Minnesota Wild vs Dallas Stars, Sunday 12-1-2019, 2:00pm, Xcel Energy Center

MNSOTA

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Probably a good list of Lady Byng winners around there somewhere....

That might be a good bet. But if we include the filter with being a captain? I don't know but interesting.

I'm not Koivu hater per se, just irritated for the hype people build around him.

Just now, Hockey-78 said:

That might be a good bet. But if we include the filter with being a captain? I don't know but interesting.

I'm not Koivu hater per se, just irritated for the hype people build around him.

I've said for years, as a Koivu fan, that he never really was a number one center....2C at best, but to me, even in his prime, made an elite 3C.
That's not a bad thing.

But the Wild anointed him (and paid him) as a #1C, so his chances of living up to the hype was about nil.

Reminds me of that idiot former owner of the Lightning Bill Davidson I think it was, when he anointed Vincent LeCavalier the "Michael Jordan of hockey"....then the team went on to pay him some 10M per year as such.
LeCavalier was a good player for his career of course, but not even close to what he was hyped.

Still plenty of game left of course, but really, offensively, Dallas hasn't done anything to suggest they are particularly threatening.

Stalock isn't getting lit up like I thought he might.....and I am not seeing anything out there to this point that a goalie like Kaapo wouldn't have been able to handle.

14 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Can't say I remember him doing that either.
Would take some looking around to see.

I remember he used to be a pretty good hitter/checker. Not so much anymore of course.
He is more selective now, but his strength is still in his ability to gain possession on the face offs.
I'd also say he can still find guys on the ice, though they may not finish, but everything else points to where if Mikko retires next season, it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Since the Wild lack effective centers, I'm betting they give him a one year deal. Rask is more than likely going to be bought out, so that will leave them with Staal (providing he doesn't get traded), Donato, and Eriksson-Ek. And Donato is not a good center. There is Sturm in Iowa, but he's not projected as more than a 3C-4C

Not a fan of Kevin Fiala, but I will give him props on that score...
Not only does he get the goal, but he made that whole thing happen by pressuring the Dallas player who had possession of the puck after Seguin beat Koivu on the face off.

Kept the play in the zone, made a pass and the Dallas defense was caught off guard just long enough for Fiala to get back to the front of the net.

Good one, Kevin...good one!
1-0 Wild

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

On the flipside, Donato NOT having a good game with regard to staying out of the penalty box.... 

Probably because he is playing out of position. Just because he can play center doesn't mean he should play center...

4 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

This is like a contest whose chit smells the worst.

You know after I get a couple of burritos and... um, never mind.

At least Dallas gets out of Pavelski's contract after three seasons...the Wild will still have two more seasons to go...

Edited by IllaZilla

2 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

At least Dallas gets out of Pavelski's contract after three seasons...the Wild will still have two more seasons to go...

Zucc has been much better in this game, has more speed and is three years younger... like I said, IMO it's a matter of (bad) taste. Wouldn't want either of them in my team.