Game 22: Flyers vs Canes 11/21/19 7:00 pm

OccamsRazor

I sure hope this team can snap out this funk.

They have to do this themselves. Ain't no one coming to save them or do it for them.

Lace em up and go get this win.

FLYERS 

28 Claude Giroux - 48 Morgan Frost - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 49 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk - 13 Kevin Hayes - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Andy Andreoff - 12 Michael Raffl - 18 Tyler Pitlick

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers

37 Brian Elliott
79 Carter Hart

Power Play 1: Giroux, JVR, Konecny, Provorov, Voracek
Power Play 2: Couturier, Lindblom, Farabee, Gostisbehere, Niskanen

Scratches: 44 Chris Stewart (healthy), 8 Robert Hägg (healthy), 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL).

Injured reserve: 21 Scott Laughton (broken right index finger)

Injured non-roster: 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines)

HURRICANES

37 Andrei Svechnikov - 20 Sebastian Aho - 86 Teuvo Teräväinen
18 Ryan Dzingel - 11 Jordan Staal - 13 Warren Foegele
21 Nino Niederreiter - 71 Lucas Wallmark - 88 Martin Necas
23 Brock McGinn - 43 Eetu Luostarinen - 48 Jordan Martinook

74 Jaccob Slavin - 19 Dougie Hamilton
6 Joel Edmundson - 22 Brett Pesce
51 Jake Gardiner - 57 Trevor van Riemsdyk

34 Petr Mrazek
[47 James Reimer]

Power Play 1: Svechnikov, Aho, Dzingel, Teräväinen, Hamilton
Power Play 2: Niederreiter, Staal, Wallmark, Gardiner, Necas

Scratches: 4 Haydn Fleury (healthy), 56 Erik Haula (knee, Nov. 17)

Good lord Jake please score that 200th goal so you can get the monkey off ya back!

I do like seeing Morgan in that #48 out there. Sure hope he can turn into the clutch Mr. Briere.

Man i miss those days of having guys who were dangerous with the puck on their stick...even the days when Giroux and Jake were so lethal.

While looking at old stuff...remember when the Captain was lethal???

Here is Giroux and Coots hat tricks in the playoffs vs the Pens. A good watch if you have time.

Back when another 19 year old was in his first year...not only did he get his first playoff goal but got a hatty to boot.

• Like 1

If the Flyer can get the one time lethal power play back to firing on all cylinders it would help a lot.

A few weeks back the were 6th over all.  Now after there free fall they are down to 15th in the NHL.

19th in the NHL in goals for per game....not no where good enough when you look at this roster.

The team is tied for 8th in goals against per game despite their recent slide but it has to get better too.

Guys have to keep skating and get puck into the offensive zone you can't score if you don't have the puck.

Tied for 4th in the NHL in shots per game at 34. But i wish there was some where that rated the quality of those shots.

And here is a very startling fact for me:

Flyers lead the NHL in shots against per game at only 28.9.

3rd overall in faceoffs. 53.4.

Despite all their warts they are some how clinging to that last wild card spot but could fall out of that tonight if they don't win.

Greetings:

We are the underdog in this match-up:

https://www.thesportsgeek.com/nhl/flyers-vs-hurricanes-nhl-pick-november-21st-2019/

The O and B are 4-9 in our last 13 at Raleigh.  We have not been a good away team, and Mr. Hart hasn't been that effective on the road (not sure which is cause or effect).

This is a "speed-skill" club that's been hard to contain for the last several seasons.  It is a good Metro Division test.

On a broader note, I have to agree with some of the recent commentaries about G-V-H.  Are we witnessing a serious "aging" process.  Are youngins are carrying the scoring burden.

Ghost's performance is another concern.  Provorov has replaced him as the "real" PP quarterback.  We never expected big D from Ghost. Now his O is lacking.  

So--this game is really the beginning of the second quarter.  I hope for good things but wonder if the man of action (Fletcher) is thinking about the reshape of his roster.  On that score--Braun is -13.  That's not a real good sign.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

On a broader note, I have to agree with some of the recent commentaries about G-V-H.  Are we witnessing a serious "aging" process. 

I think it has something to do with it.

Some of it the guys are just pressing to much.

And some of or i think most of it is the fact that you can't force chemistry.

It must be developed between the involved players and sometimes/most times it just never comes to fruition..

So just because you slap guys like JVR, Hayes and Voracek together on the surface we look and say that is too much talent making too much money not to work is one of the biggest problems i think.

When in actuality what you have created maybe is a line where 3 guys are struggling just to throw anything together trying to make something happens just so everyone gets off their nuts.

Pressure remember can make diamonds bust it can also burst pipes.

So which is it??

First things first they need to start scoring goals getting leads should help.

Get the power play back to working.

And then keep the puck out of your net all this can help ease the burden.

Winning helps everything.

And please, please please give Jake a goddamn goal.

From the "eyeball" approach, it looks like the team reacts better "on the fly" to opponents' style than during the Hakstol era.  Their special teams play has perked up.

On the other hand, I agree with one assessment that says the following: AV's style of "attack hockey" requires four competent lines.  I see a Flyers team with one competent offensive line and not much else.  Frost might help.  But we have JVR, G, V, and Ghost taking a lot of cap and not producing.  The next 20 games might bring change. Or it may need to be induced by trade:

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-johnny-gaudreau-trade-jake-voracek-draft-picks-james-van-riemsdyk-rumors-20191120.html

Howie

The guy they need to get going is the only former 30 goal scorer on the team sure Jake needs to get going to but JVR is the guy who can start actually making shots count when he is on we saw it last January were he put up 8 goals and 2 assist in 13 games.

And it continued on for the remainder of the year....well i would prefer to get him going now than wait till it turns 2020.

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

C'mon JVR FIND THE TWINE!!!!!!!

His chances of doing so are only marginally improved by the fact that the twine is draped around a 4x6 red metal cage.

Edited by Podein25
  • Haha 1