Ovey's Hit on Drouin

Brewin Flames

Seems like he leaves his feet a lot of the time he hits. Not sure why...he usually has the size advantage. He's already been suspended multiple times for dirty hits...but he's also a "superstar" so he'.ll probably get scolded and made to promise that THIS time he won't do it again.

• Good Post 1

Crazy thing about this hit...
I wasn't watching this particular game, but I was monitoring my fantasy hockey squad where I happened to have Drouin on my team.

Shortly after the hit was made live, my fantasy hockey page showed Drouin as "day to day"...
I mean, I won't make light of perceived dirty hits or players health being in jeopardy (I NEVER want to see a player injured especially intentionally no matter who he plays for), but I got to thinking...

Man...that must have been a hellacious hit for the app to already be declaring Droin, not MINUTES after the hit, as DTD.... 
Fortunately for Drouin and the Habs, he was able to continue, and the DTD marking next to his name on my sheet disappeared.

I have NEVER seen that before...usually players are marked DTD, Out, or IR after doctors have looked at a player or after the game after full examinations can be made.

Ovi smashes a guy and the app immediately goes, "Oh crap...that hurt...Drouin is definitely day to day now.."
Just nuts..... 😮

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Commentary on the actual hit....
All SHOULD have been well with it...but like you guys said...Ovechkin DID leave his feet to make it....
And thing is... WHY?????

Usually guys leave their feet to hit a larger opponent..
Ovi towers over diminutive Drouin who was scrunched low as it was already....Ovi could have just come in normally and made the same impact.

Head didn't seem targeted or even hit, looked like shoulder to shoulder or clavicle on Drouin....but the fact that Ovi did make a jump off the ice...optics on that for him are pretty bad...

when I watched the hit, he leaned into it but barely left his feet until contact.

Generally unless you jump way into the air or target the head they won't call charging

https://www.nhl.com/video/what-is-charging/t-277350912/c-49890503

They show multiple instances of people leaving their feet here but dictate since the head was not the focus, it doesn't count as charging.