Game 20: Flyers vs Islanders 11/16/19 7:00 pm

OccamsRazor

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

TK might have been gassed....tried a weak pass instead of taking the shot, but he looked like he might not have had anything left.

His legs being gassed has nothing to do with being able to get a shot on net he just has to chose to shoot it and not pass it...and he didn't he passed it....this team is full of pass first guys the Flyers don't have any selfish shooters... 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Not to open a can of worms but G only has 1g and 1a in last 6 games... just saying.....

At some point they have to settle on some lines and just let them play together and develop some chemistry.

Right now this just isn't a confident team regardless of their record. They don't play like a team that knows they can win.

They should play like they want the puck on their stick with the game on the line and look no further than the TK pass with seven seconds on the clock.

What does he do?? He passes the damn puck...and confident skater takes that shot with intentions to try and win it, not pass it so someone MIGHT get a shot.

If that was Ovenchicken with the puck on his stick like that he snaps a shot all day long because he BELIEVES he can win the damn game he doesn't want to NOT say he tried to win it.

It's a mindset and right now they don't have the right mind set...they seem to be on the way to getting there it seems.

But then night have after night up getting up by one or two goals only to let it slip away and head to OT or the shootout tells me they have a long way to go.

Last night up 3-0 only to give up 3 unanswered goals is unacceptable. They need to fix this fast points are slipping away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

To sum it up right now this is a one line team Lindblom Coots and Konecny...

do you think the blueline is really that good that fans want to believe? i just dont see it, besides provy, nisky, myers, the rest of them are just not good, i mean what has ghost done besides turn pucks over and not shoot the puck? sanheim is another one that just cant play defense, he looks disinterested half of the time.

if the core goes, the blueline has to be looked at in the offeseason, i just think fans are overhyping this defense and it's been the problem since pronger and timms have been traded

6 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

do you think the blueline is really that good that fans want to believe? i just dont see it, besides provy, nisky, myers, the rest of them are just not good, i mean what has ghost done besides turn pucks over and not shoot the puck? sanheim is another one that just cant play defense, he looks disinterested half of the time.

if the core goes, the blueline has to be looked at in the offeseason, i just think fans are overhyping this defense and it's been the problem since pronger and timms have been traded

The D is pretty young for the most part. When you have that many defencemen under the age of 23 you're going to experience growing pains.

So no...they aren't that good. They have the potential to get there. They just aren't as of yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

There some things they do well and there is a lot that a few need to work on for sure.

They are still young sort of I am hoping this staff can get them to reach their potential.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

There some things they do well and there is a lot that a few need to work on for sure.

They are still young sort of I am hoping this staff can get them to reach their potential.

sure im willing to get them a chance this season but if they dont make the playoffs, i think the blueline is going to be upgraded. that's what homer did after 07 disaster, he upgraded the blueline and the team make the playoffs the next year.

21 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

sure im willing to get them a chance this season but if they dont make the playoffs, i think the blueline is going to be upgraded. that's what homer did after 07 disaster, he upgraded the blueline and the team make the playoffs the next year.

Surr but the Flyers blueline of 2007 never had skill or potential like this.

@tucson83

Just for example Duncan Keith didn't have his real breakout year till he was 26 and Seabrook till he was 24.

So I know you're frustrated and I get it I am too.

But I don't want to pull the plug so soon.

I think they can find a way out of this.

I'm more worried about the forwards than the defense right now.

They basically have one line and a bunch of different moving pieces lacking a spot right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@tucson83

Just for example Duncan Keith didn't have his real breakout year till he was 26 and Seabrook till he was 24.

So I know you're frustrated and I get it I am too.

But I don't want to pull the plug so soon.

I think they can find a way out of this.

I'm more worried about the forwards than the defense right now.

They basically have one line and a bunch of different moving pieces lacking a spot right now.

i wonder what they’ll do next year. 

Braun will be gone, and Niskanen will be in his contract year. 

Who is #6? Friedman? Hagg? Some UFA? Trade?

One of the things I've hated about watching the recent Flyers teams has been watching teams play keep away with the puck in our D-zone.

Even when our guys win a battle they can't seem to clear the puck. Maybe it's just me but this issue seems to occur when Robert Hagg is in the line up. I don't know if there is a mix of players forwards and defense that shouldn't be out together but there are personnel combinations for the team that seems to get stuck in the defensive zone. I noticed this happening less when he was not in the line up.

I don't think Hagg is terrible, I do think his game can be taken advantage of by speedy forwards.

I don't think the Flyers overall team speed is bad, so it is disheartening to see a team like a mediocre Islanders team make them chase the game.

I understand playing young guys will have wildly disparate results while they are getting their OJT. 

I also think maybe it might be time to make a move regarding Nolan Patrick this season.

LITR, find a guy that can play 3C...the idea of let it ride worked fine right up to the point where Laughton got hurt, now a perceived strength has turned to a weakness. 

Also, I think I"m ready for a couple of bounces to go our way, it's not like the team isn't generating chances. They might need a break to get the ju-ju going in the right direction.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

One of the things I've hated about watching the recent Flyers teams has been watching teams play keep away with the puck in our D-zone.

Even when our guys win a battle they can't seem to clear the puck. Maybe it's just me but this issue seems to occur when Robert Hagg is in the line up. I don't know if there is a mix of players forwards and defense that shouldn't be out together but there are personnel combinations for the team that seems to get stuck in the defensive zone. I noticed this happening less when he was not in the line up.

I don't think Hagg is terrible, I do think his game can be taken advantage of by speedy forwards.

When I notice us being hemmed in, I look at who's on the ice, and almost always, it's Ghost and Braun alongside the Hayes or Raffl (4th) line. Possession metrics confirm this as well.

It is worse with Stewart in the lineup. Can we please end this experiment? He is not NHL caliber. His 29%CF is a team-low (sorry, Ruby is worse but in 3 games) and league low (I believe he is among the 5 worst, if not the worst, player in the league on several metrics).

25 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think the Flyers overall team speed is bad, so it is disheartening to see a team like a mediocre Islanders team make them chase the game.

Love ya dude, but you cannot call a 14-3-1 team that has points in 14 straight "mediocre."

They are a well-coached, tenacious, and talented forechecking machine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brelic said:

Love ya dude, but you cannot call a 14-3-1 team that has points in 14 straight "mediocre."

And 2nd overall...in the entire league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Maybe it's just me but this issue seems to occur when Robert Hagg is in the line up.

It happens when JVR and Voracek are out there do. 

Bottom line is those two just don't want to do the dirty work and help get the puck.

They would prefer someone else get it and they circle around to skate the puck out up the ice so sometimes it looks like a powerplay for the other team because it results really in 4 on 5.

EVERYONE must do what it takes to get the puck.

And in Hagg's case it's foot speed and then his brain not working fast enough or him being to busy trying to blow someone up with a check.

It won't change till Jake and/or JVR are gone.

They can maybe tolerate one but not both.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

When I notice us being hemmed in, I look at who's on the ice, and almost always, it's Ghost and Braun alongside the Hayes or Raffl (4th) line. Possession metrics confirm this as well.

It is worse with Stewart in the lineup. Can we please end this experiment? He is not NHL caliber. His 29%CF is a team-low (sorry, Ruby is worse but in 3 games) and league low (I believe he is among the 5 worst, if not the worst, player in the league on several metrics).

I seen Frost was recalled so I hope he is a solution to part of the problem.

He doesn't have to come in and be a savior he just needs to come in and help play a part stabilize just one line.

I don't think that is asking to much.

I just hope he can prove he is ready.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

well there's on paper mediocre and then the team on the ice.

this Islanders group is proving to be more than the sum of its parts.

I credit Trotz for that, he's always done more with less.  Beyond Barzal who on that team is ZOMG good ?

I see your point, but remember-I hate. (sports hate)

and that doesn't always make for rational arguments as I am not in my "wise mind". :toast: