Game 24: Canucks at Flyers; 11/25/19 @ 7

Howie58

Greetings:

Here is an interesting take:

https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/11-25-2019/vancouver-canucks-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-3158/

The Canucks appear to be on the upswing; we pick up points but have lost six of seven.   AV and the Brass have to be concerned with our lack of scoring.  Third period swoons don't help.

13 hours ago, Howie58 said:

The Canucks appear to be on the upswing

Strangely that might actually be a good thing Flyers sure struggle against team who are struggling...if fact the last couple years the Flyers have been the team you wanted to play to get out your slump....i'll never forget the winless Coyotes who hadn't won a game in 10 straight.

Well they played the Flyers....i'll let you guess what happened in that one if you can't remember.

Anyways it seems the Flyers play better against better teams.

But the Canucks just slayed the giant in the Capitals last night. So it won't be an easy task by any means.

Canucks have won 2 in a row and are 3-5-2 in their last 10. So there is a glimmer of hope.

Stranger things have happened. If Flyers can't get their power play firing it would help.

Anyone seen JVR....how about tell him to finally suit up since he is getting paid...

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Anyways it seems the Flyers play better against better teams.

This had been driving me CRAZY for the last...um....5 years?!...(not that the flyers play well against talent...but seem to "not show up" or try and coast against the lesser (more hungry) teams!

And I think is a symptom of the larger issue....

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

Here is an interesting take:

https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/11-25-2019/vancouver-canucks-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-3158/

The Canucks appear to be on the upswing; we pick up points but have lost six of seven.   AV and the Brass have to be concerned with our lack of scoring.  Third period swoons don't help.

Two stats I found hard to believe at first glance...

2. The Flyers are 8-0-2 when leading after 2 periods. So we have been near perfect when leading after 2, and also have had the lead after 2 in almost half our games. 

• Like 1

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 48 Morgan Frost - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 49 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk - 12 Michael Raffl -18 Tyler Pitlick

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 5 Phil Myers

79 Carter Hart
37 Brian Elliott

Power Play 1: Giroux, JVR, Frost, Konecny, Provorov
Power Play 2: Couturier, Lindblom, Voracek, Gostisbehere, Niskanen

Scratches: 8 Robert Hägg (healthy), 44 Chris Stewart (healthy), 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL)
LTIR: 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines)

Canucks

70 Tanner Pearson - 40 Elias Pettersson - 6 Brock Boeser
9 J.T. Miller - 53 Bo Horvat - 71 Zack MacEwen
17 Josh Leivo - 88 Adam Gaudette - 18 Jake Virtanen
59 Tim Schaller - 21 Loui Eriksson - 44 Tyler Graovac

23 Alex Edler (?) - 51 Troy Stecher
43 Quinn Hughes - 8 Chris Tanev
4 Jordie Benn - 57 Tyler Myers

25 Jacob Markström
[35 Thatcher Demko]

Scratches: 5 Oskar Fantenberg (healthy), 47 Sven Baertschi (healthy), 83 Jay Beagle (hip, day-to-day), 23 Alex Edler (banged up in Washington game, questionable).
Injured reserve: 20 Brandon Sutter (groin), 26 Antoine Roussel (March 2019 ACL surgery), 79 Micheal Ferland (concussion).

Only the third game I've gotten to watch this season...they've won the other two 😉

Wow, Frost top-line center eh?  I'm excited to get to see him, I saw that killer top-shelf first NHL score last week...YIKES.  He'll do that #48 jersey proud if he keeps THAT up.  How's the kid looked?   Can't be too bad if he's centering G and TK.

Go Flyers

I have a question. I don't have time to watch other teams, i only watch the Flyers..

Are all the other teams as boring to watch or is  it just the Flyers. The crowd is dead , the games have no flow, no hitting its painfully boring to watch. I inderstand the game has changed and theres alot more skill,  so then why are the games so god damn boring? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Stop the presses a regulation win by Voracek did I just type that?

Finally we hold on. Our defense is really settling in and our GA is much better than expected this season. If only our offense could start to score we could do some damage.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I have a question. I don't have time to watch other teams, i only watch the Flyers..

Are all the other teams as boring to watch or is  it just the Flyers. The crowd is dead , the games have no flow, no hitting its painfully boring to watch. I inderstand the game has changed and theres alot more skill,  so then why are the games so god damn boring? 

I can't speak to the boring angle because, like you, I only watch the Flyers. 

But the WFC does feel super dead and lame compared to other arenas... 

I think it was the NYI game where I was blown away at how loud their arena was. 

I will say that maybe a big part of it is that the gameday entertainment in the arena works as hard as possible to keep you distracted from the actual game. I remember being frustrated with that when I worked for the Sens.

Edited by brelic

@RonJeremy

@brelic

$ bills y'all

There are far fewer rabid fans showing up at the rink because the rabid fans don't make the $ 600 to be able to spend it on a Monday at the rink.

It's over 160 for 3 people to sit top ring in the wfc.

Sports leagues are pricing a great deal of their customers out. It's not just the NHL.

The middle income joe that would most likely identify with the team and would show up and out for them can't come to rink but once or twice a year. 

Money makes the concourses nicer and the screens larger but kills vibe because less people can actually afford to use the amenities. 

I go to WFC once a year, I hate $13 miller lites and $ 25 chicken finger platters.  It's stupid expensive, and a thing that needs to be planned and saved  up for.

About the Game:

The Flyers played a little better than they did vs Calgary, I thought they played well vs Calgary. 

Got a better result, last night.  I think the puck was in the Vancouver end of the ice for 17 minutes of the 2nd period and that's counting 2 penalty kills. 

I thought the refereeing was weird. The flyers dominated large portions of that game , Vancouver was chasing and clutching and interfering and it didn't matter.  If a guy in an orange sweater looked at the blue paint funny the  arm went up.

It was noticeably bad last night. 

On 11/24/2019 at 10:05 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Anyone seen JVR....how about tell him to finally suit up since he is getting paid...

So strange that this team seems to decide to take turns scoring and going ice cold.  

I'm not certain I agree with his demotion to the 4th line in favor of Laughton playing 4C.  

It didn't work out last night.

Maybe they wanted to get Laughton some easier or more minutes in his return, but I genuinely feel like Laughton needs to be the 4C... regardless of what you do with JVR.

The thing about JVR, Jake and Hayes is that none of them had been playing poorly.  They just weren't scoring.  Hayes and Jake got it going, now JVR's the odd man out, but playing him less than 10:00 with Raffl and Pitlick isn't going to do him any favors.

With Laughton at 4C, Raffl and 4LW, they're basically in what I see as their ideal lineup that doesn't include Patrick. 

I'm not 100% sure what to do if Patrick comes back, but I'm not going to worry about that.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey a win.

And Jake gets the GWer.

Trade him tonight!

His value will never be higher!

a different kind of fan might eat crow and say he was wrong after what he wrote about Voracek in the "shortest books" thread, but i am not that kind of fan. if i've learned anything from this Administration it is to double down, so I am doubling down AND taking credit for his 1-game turnaround last night.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm not certain I agree with his demotion to the 4th line in favor of Laughton playing 4C.  

It didn't work out last night.

I don't either especially after he comes out and says his best players need to be their best players than at least give him the minutes and linemates to succeed with.

Not busting on Raffl and Pitlick but JVR isn't a 4th line guy and needs the minutes to succeed.

You can't keep giving Jake chance after chance after chance and then not give JVR the chances.

JFC he is making 7 mill more for several years give him the best chances to score and that ain't on the 4th line.

If for no other reason than to show case him for a possible trade ain't no one going to be interested in a 7 million dollar 4th line LW.

19 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

a different kind of fan might eat crow and say he was wrong after what he wrote about Voracek in the "shortest books" thread, but i am not that kind of fan. if i've learned anything from this Administration it is to double down, so I am doubling down AND taking credit for his 1-game turnaround last night.

He had a goal against the flames too.

3 points in 3 games since joining the Coots line.

We've seen with Jake & JVR that they need a strong play making centerman to score.  I think we've seen clearly that despite the $7million price tag, Hayes isn't that guy.  He does a lot of things extremely well and is an asset to this team, but he's not going to make plays to get JVR or Jake going.  

Frost likely isn't experienced enough to play that role without a Giroux by his side.

Patrick is still out.

If either one of those two factors changes, then I think you could see lines shifting again before the end of the season in a way that gets multiple lines going at once.  

It would be nice right now if the Frosty Gineckneys and the Oskar VoraCootses (Jake CouturaBloms?) could both put it in the net the same night, but they were both buzzing pretty good last night.  They were both crushing the possession and play driving.

Actually all 4 lines did pretty damn well with that last night.  The 4th gave up the goal on a turnover and Hagg got a little dominated, but other than that, they played a strong game.  It would just be nice in any and all of these games if there was just one more goal coming from all this dominance.  

It would mean several more points and position places.