Wild vs. Panthers 12/3/19 @ 6:00PM CST at BB&T Center

CreaseAndAssist

Wild Resilient in 4-2 Win Over Florida

I don't think I was ever doubting the effort in this one, even at the start when Florida just was a step or two faster.  But Minnesota adjusted and then just dug in.  It wasn't always pretty but then they really locked things down towards the end.  Some physical play, and some great puck pressure allowed them to hold on without too much drama down the stretch.  How about Kahkonen going for a goal?!?  Like the confidence.  I have a full game recap an extended Iowa Wild report and prospect updates too!  Also, can we keep Lou Nanne as the analyst?  Enjoy...

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

I didn't get to see the whole game, but from what I saw a good win.

I didn't get to see the whole game of Nashville vs Tampa, but there was quite a difference in play and skill.

Hopefully  I will see the day when the wild have that type of play.

The Panthers outplayed the Wild but the Wild outscored them.

So the 10-game point streak is tied for second-longest in Wild history.

So was CL they right - this team was only a tweak away from being a contender? And I and a few other posters wrong, they don't need a rebuild?

Was that tweak getting rid of Granny, Coyle and Nino?

Or was that tweak getting Zuccarello and Hartman?

Or... was it replacing Dubnyk with quality netminding? Kahkonen. His 44 saves set a team record for a rookie goalie. A couple more of performances like this and the Wild can officially start shopping Dubnyk. But they better wait for his wife to recover and family can get the pieces back together.

But hey @ClusterChuck, you're only a win away from getting your prediction come true?! :cheer:

Just watched the extended highlights. Did announcers address the crowd size? Sea of red seats at opening face off (nice move by BB starting Ek's line) but appeared fans either arrived late or moved down to vacant seats. Still looked less than half a house. How can a team make payroll like that? Waiting for the Seattle ransom I suppose.

Edited by Icechipper

I think the 10 game point streak is about veteran players knowing what needs to be done to win and they want to prove everyone wrong. All their experience won't change the laws of physics, though. The lack of speed is a serious detriment I  today's NHL and I dont expect them to make it into the playoffs. But I hope they keep proving what a jackass I am!

5 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

I think the 10 game point streak is about veteran players knowing what needs to be done to win and they want to prove everyone wrong. All their experience won't change the laws of physics, though. The lack of speed is a serious detriment I  today's NHL and I dont expect them to make it into the playoffs. But I hope they keep proving what a jackass I am!

I don't think its just the vets, or just the kids.  The truth is this team is playing like a team.  As Spurgeon and Koivu went down throughout, the team was forced to mix pairings and lines there did not seem to be much of a let down.  Everyone stepped up and to me you could see that unselfishness on the game winning goal.  Rask helps win a battle for the puck along the wall, Parise picks it up and then finds Carson Soucy moving into the slot for the game winner.  I am not sure it would've happened in previous seasons but right now, they're all playing together with no real apparent egos and the results are speaking for themselves.  

• Like 3

Honestly, why can't they play like this every game. Like @CreaseAndAssist said, they played like/as a team instead of a few individuals. And let's not fool ourselves, goaltending like that will boost any team. I pray this is what Kahkonen will be as this will fill a big gap the Wild have been needing to fix. I hope whatever Devans wife is going through ends up positive but Dubnyk needs to be the third guy now. Stalock is clearly better then Dubnyk and Kahkonen is showing he is probably better then Stalock. If the team is serious about winning then you play your best pieces no matter what. Doesn't matter if those pieces getting bumped off were once a major piece for you. You play your best pieces.

It would be awesome to see more games like this. It's fun and exciting to watch. Even better is that it feels "fresh". This is a team I can stand behind and not be upset if they lose as long as they play hard and play as a team.

11 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Just watched the extended highlights. Did announcers address the crowd size? Sea of red seats at opening face off (nice move by BB starting Ek's line) but appeared fans either arrived late or moved down to vacant seats. Still looked less than half a house. How can a team make payroll like that? Waiting for the Seattle ransom I suppose.

As far as the crowd size, I'm not aware of them commenting on it. Nanne stuck to hockey stuff, which was refreshing for a change.

Attendance was 10,167 in an arena that can hold 20,000 and change. So yeah, half full. Not sure if that's tickets sold or carbon based life-forms that actually passed through the turnstiles. But either way, I agree. How can that franchise keep going with those numbers? Well, the easy answer is because Gary says so...

And they are third to last in average attendance this season so far (13,392). Maybe things pick up when the Snowbirds arrive...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

As far as the crowd size, I'm not aware of them commenting on it. Nanne stuck to hockey stuff, which was refreshing for a change.

Attendance was 10,167 in an arena that can hold 20,000 and change. So yeah, half full. Not sure if that's tickets sold or carbon based life-forms that actually passed through the turnstiles. But either way, I agree. How can that franchise keep going with those numbers? Well, the easy answer is because Gary says so...

And they are third to last in average attendance this season so far (13,392). Maybe things pick up when the Snowbirds arrive...

I doubt it.  I've watched LOTS of Panthers games over the years and that's pretty much what it looks like most of the time.  Maybe they'll get some more butts in the seats when they play Tampa or some of the opposing fans swarm to a warm-weather game but beyond that BB&T Center is what you saw last night.  Lots and lots of empty seats.  

Not sure why the league or anyone really would want to keep it going.  The only group that probably really appreciates it is the players who like the low Florida taxes and their bankruptcy laws in case they get carried away.  

But as far as Lou Nanne went, he was a revelation compared to Greenlay, Walz, or Carter.  Sure, the bar is pretty low but Nanne sounded sharp and was a natural in that role.  

• Like 1