Is *THIS* Rock-Bottom?

SpikeDDS

Is this rock-bottom? I have a sneaking suspicion that it is not! I hope that I am wrong. But with Mantha out, our two goalies down or out, and playing in the offensive zone a distant memory, I wonder how much lower we can possibly go than the second period on Wednesday.

Jiminy Crickets this hockey is unwatchable!

Is this “rebuilding?” Or is this “wallowing?” Hard to tell the difference now. 

This is not puck luck. This is the left hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. This is hockey when the game is over after the first period, and you’ve got nothing left in the tank...and there are 40 minutes left to play!

Is this “Dead Things?” If this continues for an extended period of time, it could be similar.

Is it wrong that the draft is our best hope in November?

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1

I will admit, I am a bit surprised to see the Wings this low at this point in the season.
I knew they weren't anywhere near playoff ready, but I also didn't think they'd be lottery terrible, or at the very least, be competitive in just about every game they play.

Ottawa seems to be doing so far what I thought Detroit would be doing...I.E. still be near last, but having a fighting chance every game.

Then again, when you have an injury list that reads almost like an entire starting five and a goalie, well, this team simply doesn't have the depth yet to withstand that sort of MASH unit situation they find themselves in.

Good news here though is...
Still early, so time for guys to come back and start making a difference then.
Since the playoffs are out of the question, IMO, its not a matter of "get our guys back to make a postseason run", but rather, "get our guys back and restore some sort of winning culture here again!"

Also, the Wings' draft board DOES look pretty good with their first rounder likely being a high draft choice (again, in the lottery conversation) and having two 2nds and two 3rds.
And no, given the Wings' situation, it is NOT wrong to look at the draft as hope for the team.
That doesn't help the watchability of the games now, but it is all a fan can look forward to as things stand.

Final piece of good news...it is still Steve Freakin Yzerman running the show, and again, he took over a %$#@ show in TB and turned things around using the draft that Wings fans can look forward to.....and no doubt he can do it again with Detroit.

Not like the Wings are devoid of talent...they just need to have the right guys mixed in with each other and figure out who doesn't need to be on the team any longer.
Having a stud goalie, whomever that turns out to be down the road, would help things tremendously.
Maybe the Wings take a run at Jacob Markstrom from Vancouver who is still only 29, is a UFA, and having a good season....he could possibly help stabilize the nets next season while the Wings continue to look for their long term solution.

Never thought I'd be saying this to a Wings fan, but I DO feel for ya.....because as a fan, have been there done that with TB, and have a feeling will be seeing this sort of thing moving forward with Minnesota.
I remember seriously disliking the Wings when they were winning, but that was a product of fan jealousy because I would have given my left eye (not the right one...just the left.. lol) to have my Lightning play like they had for close to 20 years.

Hang in there @SpikeDDS….I know its little consolation now and it does deflate your enjoyment of watching games this season, but you shouldn't be in the basement for seasons on end like some other franchises have been or are going through.

Things may very well get worse, but you do have a guy in the front office who is a fixer of such things.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I listened to Detroit's commentator for the game against the Leafs and it sounded like he was ready to give up on life lol.  ;)

And you'd know the sound....you'd heard it from Leaf commentators for 5 decades!  giphy.gif

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

Is this rock-bottom? I have a sneaking suspicion that it is not! I hope that I am wrong. But with Mantha out, our two goalies down or out,

Two?  Come talk to us Flyer fans when you're on number 8! 

But ya...they're looking bad. Been there.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We suck. Yes- rock bottom, even worse than that game against Montreal last year ( @SpikeDDS knows of what I am speaking, lol). 

I like the addition of Comrie in net, kind of like the adds at forward the last few weeks of Perlini and Fabbri, a former high rounder who hasn't developed as was hoped in need of a change of scenery.

Anyway, the kids should stay in grand Rapids and not pick up any bad habits from this F-Troop masquerading as an NHL team. The year is over, lets add as many picks and prospects as we can and clear the mines.

Yep rock bottom but I am still satisfied that the future is bright.

14 hours ago, yave1964 said:

.Yep rock bottom but I am still satisfied that the distant future is bright.

Fixd it. 😉

I was thinking the exact same thing about that Montreal game. Yep, uglier than that, especially with the context—a string of consistent 4-goal losses. That makes it much worse. 

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Thanks TFG.

I had written a somewhat-lengthy response in kind, and I thought I sent it, but apparently the Lord saw fit to spare you from my diatribe. 😉

I knew it was gonna be a long basement run. I knew it was going to be bad. I just didn't think it could be THIS bad in the cap world. The teams are so much closer in talent level on average that it becomes really noticeable when one part of your game has so little talent (our D). Makes it stick out that much more, it seems, even though I wouldn't have thought that.

And let's face it, it's only been 3 seasons, but to be out 3 seasons and still be here is somewhat concerning and does make one wonder about how long we will be here. I think 3-5 seasons before we are in the playoff mix other than a possible fluke bubble season where we might squeak in because somebody else chokes.