akim aliu accused bill peters of racist comments Poll

yave1964

Bill Peters what should happen with the Aliu allegation if proven accurate?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Bill Peters what should happen with the Aliu allegation if proven accurate?

• Fire him on the spot
    • It was a decade ago in another league in another time- nothing
    • suspension and or fine

Akim Aliu was a 20 year old second round pick and a decent prospect a decade ago, he now claims that his head coach with the Rockford Ice Hogs, current Flames bench boss Bill Peters used a racial comment directed towards him. Aliu was born in Nigeria.

in an interview with TSN's Frank Seravalli published Tuesday, Akim made specific mention of Peters, saying the incident happened during the 2009-10 season while the two were with the Rockford Ice Hogs of the American Hockey League.

"He walked in before a morning pre-game skate and said 'Hey Akim, I'm sick of you playing that n----- s---,' " Aliu told TSN, in reference to Aliu playing hip-hop music. "He said 'I'm sick of hearing this n-----s f------ other n-----s in the a-- stuff.' 

He then walked out like nothing ever happened. You could hear a pin drop in the room, everything went dead silent. I just sat down in my stall, didn't say a word."

Seravalli reported two other players on that team — Simon Pepin and Peter MacArthur — independently corroborated the incident.

Ooof.

Aliu had a handful of games with the Flames years ago and has bounced around the AHL, the ECHL, the KHL, the Slovakian league and Sweden finally getting the hint and calling it a career this season. His tweet that started the uproar did not mention Peters by name but the Flames have confirmed that the league is looking into Peters.

According to Aliu when he confronted Peters over the racist comments Peters went to GM Stan Bowman demanding that Aliu had to go, in spite of being third on the team in goals at the time Bowman shipped he was sent to the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL. 

So the question is..... (see poll above).

In this day of poliical correct a lot of folks might not like what I am going to say.

I have used the N word in my life, not something I am proud of but in my younger days many years ago it came out of my mouth. I have also used the very vile C word both about women and to their face on more than one occasion, again, that was a long time ago. 

I am not that guy any more, decades have went by, raising four daughters, having a loving wife have mellowed me a lot, but I challenge those who live in glass houses to throw the first stone. I believe we all have something like that in our past.

That said, I get it that stuck with Aliu who was a second rounder and something of a prospect saw his career derailed and I can see him, ten years on and out of the game wondering the what ifs and saying to himself that moment in time was the beginning of the end for him as a serious prospect, and I can see that he may even be right. 

I dont for a moment believe that Peters should be canned for the comments, I could see a case for a fine, for mandatory racial sensitivity classes for him, mayyybeee even a suspension although I personally wouldnt suspend him but it is a different world than it was in my day.

It was wrong when I said the stuff I said in my youth, it was wrong what Peters is alleged to have said, but fireable? For words spoken a decade ago I dont believe so.

• Like 1

Flames have fired Bill Peters as the team's head coach after investigating the allegations made by former player Akim Aliu.

Jeff Marek of Sportsnet said Bill Peters has been fired, and now the Flames are saying that's not true!

I may have jumped the gun .

Edited by intheslot
added letters
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

And Aliu; why indeed make such up? In the old times using the N word was probably an ordinary thing for coaches and players but times change... I'm fairly certain there were coaches like Babc0ck too who used to torment players with all kinds of means.

From TSN:

"Speaking publicly for the first time since he made the allegation on Twitter, the Nigerian-born Aliu said Peters made the remarks in the AHL’s Rockford Ice Hogs dressing room before a morning skate during the 2009-10 season while the 20-year-old Aliu controlled the team’s music.

“He walked in before a morning pre-game skate and said ‘Hey Akim, I’m sick of you playing that n----- s---,’ ” Aliu told TSN, with Peters, who was then the Ice Hogs head coach, referring to Aliu’s selection of hip-hop music. “He said ‘I’m sick of hearing this n-----s f------ other n-----s in the ass stuff.’ 

“He then walked out like nothing ever happened. You could hear a pin drop in the room, everything went dead silent. I just sat down in my stall, didn’t say a word.”

Two of Aliu’s Rockford teammates who were in the room at the time of the alleged incident, Simon Pepin and Peter MacArthur, independently corroborated Aliu’s account to TSN on Tuesday.

"I think everyone should be held accountable for their actions or words spoken," Pepin said.

Aliu said Rockford team captain later confronted Peters about the incident in the coach’s office. Dowell could not immediately be reached for comment. When Peters then called Aliu into his office to talk about it, Aliu said Peters did not apologize. Instead, Peters again expressed his displeasure in Aliu’s choice of music for the dressing room, with Aliu saying Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this n----- s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

https://www.tsn.ca/akim-aliu-speaks-publicly-on-allegations-against-calgary-flames-head-coach-bill-peters-1.1403974

Confirmed by two other players in the room, so that's just awful to hear.

When I played baseball, I had a manager say something re: race to me, in front of all my teammates, that would get him thrown off the team in about a 1/4 second today, but didn't raise an eyebrow back then. Back then, everybody just laughed.

10 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Peters was fired, so there you go. There should be no tolerance for stuff like that, anywhere. Plus, the Flames stink right now, so that gave the franchise another reason to fire him.

if the Flames were sitting at 15-4-1 and so such I believe it might be a different story. I agree it should never be tolerated in any situation period but it was a decade ago.

I spoke to my wife about it getting her feel for it, she says it goes far beyond simply being a profane word spoken by a profane person, it was spoken by his superior, the man who literally had his career in the palm of his hands at that time. So after her pointing that out (rather heatedly and using profanity at me for attempting to justify it) I think I have to backtrack and agree with her, as Aliu's superior it makes it infinitely worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow.

So wait how does something like this not get out till 10 years later.

Reports say he isn't fired yet till the investigation is completed.

I am just shocked he would be so dumb to say some stuff like that.

And if he did he needs to go.

I will wait for the rest of this to come out.

Just floored.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Confirmed by two other players in the room, so that's just awful to hear.

Just read this after I made my last comment.

Yes he needs to go. Can't have that in hockey today I don't care if they were undefeated.

Fire his ass.

According to TSN, he isn't fired yet, but I think it's just a matter of time. Some of Aliu's teammates have confirmed his statements, so Peters might as well start emptying his office as we speak.

@yave1964 In my head, my very first response to "will he be fired for this?" was to think "Gee, to get fired for something you said 10 years ago" but immediately followed it up with "Yeah, but he should have been fired on the spot, 10 years ago."

• Like 1

So, it would seem that the players are having their Harvey Weinstein moment, where years of ill treatment and abuse from former coaches is coming to light. This and the Babcock story won't be the last of it, and may not even come close to the worst of it.

Just watch.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

@yave1964 In my head, my very first response to "will he be fired for this?" was to think "Gee, to get fired for something you said 10 years ago" but immediately followed it up with "Yeah, but he should have been fired on the spot, 10 years ago."

That is more or less what my wife said and after reviewing her colorful comments directed at me for being a jerk, I have to agree with her. Either that or sleep in the garage, lol and it is too cold for that. As she mentioned it is a huge difference between a friend, an enemy, someone on your level making such comments versus the person who literally holds your career in their hands so yeah, I get it.

• Like 1

In my last year of baseball, I was one of the starting pitchers (every manager loves a lefty) and playing centre when not pitching. One game, I flat-out missed the cut-off man, and my manager was livid with me. Fair enough, I blew the play. Berated and screamed. Again, that's fine. It was the stuff he said, though: "Jesus Christ! Maybe if you pretended that the cut-off was another prairie n****r, and you were throwing a bottle of beer at him, you'd be able to actually hit him with the throw!"

Everybody around, including those in the stands that heard it, just about pissed themselves laughing. It sucked.

There was nothing I could do. It was his ball club, and I had a small chance for a scholarship, so what could I say? Plus, I was a kid. It's just not always easy to stand up for yourself, particularly when everybody laughed at what was said.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Sad 2

@JR Ewing

Wow. What an awful story. The fact that you held it together should be commended.

Peters DID NOT call Aliu the word, he insulted his music by using the word which certainly makes him tone deaf and an ass hole, to me it is the fact that he shipped him to the ECHL and Aliu watched his career die a slow death over the course of a decade because he copped an attitude over what his coach had said. Jake Dowell who is one of the most decent men to ever lace up skates went to the coach and supposedly Peters used the word again to describe the music to Dowell. So far Dowell has not been available for comment. 

Just damn. no place for that in this world, as I said I have had my share of things that I wish that I could take back in my youth but they were never towards subordinates. It makes it much worse. You should have kicked your coach in the nuts.

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

@JR Ewing

Wow. What an awful story. The fact that you held it together should be commended.

I'll do you the honour of being honest: I was just trying to not to cry in front of everybody. I was more humiliated than angry at the time. He's dead now, but if he were alive today and asked, I'm pretty sure he would say something along the lines of "Yeah, yeah... He didn't miss the cut-off man again, did he?"

I didn't, actually.   lol...

I didn't want more of what he gave me that day.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

So, it would seem that the players are having their Harvey Weinstein moment, where years of ill treatment and abuse from former coaches is coming to light. This and the Babcock story won't be the last of it, and may not even come close to the worst of it.

Just watch.

Yes, said the same thing a couple of hours ago and now, a couple of hours later, still stand firmly by my statement. :shifty:

• Like 1

Not one of Bill Peters' best days, professionally speaking:

Bill Peters has been put on blast by NHL players and it's sounding more and more like rightfully so. The latest is former Carolina Hurricanes player, Michal Jordan who spoke with TSN's Frank Seravalli about his time in Carolina.

"He kicked me pretty hard in the back during a game. Even the trainers and the other guys saw it. I was at that point in my career, like I just got there, so I couldn't say anything. I didn't want them to think I was crying. Me and my agent, we kept it secret. Now other guys are speaking out, so I felt like I could."

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/11/bill-peters-now-accused-of-kicking.html

32 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Yes, said the same thing a couple of hours ago and now, a couple of hours later, still stand firmly by my statement. :shifty:

agreed.

But.

Not so much Peters but Babs, does this mean that coaches such as torts, Babs or Q need to be replaced by kinder gentler coaches who allow the players to sit in their quiet place if someone hurts their feelings? Again, this comment has nothing to do with the Peters situation but more Babs.

Give me a jerk who wins over a kinder gentler coach who loses. Every day. Twice a day on Sunday.

10 hours ago, yave1964 said:

agreed.

But.

Not so much Peters but Babs, does this mean that coaches such as torts, Babs or Q need to be replaced by kinder gentler coaches who allow the players to sit in their quiet place if someone hurts their feelings? Again, this comment has nothing to do with the Peters situation but more Babs.

Give me a jerk who wins over a kinder gentler coach who loses. Every day. Twice a day on Sunday.

I know what you mean. People seem to have such a thin skin these days.

But: yes, I think they need to be replaced. I'm sure you can win championships without physical and mental abuse.

Read a time ago an article about OJ where he told once Keenan was unhappy about his play. I believe he had scored 2 goals in a game but he had avoided Stevens' check. So Keenan rang him up 3.30 AM and from 8.00 AM on made OJ work out an hour on exercise bike while Keenan repeatedly told him "you're a phucking pu$$y" and showed a four second clip of the event over and over again. For an hour?! Sounds like a torture to me.

These kind of a-holes cannot work as coaches and I don't think winning any championship justifies these kind of methods.

I'm going to guess the firing has more to do with the Flames underperforming and this being the straw that broke the camels back. I'm not sure he should be fired for something he said a decade ago on another team. Made to apologize...sure. Suspended? Ok. But as already mentioned, if the Flames were at the top of the standings...

But it sounds like this wasn't a one-off with Peters. The guy appears to have some anger issues.

Now how about getting the rappers who use that term to shut the hell up. It's sad that people worked so hard for generations to get rid of that derogatory term and these guys use it in a lot of... songs? ...lol good one. And not just once a decade ago.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

Michal Jordan's claim of being kicked by Peters and witnessing him punch and kick teammates also confirmed by Rod Brind'Amour.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/rod-brind-amour-it-for-sure-happened-the-two-issues-that-are-in-question~1840510

The video is doubtless blocked for those who celebrate Thanksgiving a month-and-a-half late.

• Haha 1