Hathaway is a spitter (poll)

yave1964

should Hathaway be suspended for spitting on Gudbranson in a fight?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. should Hathaway be suspended for spitting on Gudbranson in a fight?

• Yes- yuck
    • no- heat of the moment

Tempers flared late in the second last night, things got out of hand, Hathaway spat on Erik Gudbranson in the scrum. Suspendable?

"That is about as low as you can go," said Gubranson after the game, "It is something you dont do in our game and he did it."

Hathaway seems like a jerk. He elbowed Grant's head on the ice too.

Then again, Gudbranson sucked punched him when the linesman was between them which understandably infuriated Hathaway and should be considered in the context.

Dang, Leipsic delivered a nice clean hit!

According to the NHL rule book it is worthy of a game misconduct penalty. Ranks right up there with kneeing, spearing, and boarding. Seems kind of odd to me...wonder if it was left over from the days when diseases like tuberculosis and influenza were easily transmitted by spitting...

It's basically a universal sign of disrespect.

@Hockey-78 @IllaZilla

To me, you have to suspend Hathaway for spitting, simply nothing else will do HOWEVER Gudbranson  sucker punched Hathaway twice while Hathaway could not retaliate as he had an official draped all over him. Gudbranson deserves his fair share of the blame for the situation getting that out of hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Then again, Gudbranson sucked punched him when the linesman was between them which understandably infuriated Hathaway and should be considered in the context.

No excuse for the spitting, but...the sucker punch, so ......

I don't condone it, but i understand it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@Hockey-78 @IllaZilla

To me, you have to suspend Hathaway for spitting, simply nothing else will do HOWEVER Gudbranson  sucker punched Hathaway twice while Hathaway could not retaliate as he had an official draped all over him. Gudbranson deserves his fair share of the blame for the situation getting that out of hand.

I'm not arguing the suspension. It's in the rule book that certain penalties are worthy of a suspension. Spitting is one of them.

I just find it odd that spitting, which does no physical harm what-so-ever, is grouped in with kneeing, boarding, and spearing, which can cause a good deal of physical harm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

@Hockey-78 @IllaZilla

Absolutely. Maybe a game would do. To both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brewin Flames said:

No excuse for the spitting, but...the sucker punch, so ......

I don't condone it, but i understand it.

I share this sentiment.

Has there been many spittings before? If this is a precedent they have to make an example of him. And Erik Moronson too.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

HOWEVER Gudbranson  sucker punched Hathaway twice while Hathaway could not retaliate as he had an official draped all over him

I wouldn't call that a sucker punch. It was a short jab with his arm that was grabbing his jersey. They each had a hold of each other and  either one of them could have done that. Hathaway wasn't exactly doing his utmost to skate away. 

That was a beauty of a jab by Gudbranson I have to say. Love it. 

• Like 1