Game 28: Leafs at Flyers; 12/3/19 @ 7 PM

Howie58

25 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Maybe take him off, move Giroux up from the point, and stick Myers or Sanheim at the point and see what happens for a bit. 

i would love to see Myers on the 2nd PP unit. He has a fantastic shot and seems to have a knack for getting it through.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm more in you camp on this one.  He doesn't bother me 5v5 the way Jake does.

I mean they're both career minus players having plus seasons so far and their play driving numbers are also up from last year (though historically they both tend to have positives there) I think it seems to be working... though it would be nice if it looked like something we could trust more while they're out there.  

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I mean, AV was calling him out, too.   I don't know that anything has appreciably changed with JVR since then, but we're winning so...

Like I said, 3 points in 4 games since being demoted... it's something.  it's not like, "HEY! That's really SOMETHING!" because of the nature of them, but still... it is something.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

I will take a guy who scores 15 EVG and ends a year as a plus player any day over a guy who scores 40 EVG and ends the year as a minus player. And I will do so because I prefer winning hockey games.  

The situation you outline is not the one in which he played.

19 of his 27 last year were on the power play. that means he "gave up" 18 at even strength to come in at -10.

Does 27 goals for outweigh 18 goals against? If you're scoring every third game and "giving up" a goal against at even strength every 4, that seems like a positive outcome from where I sit.

33 minutes ago, radoran said:

The situation you outline is not the one in which he played.

19 of his 27 last year were on the power play. that means he "gave up" 18 at even strength to come in at -10.

Does 27 goals for outweigh 18 goals against? If you're scoring every third game and "giving up" a goal against at even strength every 4, that seems like a positive outcome from where I sit.

The situation I outlined was entirely hypothetical as far as the numbers go and they were simplified to exclude PPG because he isn't scoring any.  I was essentially saying that if you take away his PPG, I'd rather gave a net positive even strength guy and that we're not getting the same -10 even strength guy we got last year, we're getting a much much better player.    

But since you brought them up, Essentially what I'm saying is that if JVR was scoring PPG at the pace he was last year, he'd have 13 goals by now for a net positive of like 24 or something and we'd be having an entirely different conversation.    

Long and short AV and company are doing a bang up job, but I sincerely hope fixing the PP is in order soon.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I was essentially saying that if you take away his PPG, I'd rather gave a net positive even strength guy and that we're not getting the same -10 even strength guy we got last year, we're getting a much much better player.    

I see where you are coming from here and it clears things up for me.

That said, I'd rather have the guy potting the 20 or so PPG than a guy who's good along the boards if we're talking about a $7M cap hit... Not so much for rightnow, but for the "signing the younger players" in upcoming years as you references whether earlier or in another thread.

• Good Post 1

34 minutes ago, radoran said:

I see where you are coming from here and it clears things up for me.

That said, I'd rather have the guy potting the 20 or so PPG than a guy who's good along the boards if we're talking about a $7M cap hit... Not so much for rightnow, but for the "signing the younger players" in upcoming years as you references whether earlier or in another thread.

Absolutely.  I'd love to get him going on the PP now, finish strong, see how far we can get with him and make him much more appealing on the trading block in the off season.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Exactly! 

JVR might be doing a good job in his current role, but that role can be filled just as well by a player who doesn't command the price

You would think so and so would I, but that has not yet been the case from within the organization this year.  They've tried.  

Like I say, this is why I'd love to get him cooking on the PP at least the way he used to.  Then we're getting even more than we bargained for.

I can't help but wonder how much Hextall was pressured into signing him to begin with.  It just doesn't mesh with everything else he seemed to be pushing for.  Not when waiting a year could have netted you Stone or Panarin.  Guess we'll never know.

52 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'd love to get him going on the PP

Agreed. The best spot for him is to get his large ass in front of the goalie and get some deflections, rebounds, garbage goals etc. 

In fact, I think it is so important to get him going that they should practice it for at least 30 min everyday, with Provo and Ghost blasting pucks while JVR tries to deflect. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:   To make it realistic, make sure some of those shots are around his ears.  It's the only way.

EDIT: does the ninja help people get that this was a joke?

Edited by Podein25

47 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I can't help but wonder how much Hextall was pressured into signing him to begin with.  It just doesn't mesh with everything else he seemed to be pushing for.  Not when waiting a year could have netted you Stone or Panarin.  Guess we'll never know.

We won't know...but Hextall loves his 200 foot players...and JVR is a 20 foot player.

Kind of the anti-Vader plasma. (only old school Philly.comers will get that)

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

We won't know...but Hextall loves his 200 foot players...and JVR is a 20 foot player.

Kind of the anti-Vader plasma. (only old school Philly.comers will get that)

I was on the old Philly.com board, I remember Vader, but I still have no memory of plasma though.

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I was on the old Philly.com board, I remember Vader, but I still have no memory of plasma though.

Vader was always bragging about his and Forbsys escapades. One time he was talking about watching the game on his new 42' plasma. He wasn't the brightest guy and didn't realize this " is inches and this' is feet. 

So I mocked him about it every chance I got.

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I honestly thought they could bring JVR in and have equal, if not better, success than they were getting with Simmonds. I just seemed like they wanted to start there

Simmonds had good hands close to the net.

JVR has good hands close to the net.

Simmonds plays physical, does dirty work and wreaks havoc in front of the net. 

Simmonds stands up for his teammates.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Simmonds had good hands close to the net.

Simmonds plays physical, does dirty work and wreaks havoc in front of the net. 

Simmonds stands up for his teammates.

Lol. And that mole.

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Vader was always bragging about his and Forbsys escapades. One time he was talking about watching the game on his new 42' plasma. He wasn't the brightest guy and didn't realize this " is inches and this' is feet. 

So I mocked him about it every chance I got.

He wasn't in a band by any chance was he?

• Haha 1

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I figured you'd already covered the mole. But it's certainly not something to leave out. He definitely has that on Simmonds.

Lol. The way I look at it, that mole has only 6 fewer goals than the body it's attached to. And likely comes cheaper. 

• Like 1