prime complemented with some good veterans. And having a coach like Lemaire would have given them a distinct edge in the Playoffs. 
That 2008 team would’ve skated circles around the current team...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Maybe I do not understand something, but even for that, not a bad game, against Carolina, my concern is regarding to the fact to see smiling/joking faces of our players on the bench when we were losing 2-3 goals during the game as well as we are at the worse position of the league. I was expecting to see more focused to the game/more angry faces on the bench, but not that mostly a total team's happiness. I understand that, when we are at the top of the Division or having a long winning streak, but,unfortunately, we are not. Do we care about anything, or do we not? Probably, during a Lemaire-coached time the team was focused the most to the game in comparison to any other team's coached time.

Them being playful doesn't necessarily mean they weren't concentrating. They did come back in that game and the goals scored by the Canes were partly something a very mediocre goalie would have stopped. But yeah, I'm also worried about the risk of the team succumbing to a losing attitude. Since they will lose a lot of games, even if they do their utmost best, it would very easy for them to just throw in the towel, and wait for better times.

Was only able to watch the 3rd period. Appeared to me that the Wild were content and relieved to take the NHL participation point. Yeah they came back from a deficit, but the X is our home rink. Contrast that with the Vikings on Sunday. They gave the opposition a lead, played angry then turned on the guns and in effect said, "We got this. Hold my beer," and not for a moment took the proverbial foot off the gas.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Was only able to watch the 3rd period. Appeared to me that the Wild were content and relieved to take the NHL participation point. Yeah they came back from a deficit, but the X is our home rink. Contrast that with the Vikings on Sunday. They gave the opposition a lead, played angry then turned on the guns and in effect said, "We got this. Hold my beer," and not for a moment took the proverbial foot off the gas.

You made a nice analogy of two our teams - Wild and Vikings. What a dilemma of the game ? Happiness of the Wild or angry mood of the Vikings? Both were behind. Happy team lost and angry team won last game. Which mood is better?