John Hynes fired as Head Coach, Alain Nassredine to serve as Interim Bench boss...

CreaseAndAssist

@CreaseAndAssist

Wow.   Like you said, it's probably time, but wow.

I'm not sure it's entirely him, but maybe it wakes some people up.     The goalie situation there doesn't help any coach, really, but the problems seem more extensive than that (backing up a 2nd year goalie with Dominique isn't exactly the recipe for success).  

Yeah, "it's probably time" sums it up nicely.    And completely agree about Hall.

I think most fans could have seen this coming as the season continued on for these guys.
Truly disappointing season for the Devils.

From Ray Shero smiling like the Cheshire Cat because he knew he was getting Jack Hughes (seriously...like BEFORE it was announced what exact place NJ had in the lottery!) to now having to fire his head coach..... to a possible exodus of veteran talent either via trade or as UFA's at season's end.

Before the season started, talk was about trying to convince Taylor Hall to stay on (he will be a UFA) with the direction the team looked to take...…. well, the team certainly took a direction.....though not the one intended.

I think most people also thought that goaltending and defense might be a problem and in that regard, NJ did exactly what was expected.
Schneider finally falling completely off the competitive cliff, MacKenzie Blackwood, at 22 yrs old, expected to carry the load of a poor offense and a shoddy defense in front of him? I don't think so.
Even with Blackwood playing great, not so sure he could have done much with what was on the ice with him.

And the team then 'wasted' a 7th rounder by trading for Louie Domingue who was downright AWFUL in that game against the Sabres.

And John Hynes gets the axe for deficiencies and lack of execution? Probably more like 'losing the room'.
I suppose the Devils may feel there is still enough season left for someone different to spark the team as bench boss.
Maybe.
But somehow, this whole thing just feels like it really isn't rock bottom and could get even worse.

Two years ago under Hynes they over performed and snuck into the playoffs, last year they slipped back so Ray Shero went out and made some moves.

They lucked into Jack Hughes

They traded for PK Subban

They signed Simmonds

They traded for Gusev

It hasn't been any one of the moves that didn't work out, it is all of them. Hughes will be a star potentially some day but this year he is raw and not doing well. Subban arguably the most overrated player in the game has been awful. Simmonds continues to erode and Gusev has been a healthy scratch a few times. 

And lets not even talk about the goaltending. Yuck.

With all that, Hynes did what he could, he is a decent coach, I think he will land on his feet someday in the NHL again and I wouldnt be surprised if he does a fine job the second time out.

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Two years ago under Hynes they over performed and snuck into the playoffs, last year they slipped back so Ray Shero went out and made some moves.

They lucked into Jack Hughes

They traded for PK Subban

They signed Simmonds

They traded for Gusev

It hasn't been any one of the moves that didn't work out, it is all of them. Hughes will be a star potentially some day but this year he is raw and not doing well. Subban arguably the most overrated player in the game has been awful. Simmonds continues to erode and Gusev has been a healthy scratch a few times. 

And lets not even talk about the goaltending. Yuck.

With all that, Hynes did what he could, he is a decent coach, I think he will land on his feet someday in the NHL again and I wouldnt be surprised if he does a fine job the second time out.

You can never have to many good coaches in youth hockey

• Haha 1

As is the case with any coach in any professional sports league...you're hired to be fired.  Hynes had 5 years...tough to say he wasn't given a fair chance.  But the goaltending situation there is atrocious and David Poile looks like he dealt P.K. Subban at the right time.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

As is the case with any coach in any professional sports league...you're hired to be fired.  Hynes had 5 years...tough to say he wasn't given a fair chance.  But the goaltending situation there is atrocious and David Poile looks like he dealt P.K. Subban at the right time.  

Yeah. Apart from everything else, goalies can win a Jack Adams for you and they can get you fired, too.

• Like 2