Trade Deadline - Should the Flyers be buyers or sellers?

Guest Digityman

Trade Deadline - Should the Flyers be Buyers or Sellers   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline?

• Flyers should be BUYERS at the trade deadline
    • Flyers should be SELLERS at the trade deadline
    • Flyers should be open to BOTH at the trade deadline
  2. 2. I would do the following (Multiple Choice - Select all you agree with)

• I would trade Jagr at the deadline for the right return.
    • I would trade Briere at the deadline for the right return.
    • I would trade picks for Gleason at the deadline.
    • I would trade JVR+ for Suter at the deadline.
    • I would trade mid round picks for Suter's rights in the off-season
    • I would trade JVR+ for Weber at the deadline.
    • I would trade picks for Beauchemin at the deadline.
    • I would trade JVR for Luke Schenn at the deadline.
    • I would trade anyone other than Giroux for ANY #1 or #2 dman at the deadline.
    • I would do another trade that I'll explain below (reply to topic).

Oh, you think he is too tuckered out from raping Columbus for Voracek & Couturier?

that's not fair. Colombus knew they were getting Carter, they got a good piece. No one knew which Voracek was going to show up and in Columbus it was the wrong one. Voracek for Carter alone wasn't going get the deal done so they threw in a draft pick. Carter would demand a high draft pick. It isn't a forgone conclusion that everyone taken in the top 10 picks will pan out. It just so happened that the Flyers got lucky Couts slipped to 8th AND that he's performing at a high level. If Columbus knew they could draft Couts AND get his production, you think they still make the trade? Over the summer I thought the Flyers actually got hosed on that deal but was fine with dumping Carter. No way anyone could've predicted that it was going to be the Flyers doing the raping. I doubt even Homer got the pleasure out of that signing as he could've at the time.

Oh, you think he is too tuckered out from raping Columbus for Voracek & Couturier? He at least kissed LA before jamming it in and taking Fitzgerald and Schenn (who is finally coming around.)

Fitz is tearing up the league (Whoever he is)!!! The Wayne Train is doing pretty well too!

@Vincent05

Holmgren is about .500 in the (+/-R) stat. He did well with Foresberg.... that was him right ? Clarke was burnt out when that happened... not so well with Carcillo and Versteeg, the Pronger deal was not the best but he did well with Carter and Richards this year. So to categorize him as some dufous that is always getting pantsed by the other GMs in the league is not close to accurate.

It's not like he's Kevin McHale from the NBA or that poor schmuck in Memphis Chris Wallace, who are always getting bent over, and continue to field lousy teams inspite of always getting first crack at the best players.

@mojo1917

My point is Holmgren does well when trading his own players but when he trades for someone he tends to overpay but I guess every GM will when they really want someone. The Carcillo trade was very bad, if he wanted to dump Upshall for cap space, I would think other gms would gladly take him without us giving up a 2nd rd pick. I just hope this year if Homer does overpay for a dman that he is young or in his prime (Weber) not a 32+ year old dman that will only be here a few seasons.

Homer's record does indeed seem to veer between great and awful, with not a lot of room in between. You can't say that the guy is not decisive though. When he wants to make something happen it happens. This leads to overpaying I guess, but only in hindsight really. There are risks and unknowns in all of it.

Many fans of crappy teams would kill for a GM with Homer's decisiveness, balls and desire to win.

Homer would be a lot better of a gm if he had someone do contracts and learn a bit about the cba. He makes great picks with his first rounders. He's done an excellent job signing FAs and deserves a lot of credit there. Like you said, some of his trades are complete robbery, either one way or the other. But his contracts for the most part (other than Giroux ) are either ok or absolutely horrific.

I think we need a younger stud defenseman to replace Pronger. I don't see the Flyers making that move as it would likely cost several key players. What I think we have to do is get more physical on defense. I don't want some 35 year old guy due to his contract. I want a younger player who will grow with the nucleus of the team and be a factor for years. That's why if I make any trade that would be considered major, it would be a JVR for Schenn. Schenn would give us the physical presence on defense, give us 20 minutes a night, unite the Schenn brothers and be a guy to build the defense around as Pronger is done and Kimo is at the end of the road.

I'm one of the JVR for Luke Schenn votes because I'm ready to ship/shop JVR anywhere. Since I don't want to move more than 1 roster player and I don't see Weber happening for less than (at least) 2 plus picks plus a ton of cap room to sign him...

Suter might be had in a straight-up deal but JVR won't get it done. If it's "Move JVR for Schenn straight-up" or "Package JVR + + for Weber or Suter" I'll choose Option 1.

lol I don't see Homer doing the raping, I see him taking it up the a$$.

I know Jerry Sandusky and Paul Holmgren is no Jerry Sandusky.........

that aside, Homer will probably be standing pat unless he is able to get a real top dman for JVR + picks. NOT A RENTAL.

Thank You Jammer. Until yesterday I didnt even know about this group. "Leach27" and I post together over at Facebooks Flyers page.And he told me about and invited me here. Told me a lot of the Philly.com people moved here. So I signed up. A few things have Changed in my life. I no longer live in Exton PA. In September 2010 I moved to Winston-Salem North Carolina. Even though I am still an Avid Flyers fan I have had the oppertunity to attend quite a few games at the RBC Center in Raliegh NC So as a "second" team i Also Like the Hurricanes.

Edited by Digityman
Removed name