Player Spotlight II : Bo Horvat

TropicalFruitGirl26

60550612_HorvatCaptain2.jpg.f9f8f7a6e18bc0d26784f0e20c30074b.jpg

Bowie William Horvat.
Just this season, was made the Canucks' 14th franchise captain at age 24....and I think the organization made an excellent choice to slap the "C" on this particular player as I really do see him as being quite representative of the Canucks moving forward.

Hard working, well rounded, not as much fanfare as some of his teammates such as Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, or even Quinn Hughes, but very effective, is an absolute face off monster, and as he showed recently when he notched his 100th goal of his still young career, then followed that up with his 1st career hat trick, he can put the puck in the net just when you think he all about just making the plays.

Time will tell, but his relatively low profile in the face of more well known teammates, his skillset, maybe even his demeanor, reminds me of a young Patrice Bergeron.
And if Horvat's career mimics Bergeron's, then the Canucks truly have a guy they can build around for years to come in addition to their higher profile guys

And just like Bergeron, I don't think he will be much of a "kept secret" when it comes to talking about some of the league's best overall players if he continues his improvements year after year like he has.

If I were to knock something about his game, perhaps it is decision making under extreme pressure....I've seen him turn the puck over a bit more than he probably should given his abilities.
Just 24, right now, I will attribute that to experience, or lack thereof, in dealing with the league's best each and every night on the ice.
I suspect he will get better in that area, sooner than later.

@jammer2
You got anything you want to mention about this very good young player?
I mention you because if I am not mistaken, you were one of the first posters on this site to talk about him even before he made the NHL and seemed quite high on his abilities even then.

13 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

60550612_HorvatCaptain2.jpg.f9f8f7a6e18bc0d26784f0e20c30074b.jpg

Bowie William Horvat.
Just this season, was made the Canucks' 14th franchise captain at age 24....and I think the organization made an excellent choice to slap the "C" on this particular player as I really do see him as being quite representative of the Canucks moving forward.

Hard working, well rounded, not as much fanfare as some of his teammates such as Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, or even Quinn Hughes, but very effective, is an absolute face off monster, and as he showed recently when he notched his 100th goal of his still young career, then followed that up with his 1st career hat trick, he can put the puck in the net just when you think he all about just making the plays.

Time will tell, but his relatively low profile in the face of more well known teammates, his skillset, maybe even his demeanor, reminds me of a young Patrice Bergeron.
And if Horvat's career mimics Bergeron's, then the Canucks truly have a guy they can build around for years to come in addition to their higher profile guys

And just like Bergeron, I don't think he will be much of a "kept secret" when it comes to talking about some of the league's best overall players if he continues his improvements year after year like he has.

If I were to knock something about his game, perhaps it is decision making under extreme pressure....I've seen him turn the puck over a bit more than he probably should given his abilities.
Just 24, right now, I will attribute that to experience, or lack thereof, in dealing with the league's best each and every night on the ice.
I suspect he will get better in that area, sooner than later.

@jammer2
You got anything you want to mention about this very good young player?
I mention you because if I am not mistaken, you were one of the first posters on this site to talk about him even before he made the NHL and seemed quite high on his abilities even then.

Horvat started for the under 17 Team Canada and WJ squad. Hyped from a very young age. I hoped he would become a star, but he seems like a below average 1C. His 4th year, last season netted 61 pts. Slight uptick so far in year 5...I have him coming in around 65 pts...maybe 70 if Boser and the boys can stay healthy he joins the 70+ club.

One positive is 6 pp goals already...after getting only 7 all last year. Quinn Hughes and his fine qbing skills provide all Van players with an elite puck distributor. I think his ceiling is 80 pts but some things have to go right for that to happen. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Horvat started for the under 17 Team Canada and WJ squad. Hyped from a very young age. I hoped he would become a star, but he seems like a below average 1C. His 4th year, last season netted 61 pts. Slight uptick so far in year 5...I have him coming in around 65 pts...maybe 70 if Boser and the boys can stay healthy he joins the 70+ club.

One positive is 6 pp goals already...after getting only 7 all last year. Quinn Hughes and his fine qbing skills provide all Van players with an elite puck distributor. I think his ceiling is 80 pts but some things have to go right for that to happen. 

Below average 1C, eh?
Does that mean, he is an elite 2C then? :biggrin:

With the exception of the PP, I don't believe he gets to play with Boeser or Pettersson very often.
He HAS found great chemistry with JT Miller, however and I think each player has helped bolster the other in that relationship.

But again, I know you knew about Horvat well before many of us here, so your commentary is very much appreciated.
Maybe he can still become that big star you hoped he would be..... when he came in, he didn't get nearly the TOI he is getting now and once the previous core that had dominated the formerly named North Western Division was finally disbanded, it was very tough sledding for ALL Vancouver players till probably last season when the team, and Horvat showed they are moving in the right direction.

His team's next game is Saturday, on the road, against a very tough Washington Capitals team. I wonder who Bo's assignment will be that game...……..

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Below average 1C, eh?
Does that mean, he is an elite 2C then? :biggrin:

With the exception of the PP, I don't believe he gets to play with Boeser or Pettersson very often.
He HAS found great chemistry with JT Miller, however and I think each player has helped bolster the other in that relationship.

But again, I know you knew about Horvat well before many of us here, so your commentary is very much appreciated.
Maybe he can still become that big star you hoped he would be..... when he came in, he didn't get nearly the TOI he is getting now and once the previous core that had dominated the formerly named North Western Division was finally disbanded, it was very tough sledding for ALL Vancouver players till probably last season when the team, and Horvat showed they are moving in the right direction.

His team's next game is Saturday, on the road, against a very tough Washington Capitals team. I wonder who Bo's assignment will be that game...……..

He's with Boser and Pet on the top pp...not a huge JT Miller fan, but you can do worse with a 5×5 linemate. Seems like some forward depth is needed. At least they have Quinn who is indeed the straw that stirs the drink.