Erik Cernak: 2-Game Suspension

TropicalFruitGirl26

45855714_elbowcernak.jpg.9e152b9e80a8bc13548655e08f6a3035.jpg

From NHL dot com (Video of hit is in link...Buffalo feed):
https://www.nhl.com/news/erik-cernak-suspended-two-games-for-elbowing-rasmus-dahlin/c-311828126

Nasty hit to the head that ultimately benched Rasmus Dahlin with concussion symptoms by TB defenseman Erik Cernak, and puts the blueliner on the sidelines for two games with no pay.
Cernak, always a rugged, no nonsense player, didn't appear to specifically target the head of Dahlin (though he certainly looked like he intended to put the young Buffalo player down one way or another), however, the end result of him actually doing damage in that way is indisputable.

Accidental, on purpose, whatever the case, can't blame the league for sitting out Cernak...he IS responsible for his actions on the ice after all.
The Lightning defenseman isn't really known for these types of plays, at least not to my knowledge, and as a Bolts fan, I hope this isn't a trend for him.

But I also hope this doesn't take away from his aggressiveness as that is one of his values to the team: The opposition always knows when he is on the ice and to keep their heads up... as Rasmus Dahlin found out the hard way.

This was interesting from Tampa Bay dot com:
https://www.tampabay.com/sports/lightning/2019/11/27/lightnings-erik-cernak-texted-sabres-rasmus-dahlin-about-hit/

If that is accurate, then Cernak did show remorse for his actions and Dahlin seemed to take it in stride saying "that is just hockey".
I'd say that was pretty magnanimous of Dahlin seeing as how now his future is up in the air for the foreseeable.

Bolts this offseason specifically looked to up the physicality of the team, particularly on the blue line with the additions of Luke Schenn and Luke Witkowski, and up front with adding Patrick Maroon, but also expected guys like Braydon Coburn and Erik Cernak to continue that style of play as well.

Time will tell if this sort of play is really who Cernak, 22, is but indications from his reactions, reaching out to the guy he put out, and no apparent history of dirty play seem to be that this was just a play that he bumbled and just got wrong on how he made contact with an opposing player.
Cernak isn't a production defenseman, so the hard way he plays is his ticket to staying in the NHL.
Hope he smartens up on how to do that properly.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 8:04 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Accidental, on purpose, whatever the case, can't blame the league for sitting out Cernak...he IS responsible for his actions on the ice after all.
The Lightning defenseman isn't really known for these types of plays, at least not to my knowledge, and as a Bolts fan, I hope this isn't a trend for him.

Say, whatever happened to TFG???  \:(/     🙋‍♀️   @TropicalFruitGirl26

15 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Say, whatever happened to TFG???  \:(/     🙋‍♀️   @TropicalFruitGirl26

I am here, Words....I am here.
Just been busy this month sorting other areas in my life so my internet "play time" has been severely impacted.
You should see me around more often as I have gotten most of my stuff squared away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I am here, Words....I am here.
Just been busy this month sorting other areas in my life so my internet "play time" has been severely impacted.
You should see me around more often as I have gotten most of my stuff squared away.

Welcome back!!!  :hyper:

• Thanks 1