The Bortuzzo Arvidsson incident

yave1964

Robert Bortuzzo a couple of nights ago in a game between his Blues and the rival Preds crosschecked the living hell out of semi star forward Viktor Arvidsson in the back into the crossbar drawing a two minute minor penalty to which he reacted as if he were shocked and appalled that such a love tap was worthy of anything at all. Arvidsson sustained a very serious LBI and will miss up to the next six weeks, Bortuzzo met with the department of player safety and received a 4 game suspension.

Look, I like hard play but Bortuzzo, this isn't his first suspension for lining a player up from behind ( he did the same to Brock Nelson of the Isles a few years ago) here is a partial list of his crosschecking from behind or away from the play which seems to be his MO.

Nelson simply destroyed by a crosscheck no suspension just fined

Malkin crosschecked away from the play drawing a fine

Lindell in last years playoffs crosschecked away from the play drawing a suspension

Swartz of Boston crosscheck from behind two years ago drawing a fine.

Now Arvidsson- drawing four games.

I love the rough stuff in the game, give me a hard hitting two teams dont like each other game any day of the week but there is no place in the game for deliberately crosschecking someone in the back of the numbers resulting in injury.

Arvidsson is not quite a star but a damn fine player, a top line winger who is much more valuable to the Preds than Bortuzzo as a third pair defender is to the Blues, his being suspended four games and Arvidsson missing a month and a half is a great tradeoff for the Blues against a fierce division rival.

IMHO it is time to review suspension protocol. IMHO Bortuzzo should be suspended until Arvidsson returns-period.

As an aside, I already have a reminder set for February 15th which is the next time the two teams meet (they actually play a home and home the 15th and 16th).Hoping the game is chippy and a lot of fun to watch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Robert Bortuzzo a couple of nights ago in a game between his Blues and the rival Preds crosschecked the living hell out of semi star forward Viktor Arvidsson in the back into the crossbar drawing a two minute minor penalty to which he reacted as if he were shocked and appalled that such a love tap was worthy of anything at all. Arvidsson sustained a very serious LBI and will miss up to the next six weeks, Bortuzzo met with the department of player safety and received a 4 game suspension.

Look, I like hard play but Bortuzzo, this isn't his first suspension for lining a player up from behind ( he did the same to Brock Nelson of the Isles a few years ago) here is a partial list of his crosschecking from behind or away from the play which seems to be his MO.

Nelson simply destroyed by a crosscheck no suspension just fined

Malkin crosschecked away from the play drawing a fine

Lindell in last years playoffs crosschecked away from the play drawing a suspension

Swartz of Boston crosscheck from behind two years ago drawing a fine.

Now Arvidsson- drawing four games.

I love the rough stuff in the game, give me a hard hitting two teams dont like each other game any day of the week but there is no place in the game for deliberately crosschecking someone in the back of the numbers resulting in injury.

Arvidsson is not quite a star but a damn fine player, a top line winger who is much more valuable to the Preds than Bortuzzo as a third pair defender is to the Blues, his being suspended four games and Arvidsson missing a month and a half is a great tradeoff for the Blues against a fierce division rival.

IMHO it is time to review suspension protocol. IMHO Bortuzzo should be suspended until Arvidsson returns-period.

As an aside, I already have a reminder set for February 15th which is the next time the two teams meet (they actually play a home and home the 15th and 16th).Hoping the game is chippy and a lot of fun to watch.

Horrible play, would have maybe given him more than 4 games to make a point about that kind of premeditated violence on a vulnerable player (the 2nd crosscheck while he was down). I didn't think the first crosscheck was that bad (i.e. worthy of a 2 min penalty), and Arvidsson does embellish it in my opinion (which is why Bortuzzo cranked him while he was down)

• Like 1

Here is the video ... I agree @yave1964, I like hard hitting too, but this type of crap does not belong in today's game.  Arvissson is lucky he didn't sustain some type of head injury.  I had NO idea he went into the crossbar.   He could have been seriously injured.  4 games is too light IMO.  It was an extreme cheap shot!

the 2nd cross check is such a cheap shot!

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Having watched that again, I think the original crosscheck into the net was a bit worse than I thought. 

The 1st cross check, Bortuzzo  is lucky Arvidsson's head didn't smash into the cross bar .... extremely dangerous!