Game 28: Leafs at Flyers; 12/3/19 @ 7 PM

Howie58

This was an interesting game to watch.  Hart held the fort until the reinforcements came.  The Leafs must have been deflated after the second goal.  On the other hand, no let up on the Flyers' part. They wanted to take care of business.  

6 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What kind of abortion was that at the finish?  :dizzysmiley-1:  The Leafs had so many chances to bury the Flyers in the first period and it was a close game right up until the end. 

Flyers set an NHL record for most goals scored AFTER an empty net goal.  

(Or so I'm guessing.)

The game was evenly played. The goalies weren't. 

• Like 1

This is what I want to see more of from this team.

SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK!

It's a mentality they have to have.

Be that guy who wants to win the damn game.

Or the years it's apparent they don't have any selfish guys (ok maybe Jake and JVR for different reasons) but you have to want to win the game and nothing says that more than shooting the puck and getting your bet shot on net. Make the goalie work for it.

I can get use to this winning thing.

Good to have goaltending too.

16 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I don't miss the trap, but I do miss the hitting.  Don Cherry was right when he said that the league was going to legislate hitting out of the game. I thought he was nuts and just being a neanderthal about the league clamping down on fighting, but he was right: hitting is all but gone from the league now.  It's a completely different game than it was just 20 years ago.

The league will tell you the players are faster and more exciting, but they're basically "soccer" players now. It's a no-touch game. Anyone can skate fast if there are no repercussions to doing so. Nobody checking you and nobody hitting you. I'm surprised the league hasn't passed a rule that the defencemen must spread apart and allow forwards a clean breakaway to the net lol.  ;) 

When I remember those playoff games from the early 2000's, I remember a tough, physical game where you still had the skill, but you also had the big hits and the intensity. I just don't see that any more. The players today are soft. 

Yeah, I don't think the lack of hitting you're talking about has anything to do with the league legislating anything.  I think that particular brand of hitting disappearing is by and large a coaching decision.  It's not illegal.  Players don't get penalized for THAT kind of hitting.  It still happens occasionally and everyone's shocked because they haven't seen it as much, but it doesn't typically get penalized (thinking of the hit that concussed Patrick as a rookie for instance).

The difference is that coaches seem to be preferring that players make a play and get back into position to shut down a lane rather than get themselves embroiled in a physical quagmire.

As far as the defencemen being spread apart, it's not legislated by the league to allow forwards a clean breakaway or because they're not allowed to hit, it's also a positioning thing. Maybe you're seeing more breakaways as a leafs watcher, but I'm not personally seeing so many, and it's mostly due to positioning.

The assessment that it's becoming more like soccer isn't inappropriate as far as I see it.  A lot of what makes a player valuable in this league right now isn't actually making the big play, it's the stuff he's doing away from the puck that makes it so the other team can't make a big play.  I enjoy watching that.  I enjoy seeing an offense actually able to try to make a play and struggling to figure out how using skill and finesse.  I find that much more satisfying than watching an offense utterly physically unable to make a play because they've got defenders hanging on them like wet monkeys.  

It's a taste thing I guess.  I'd love to see the large ice surface open things up more.  I'm sad to admit that I sometimes enjoy watching overtimes because they're so wide open, but that tells me the thing I actually enjoy is the open ice and more room for creativity.

I don't mind if the games don't get more physical until the playoffs myself.  I just hope that means the refs can still identify the actual penalties (i.e. the ridiculous play Malkin made on Couturier two years ago that pretty much ended the series but resulted in no call).

I also still see plenty of hitting and I don't see guys as being "soft".  Guys always whined and complained (I feel like I typically see less of that now actually).  I just think the hits are not as big and don't take as much time because both players want to stay on the ice and get themselves back into the play because they know their system is falling apart without them.  

I fully understand that's me though.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Its the same in the schools, the kids run the classroom  not the teacher. Its all  part of the leftist conspiracy,  the attack on masculine men, the pussification of todays generation. Its spilled over into sports with participation trophies and not listening to the coach. You have young men hanging out in coffee shops drinking soy lattes and being sensitive. We were out drinking beer and punishing ass in my day.

And yet NHL revenue is higher now than it ever was and teams make more money then they ever have.   Not only that but while 3 of the other big 5 sports league in the USA have attendance dropping, the NHL remains flat which is actually a good thing.   (Source)    My point is, while you might not like it, it seems like the majority do like the direction the game is heading.  

I understand what you are saying about the "pussification of today's generation".  In certain ways, I agree with you but when you say the stuff like 'back in my day...'  and "out drinking beers and punishing ass", that's where you lose me.   Times change.   Society changes.  Ebbs and flows.  The "greatest generation" is all but gone but the generation before them used to call them all wimps.  Baby Boomers and Silent Generation were crybabies.   My point being, it's cyclical and never going to change.  The older generation doesn't like the younger and so on.   Actually, in my opinion, it all comes back to parenting but we could argue about this forever.

In the end, change is a pendulum and I think you are right that we've swung to far in the "pussification" direction.   And as more people realize it, it will swing back again.   The same thing will happen with the NHL (re: hitting, fights...) but only if the majority wants that to happen and they'll vote with the dollars.   

Edited by Digityman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is what I want to see more of from this team.

SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK!

It's a mentality they have to have.

Be that guy who wants to win the damn game.

Or the years it's apparent they don't have any selfish guys (ok maybe Jake and JVR for different reasons) but you have to want to win the game and nothing says that more than shooting the puck and getting your bet shot on net. Make the goalie work for it.

I can get use to this winning thing.

Good to have goaltending too.

I think this is a good example of what I want to see more of from this team, but it's not a "shoot the puck" thing for me. 

Myers knows TK has speed and he takes full advantage, giving him a perfect saucer hail mary.  TK has G on a 2-1 with Reilly back, but he doesn't shoot the puck because he's hungry or he wants to make the goalie work for it, he sees that the trailing D-man has gotten his butt back into the play despite TK's speed and he anticipates that by the time a pass (if he can get it through Reilly) gets to Giroux, the trailer may have closed that gap and will be able to stifle or at least hinder G's shot.  That passing lane is now essentially shut down by two D-men.  What TK also sees is that Reilly doesn't quite see this yet and is only just starting to figure it out.

TK commits to the shot just as Reilly realizes he doesn't need to shut down the passing lane and commits to wrapping up TK.  It's too late though, the shot's already off and in the net.  

It's awareness, analysis and seeing a split second of indecision on Reilly's part and taking advantage.  And it's fantastic hockey sense and brilliant to watch in slow motion.

• Like 1

when I lived in LA i once saw Ron Jeremy standing by his broken down car on the side of the road. i even turned around and drove past him again to make sure it was him, but i didn't stop because i didn't want him punishing my ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Digityman said:

And yet NHL revenue is higher now than it ever was and teams make more money then they ever have.   Not only that but while 3 of the other big 5 sports league in the USA have attendance dropping, the NHL remains flat which is actually a good thing.   (Source)    My point is, while you might not like it, it seems like the majority do like the direction the game is heading.  

I understand what you are saying about the "pussification of today's generation".  In certain ways, I agree with you but when you say the stuff like 'back in my day...'  and "out drinking beers and punishing ass", that's where you lose me.   Times change.   Society changes.  Ebbs and flows.  The "greatest generation" is all but gone but the generation before them used to call them all wimps.  Baby Boomers and Silent Generation were crybabies.   My point being, it's cyclical and never going to change.  The older generation doesn't like the younger and so on.   Actually, in my opinion, it all comes back to parenting but we could argue about this forever.

In the end, change is a pendulum and I think you are right that we've swung to far in the "pussification" direction.   And as more people realize it, it will swing back again.   The same thing will happen with the NHL (re: hitting, fights...) but only if the majority wants that to happen and they'll vote with the dollars.   

I’m not saying I want goon hockey back, I just wouldn’t mind some  good clean hits and what I really miss is the feeling of wanting to jump through the TV set and kill guys like Avery and Domi, Dale Hunter, Claude Lemeix. There are not enough agitators left in the league,  I liked it better when the fans and players hated the other team. It was fun to yell at the TV.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

when I lived in LA i once saw Ron Jeremy standing by his broken down car on the side of the road. i even turned around and drove past him again to make sure it was him, but i didn't stop because i didn't want him punishing my ass.

Is he "the" Ron Jeremy?  (I didn't want to ask him in case it annoyed him or anything.)  

The only celebrity I've ever met or talked to was David Hasselhoff at the grand opening of Toys R Us when I was like 6 years old and he was there signing autographs.   :) 

15 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Agreed. When I had to listen to an NHL analyst during the intermission talk about "creating a safe work environment" for players (by not having coaches yell at them) I knew the league had gone full on puss mode lol. I mean, can you imagine a coach not being able to yell at the players because it might hurt their feelings?  OMG.  😔

When you have a Chris Chelios - no retiring, wilting, wallflower he - talking about Babcock and Franzen like he has recently, I can see where there are lines that need to be established.

This also simply not 20 years ago. The players are different. The atmosphere they developed in is different. The compensation is different.

The latter may have a pretty significant role as multi-millionaires are not as likely to do something that could affect their ability to make millions of dollars... And I don't think ending guaranteed contracts "fixes" that situation as much as exacerbates it...

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The #Flyers won their 16th game on Dec. 3 in Game 28.

Last season, they won their 16th game on Jan. 10 in Game 44.

Flyers are playing extremely well at the moment, which is refreshing.

That said, I'm still in wait and see mode, as I saw the Flyers win 10 in a row and lose 10 in a row in the same season and miss the playoffs. Likewise, Buffalo won 10 in a row early last year and faded badly.

Lots of hockey to play. Let's keep them playing it.

If the playoffs started today, we'd all be very surprised.

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

When you have a Chris Chelios - no retiring, wilting, wallflower he - talking about Babcock and Franzen like he has recently, I can see where there are lines that need to be established.

This also simply not 20 years ago. The players are different. The atmosphere they developed in is different. The compensation is different.

The latter may have a pretty significant role as multi-millionaires are not as likely to do something that could affect their ability to make millions of dollars... And I don't think ending guaranteed contracts "fixes" that situation as much as exacerbates it...

My issue with Babcock is that he put Marner (a rookie at the time, but it doesn't matter) in a no-win situation. He basically created an environment where one player was being asked to turn on his own teammates like a rat.  So, in this instance, I agree 100% that Babcock was in the wrong. That's just terrible coaching. Playing mind games and trying to screw over your own players (the Mike Modano 1499 games played thing being another example) is something that should get him exiled from the league. 

However, what I'm talking about is just basic yelling at the players. ie: "Move your ass", "That was f'n terrible", etc.....   That needs to be okay given the nature of sports in my opinion.  :) 

47 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Except the larger ice, paradoxically, makes the soccerization worse 

I don't think that will be true  of hockey.  It doesn't seem to be true in international and olympic play and the Flyers got clocked by the open ice in Switzterland.  

The pitch is obviously much larger than the ice surface, but there are literally twice as many players taking up space in soccer.  The larger difference to me though is the speed of hockey and the speed of the puck.  Even when a skater is resting, he's still moving. 

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

However, what I'm talking about is just basic yelling at the players. ie: "Move your ass", "That was f'n terrible", etc.....   That needs to be okay given the nature of sports in my opinion.  :) 

No, absolutely. All I'm saying is that there is a line. I'm not sure where that line is and don't feel particularly qualified to draw it.

That said, I'm fairly comfortable with "if Chris Chelios thinks it's over the line" being a good place to start.

• Like 1