FROST warning

King Knut

He's been called up.

guess this is where the blades meet the ice.  

My guess is that they got some discouraging news on Patrick and the lack of offense from 3 lines proved too much to bear.  

Hopefully he takes care of himself out there and adds what it seems like he should.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He's been called up.

guess this is where the blades meet the ice.  

My guess is that they got some discouraging news on Patrick and the lack of offense from 3 lines proved too much to bear.  

Hopefully he takes care of himself out there and adds what it seems like he should.  

I seen Frost was recalled so I hope he is a solution to part of the problem.

He doesn't have to come in and be a savior he just needs to come in and help play a part stabilize just one line.

I don't think that is asking to much.

I just hope he can prove he is ready.

I don't think it has so much to do about Patrick but more about helping stabilize the 3rd line.

Or the 2nd maybe can't say for sure yet.

But it's safe top say the top line of Lindy, Coots and TK are good.

And I think the 4th line with Ardreoff Pitlick and Raffl are solid.

The issue is the other two lines and what will it take to fix one of those two.

Let's call them the 2nd and 3rd line for arguements sake.

So if AV can fix one of those lines it will help a lot.

Fingers crossed.

I hope Frost proves he is ready and here to stay.

I hope too, I also hope the fanbase can be patient with him.

He's got a pile of skill, There's going to be growing pains though.

I think this is too early, I'm not a GM though. 

I hope it works out, I hope this "necessity" doesn't wreck his confidence or body. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I agree with this.  Same with Farabee.  

If they want the best (skilled) 12 forwards in the organization, Farabee and Frost are with the big club.    I understand the want.   But as you and others have said, there will be a lot more growing pains playing the the NHL under the spotlight vs in Leigh Valley.  

Let's hope the fans give them a few months before calling them busts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I seen Frost was recalled so I hope he is a solution to part of the problem.

He doesn't have to come in and be a savior he just needs to come in and help play a part stabilize just one line.

I don't think that is asking to much.

I just hope he can prove he is ready.

I don't think it has so much to do about Patrick but more about helping stabilize the 3rd line.

Or the 2nd maybe can't say for sure yet.

The issue is the other two lines and what will it take to fix one of those two.

Let's call them the 2nd and 3rd line for arguements sake.

So if AV can fix one of those lines it will help a lot.

Fingers crossed.

I hope Frost proves he is ready and here to stay.

I just hope he can avoid getting his noggin bumped.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I hope it works out, I hope this "necessity" doesn't wreck his confidence or body. 

If he needs more time, he needs more time, and I hope he stays safe out there too.  

But the offense is down two centers and needs help mostly in energy and creativity and he's just sitting there to try out. 

I agree with this.   So that leaves Hayes, Jake, Giroux, JVR, Farabee and Frost.  

Giroux - Frost - Jake.......   Giroux will have to shoot and Jake will have to stop worrying about hurting the goalie with his shots.

JVR - Hayes - Farabee.......   Farabee and Hayes don't seem to mesh together.  JVR and Farabee could be offensively good.

Not sure how else the lines would work.

27 minutes ago, Digityman said:

JVR - Hayes - Farabee.......   Farabee and Hayes don't seem to mesh together. 

Could always just swing a huge trade for his old college linemate Johnny Gaudreau from the Flames.

Send them Jake or JVR their choice and Ghost with a pick.

Have the BU boys line...

Gaudeau - Hayes - Farabee

Just throwing that out there....

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Could always just swing a huge trade for his old college linemate Johnny Gaudreau from the Flames.

Send them Jake or JVR their choice and Ghost with a pick.

Have the BU boys line...

Gaudeau - Hayes - Farabee

Just throwing that out there....

Email Chuck

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I agree with this.   So that leaves Hayes, Jake, Giroux, JVR, Farabee and Frost.  

Giroux - Frost - Jake.......   Giroux will have to shoot and Jake will have to stop worrying about hurting the goalie with his shots.

JVR - Hayes - Farabee.......   Farabee and Hayes don't seem to mesh together.  JVR and Farabee could be offensively good.

Not sure how else the lines would work.

I'd go with:

Giroux/Hayes/Farabee

JVR/Frost/Voracek

I think those sets of play styles would work better together. 

23 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'd go with:

Giroux/Hayes/Farabee

JVR/Frost/Voracek

I think those sets of play styles would work better together. 

Lines per Meltzer are

Lindblom/Coots/Farabee

G/Frost/TK (G will take faceoffs)

JVR/Hayes/Jake

Andreoff/Raffl/Pitlick

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow so you're going to set Frost up with two floater to start his NHL career off...he'll have a meltdown have to skate with those two non back checkers...

Only due to a lack of options.

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

Lines per Meltzer are

Lindblom/Coots/Farabee

JVR/Hayes/Jake

Andreoff/Raffl/Pitlick

Haha, I don't even know what to think of that. I guess?

It feels like no matter what the trio is, there's always something off about it.

Edited by elmatus

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not a GM either, but I agree on the early.   If they're careful with zone starts, etc., it could be okay.  Or, they send him down to work on the defensive end some more.     I expect that decision will be made quickly before he reaches the 10 game mark.    

i'd be interested in his centering Giroux and someone, though. That could prove interesting.    Giroux on the right and Farbaee on the left with Frost in the middle could be deadly at both ends of the ice.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Lindblom/Coots/Farabee

JVR/Hayes/Jake

Andreoff/Raffl/Pitlick

I'm okay with this, but I really don't like that 3RD line.   I'm okay with Hayes yet, but to stick him with those two wingers....

I don't know what other options, but I don't like it.

Actually, I still find a way to get Giroux back on the right side and Farabee on the left.

Lindblom / Coots/ TK

JVR / Frost /Giroux

Farabee / Hayes / Jake

Andreoff / Raffl / Pitlicker

I'm still not excited by that 3rd line but it at least puts everyone back on their natural side.

Edited by ruxpin

53 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm okay with this, but I really don't like that 3RD line.   I'm okay with Hayes yet, but to stick him with those two wingers....

Actually, I still find a way to get Giroux back on the right side and Farabee on the left.

Lindblom / Coots/ TK

JVR / Frost /Giroux

Farabee / Hayes / Jake

I'm still not excited by that 3rd line but it at least puts everyone back on their natural side.

I mean, if three players making $23M can't score a couple goals, that's a huge problem. I'm all for finding chemistry and balance, but for f*** sakes guys, figure it out. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 4

My hesitation for going full homer on this call up  is based on seeing Morgan get pushed around pretty frequently when I saw him in Hershey last Sunday. I think it was at the end of a 3 in 4 and was on the back half of a home and home. So maybe some fatigue ?

He scored one of the two Phantoms goals on a skill play off the rush, yay!  But he also go muscled off a lot of pucks in the neutral zone, where he couldn't stop the flow of play from going through him.

I don't know quite what to call this, it's a 50/50 puck with momentum going the opponent's direction, Frost would get his stick on the puck but would get bodied off and the play would go through him. His skill was there, but he got bullied hard, I don't know if this is trying to make "junior plays" and can be "simplified" into "play the body son" or what but it was noticeable. 

43 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I expect that decision will be made quickly before he reaches the 10 game mark.    

That won't matter with Frost his entry level contract has already started regardless of 10 or not.

It only mattered with Farabee  because he has a Feburary birthday so his could have slid.

But it won't now.

• Like 1

I see the same "effort" in Gaudreau that I see in JVR or Voracek. Great with the puck...and zero without it. Flames fans are saying his point totals are a mirage, he's brought practically nothing to the team this year. His disappearing act in the playoffs doesn't help either. Pass. 

I'd rather not have yet another high priced floater. 

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I see the same "effort" in Gaudreau that I see in JVR or Voracek. Great with the puck...and zero without it.

Sure but Johnny scores goals though.

Hell if Jake did he would be much more tolerable.

It's why we have tolerated JVR but now that he isn't scoring either just get rid of both if you can find a taker.

Johnny Hockey put up 36 goals and 99 points last year.

If Jake could do that i wouldn't care if he layed down at the blueline and watched when the other team has the puck in the Flyers end.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Lines per Meltzer are

Lindblom/Coots/Farabee

JVR/Hayes/Jake

Andreoff/Raffl/Pitlick

Saw this.  The 3rd will just be the straight up Snake-Bitten/Stone Hands line.

I feel like this must be the best option considering everything though.  

Certainly a good situation to introduce Frost to the NHL with.  

This is the thing I've been on the Flyers for since the years of Willy and Rusty.  They did it with G too.  Talented young winger... hey, let's put them with checkers and tell them not to try to score!  What could go wrong?

AV is giving Frosty and the Bee a chance to succeed, not setting them up for failure and I dig that.  

If Frost sticks, I'd likely keep these lines when Laughts is ready, putting him back at 4C.  I leave it up to AV as to whether he drops Andy or Pits.  Neither is performing too poorly right now.  Laughton should be much better than either.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure but Johnny scores goals though.

Hell if Jake did he would be much more tolerable.

It's why we have tolerated JVR but now that he isn't scoring either just get rid of both if you can find a taker.

Johnny Hockey put up 36 goals and 99 points last year.

If Jake could do that i wouldn't care if he layed down at the blueline and watched when the other team has the puck in the Flyers end.

I know we're all just having fun here, but is there a reason I've missed as to why Calgary would ever consider trading Gudreau?

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'm okay with this, but I really don't like that 3RD line.   I'm okay with Hayes yet, but to stick him with those two wingers....

Lindblom / Coots/ TK

JVR / Frost /Giroux

Farabee / Hayes / Jake

They're not scoring, but they're all actually playing fairly well right now. 

I know he's not scoring and that's "why he's here" and all that, but JVR is actually crushing it in play driving and overall momentum right now.  He's only been on the ice for I think 5 Even Strength Goals against and there haven't been any in like 4 games.  

Hayes's play driving numbers are a little worse than the other two because he plays the PK, but all in all this isn't a bad line.

I know they're not scoring and that's a problem.  But sticking them together should keep the puck in the other team's end for good swaths of time.  Plus they're the biggest line by far and they'll be hard to defend against so even if they're not scoring, they'll be drawing decent assignments and wearing those lines out, thus things easier for the other lines to do so.  

If you're going to put your heavy hitters and big guys out to bruise Giroux, Coots and the kids, then you're leaving your softer lines out against the JayVeeHazies, not generally a good idea as they're gonna score eventually if you give them room.  

Initially my gut wanted to stick a Frost, Farabee, Lindblom or TK with them, but on further review, maybe that will come in time... but Jake and JVR should really be scoring more on the PP than even strength anyway.  I feel like even if they were firing on all cylinders and scoring a bunch of goals, I feel like as an even strength line, their role would predominantly be in a play driving capacity anyway.  

Not that they wouldn't be trying to score, but just that we wouldn't necessarily be expecting a boat load of even strength goals coming from them.  

More to be sure.  But I dont' feel like sticking them together should probably hurt anything.  Hopefully all of them figure it out soon and maybe together, but even if they don't, it's not a nightmare line just because they're not scoring.   

• Like 1