Cale Makar's Assault On The Record Book

jammer2

Makar.jpg.5b1f32d6cd068b17f73220e30a41b070.jpg

OK....some crazy stuff going on in Ave's land! The all time record for a rookie defensemen is 76 by the great Larry Murphy. Even Ray Bourque had under 70...he had 4th best with 65 rookie pts. Makar is on pace for 93. Staggering. 

The scary part is he is doing this with Rantanen and Landeskog both out with serious injuries. Cales hockey sense is outrageous for a rookie...howitzer of a shot...wicked moves, agile and smart. He reminds me of Bourque as a rookie. He has 100 pt potential...as silly as that sounds in this day and age. 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
Added photo and promoted content
  • Like 1

Unbelievable player.

He sure made the Minnesota Wild look silly on at least two occasions in last night's game, even though his team lost.

Maybe some teams still underestimate him because he is a rookie...and a defenseman too....but after watching up close and personal (about as up close as one can get watching a hockey player on a 55 inch UHD TV anyways :bigteeth: ), against the Wild, I don't think teams will continue to make that mistake.

I did hear about the crazy pace he is on from NHL Network yesterday and the record he could possibly smash.

Still a long season and I am betting he will have some lows along the way, but even if he doesn't break the record, he could be the odds on favorite for the Calder this season.

The Avalanche are looking like pure geniuses at this juncture trading away Tyson Barrie for Kadri, then giving Makar the minutes Barrie would have been playing.

Very exciting player and reason enough, along with MacKinnon, for even non Avs fans to watch some of their games.

I thought Jack Hughes was gonna kill it in Jersey...so I went Jack in the 4th round and Makar in the 5th in NAHANA. Was gonna reverse that but thought Jack might be gone...tough start for him but think he will get better as the year goes. 

It gets used to much these days...but time to start mentioning the G word in regards to Cale....as in generational.

Without a doubt... Almost an unmatched skillset.  And I don't even care about his points and other stats.  Stats are just stats.  Watching the confidence he plays with, his hockey IQ, his ice vision, man.... This guy has stardom written all over him.  And to add insult to inquiry, we could've had him, but in 2017 we selected Nolan Patrick ahead of him.

1 minute ago, Mad Dog said:

And to add insult to inquiry, we could've had him, but in 2017 we selected Nolan Patrick ahead of him.

Just going over this in the "Patrick is Injured" thread... Hindsight is hindsight and Patrick and Hischier were the consensus 1/2 picks for everybody in that draft.

That said, there are references to "potential generational defense talent" for Makar in many of the draft previews I've looked at.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

And Jeff Carter had 60-goal potential, amirite? :thumbsu::poke:

:hocky:

Only missed by 14....lol. I'll say it right here...Makar gets 78 pts this season...breaking the record by 2 pts...best 5th round pick...maybe ever?🙈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Just going over this in the "Patrick is Injured" thread... Hindsight is hindsight and Patrick and Hischier were the consensus 1/2 picks for everybody in that draft.

That said, there are references to "potential generational defense talent" for Makar in many of the draft previews I've looked at.

If draft previews are being purchased, I have a recommendation. It's the Hockey News Top 100 21 and under. They attempt to rank them...including undrafted 17 year olds. Fun stuff and some off Flyer prospect placement. I thought Frost should have been ranked higher. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, radoran said:

I know Hirch and Patrick were the unquestioned #1 and #2 that year..but part of me wonders if the Flyers strayed from BPA because of sky high expectations of a young Ghost...Sanhiem, Provy..Morin etc...the shine has lifted on some...but did the Flyers ignore Makar because they thought they were set on D? Patrick had injury concerns and still went forward...??

7 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Only missed by 14....lol. I'll say it right here...Makar gets 78 pts this season...breaking the record by 2 pts...best 5th round pick...maybe ever?🙈

Not 5th round, 4th overall...

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I know Hirch and Patrick were the unquestioned #1 and #2 that year..but part of me wonders if the Flyers strayed from BPA because of sky high expectations of a young Ghost...Sanhiem, Provy..Morin etc...the shine has lifted on some...but did the Flyers ignore Makar because they thought they were set on D?

Yes.

And so did the Devils and so did Dallas - who took a different defenceman...

Drafting is an imperfect art.

20 hours ago, radoran said:

Not 5th round, 4th overall...

Yes.

And so did the Devils and so did Dallas - who took a different defenceman...

Drafting is an imperfect art.

Was talking the NAHANA draft...not the NHL...5th round..really our 10th after assigned keepers.

• Haha 1

The kid is great. He is one hell of a good skater, and his awareness on the ice is beyond his years. Rest assured, I will try but probably won't get him on my fantasy teams this season, but next year I'll try it again. It is amazing the points Makar is putting up without a full season of Rantanen or Landeskog,

• Like 2

8 hours ago, radoran said:

No question a nice pickup for FHL

That's why I don't win in fantasy leagues anymore... I don't have time to keep up with the prospects and developing players anymore - I just have no time for that.  And it keeper leagues, that's key.

• Like 1