akim aliu accused bill peters of racist comments Poll

yave1964

Bill Peters what should happen with the Aliu allegation if proven accurate?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Bill Peters what should happen with the Aliu allegation if proven accurate?

• Fire him on the spot
    • It was a decade ago in another league in another time- nothing
    • suspension and or fine

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

But it sounds like this wasn't a one-off with Peters. The guy appears to have some anger issues.

I recall a clip from last year at practice where he went ballistic and was throwing **** everywhere.  Looked unhinged. Will try to find....

EDIT: it was the previous coach:

Edited by Podein25

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I recall a clip from last year at practice where he went ballistic and was throwing **** everywhere.  Looked unhinged. Will try to find....

EDIT: it was the previous coach:

You know what I took out of that? 

Sofa king obvious he's not paying for the sticks.

On 11/27/2019 at 4:00 AM, flyercanuck said:

I'm going to guess the firing has more to do with the Flames underperforming and this being the straw that broke the camels back. I'm not sure he should be fired for something he said a decade ago on another team. Made to apologize...sure. Suspended? Ok. But as already mentioned, if the Flames were at the top of the standings...

But it sounds like this wasn't a one-off with Peters. The guy appears to have some anger issues.

Now how about getting the rappers who use that term to shut the hell up. It's sad that people worked so hard for generations to get rid of that derogatory term and these guys use it in a lot of... songs? ...lol good one. And not just once a decade ago.

How 'bout us white guys don't tell POC how they can use that word?

I'm going to address Peters' alleged racism with another generalization which I know can be troublesome.  

We're nearing the end of the era wherein NHL hockey coaches were raised in rural Canada.  Rural Canada (and especially the prairies) is about the whitest place you can exist (I'm excluding First Nations in that sentence for a reason).  

I was raised in the rural Canadian Prairies and I was surrounded by racists.  I go on facebook and I see they have not evolved to any degree.  These people have never had to experience any other cultures and therefore don't understand or even appreciate them.  To understand them would be an inconvenience.  It would be like trying to understand the First Nations.  Why would they need to understand FN when they hold all the power over them anyway?

Maybe one benefit of the urbanization of our countries is that there will be less and less yokels to climb their way into positions of power.

• Uggh... 1

I'm pretty against vilifying people over comments and things they said over 10 years ago moat of the time.

Mostly because the hyper left wing approach to these situations is mind boggling.

That being said he should have been  fired on the spot back then. It's been decades since people could speak such racist drivel with impunity. Why it was buried so long is a mystery.

The creator of guardians of the galaxy being fired over tweets he made 15 years ago when such jokes were commonplace on the internet has me wondering when the creators of family guy and South park are going to get strung up.

In this day and age, the fact that a mere accusation can ruin a career without substantiating evidence is the reason thousands of usually middle of the spectrum people vote for douchbags simply because they visibly oppose it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Does it really matter what colour you are when you use a derogatory term?

I'll paraphrase Ta-Nehisi Coates:  it's a powerful thing for POC to take control of a word that white people invented and weaponized. 

I do get what you're saying though-it is the ugliest of words (and I talk like a sailor).  

31 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I'll paraphrase Ta-Nehisi Coates:  it's a powerful thing for POC to take control of a word that white people invented and weaponized. 

What about "ho" when referring to women? Is that ok because some rapper used the term? Or is it only ok to use if you're a woman? Same with the "C" word?

Sorry....I disagree. The "N" word is terrible no matter who's using it.

31 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I do get what you're saying though-it is the ugliest of words (and I talk like a sailor).  

Now this comment I can wrap my head around.

• Like 2