Game 29: Coyotes at Flyers; 12/5/19 at 7 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

We are a fairly heavy favorite, despite similar play over the last 10 games:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/arizona-philadelphia-odds-december-5-2019-1161386

Historically, we've played well against this franchise, particularly at home.  They are 2nd in the Pacific--not to be taken lightly.

http://mcubed.net/nhl/phi/ari.shtml

Edited by Howie58

If Misha Vorobyev has any grey matter at all in his cranium he will take full advantage of this call up/injury to Raffl and run with it.

If he has any intentions of playing Philly this i think will be his last chance...he doesn't and you could see hi someone else next year.

Space in the lineup is scarce and it will be scarce on the Phantoms next year too with a new crop of kids coming in.

He could be a trade chip for Chuckles if he doesn't take advantage of this chance.

I myself think this would have been a great opportunity for NAK but i think he has fallen from the graces of this coaching staff and maybe rightfully so.

I haven't seen any mention much of him anywhere so NAK may as well find himself play elsewhere soon. Not sure what has happened to him i thought he would get his shot this year but he hasn't. Time is running out on him if it isn't already too late.

No worries i want to see the Flyers keep stacking wins punishing ass!!!!! Fly or die!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 48 Morgan Frost - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 49 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk - [24 Mikhail Vorobyev] -18 Tyler Pitlick

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere- 5 Phil Myers
[8 Robert Hägg]

37 Brian Elliott
[79 Carter Hart]

Power Play 1: Giroux, JVR, Frost, Konecny, Provorov
Power Play 2: Couturier, Lindblom, Voracek, Sanheim, Niskanen

Scratches: one of 24 Mikhail Vorobyev or 8 Robert Hägg (healthy), 44 Chris Stewart (healthy), 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL)
LTIR: 12 Michael Raffl (broken right pinkie finger), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines)

COYOTES

18 Christian Dvorak - 8 Nick Schmaltz - 83 Conor Garland
29 Barrett Hayton - 34 Carl Söderberg - 81 Phil Kessel
9 Clayton Keller - 21 Derek Stepan - 13 Vinnie Hinostroza
40 Michael Grabner - 15 Brad Richardson - 36 Christian Fischer

6 Jakob Chychrun - 33 Alex Goligoski
23 Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 55 Jason Demers
46 Ilya Lyubushkin - 82 Jordan Oesterle

35 Darcy Kuemper
[32 Antti Raanta]

Power Play 1: Keller, Stepan, Dvorak, Kessel, Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Power Play 2: Schmaltz, Söderberg, Garland, Chychrun, Goligoski

Scratches: 26 Michael Chaput (healthy), 67 Lawson Crouse (healthy), 42 Aaron Ness (healthy)
Injured reserve: 4 Niklas Hjalmarsson (cracked fibula)

On 12/4/2019 at 12:38 PM, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

We are a fairly heavy favorite, despite similar play over the last 10 games:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/arizona-philadelphia-odds-december-5-2019-1161386

Historically, we've played well against this franchise, particularly at home.  They are 2nd in the Pacific--not to be taken lightly.

http://mcubed.net/nhl/phi/ari.shtml

Tocchet's got this team playing well.  This is a challenge game.  

• Like 2

Seems like a perfect opportunity, if they go with the 7D lineup to sprinkle in Ghost (or Myers for that matter) at forward for a shift or two. I'm surprised coaches don't try that kind of thing a bit more, by which I mean ever. You never know where you might find some magic on the ice. 

• Good Post 1

I remember last year or it was the year before the Flyers were on their longest winning streak of the year (just like they are this year) and the Yotes come in haven't not won a game in 10 straight and guess who won...

...please guys DON'T be that club again...to this team...show me you have truly changed...

Well, the Yotes were a shade hungrier and their goalie was a shade better than ours.  There was no lack of effort, but this Phoenix team plays tough, team D.  Our captain didn't help with some untimely penalties.  

• Like 1

"We get a 10 for effort tonight but a 7 for execution," Flyers head coach Alain Vigneault said.

"When you look at all the numbers after tonight, we’ll be double in possession double and double the shots and everything. But we couldn't find a way to beat their goaltender. So, I like the way we worked. But execution wise with the puck, we're a little off and a lot of people will say they defended well. We had the puck all night. So that's what happened."

This team although still young with it's depth could still use a sniper....or two...i think Farabee will develop into one but that is about all i see in these ranks.

Otherwise chock full of passers and guys looking to set up guys....well someone has to put the biscuit in the basket.

Another reason they struggle in the shootout.

Ok i will concede Konecny as a almost sniper but just can't say for sure just yet....and he to only has one career shootout goal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This team although still young with it's depth could still use a sniper....or two...i think Farabee will develop into one but that is about all i see in these ranks.

Having another wouldn't hurt.  Honestly see Frost also.   If JVR could just the broad side of a barn it would help but yes, one more goal scorer would be nice.  

41 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Having another wouldn't hurt.  Honestly see Frost also.   If JVR could just the broad side of a barn it would help but yes, one more goal scorer would be nice.  

I see Frost more as a Giroux type...set up guy.

But I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

And JVR man what a waste of a jersey.

If the guy was scoring it would his floating a lot more tolerable.

But the floating he does he just needs to be flushed.

Jake is frustrating as hell but I think I would be happy if they could just move JVR then the Flyers could live with just one floater in Jake.

It is why I was ready to move Simmer once he lost his scoring touch him JVR and Jake was just too many guys who just didn't like to help out in their own end.

It's where I am with JVR if ya can't score you're of no use to me or your team.

Buh bye.

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Well, the Yotes were a shade hungrier and their goalie was a shade better than ours.  There was no lack of effort, but this Phoenix team plays tough, team D.  Our captain didn't help with some untimely penalties.  

Sorry to disagree Howie, but  at no point in that game did I think,  'Wow the Coyotes are really buzzing', they weren't "hungrier', unless you're talkng about Phil Kessel thinking about burritos.

That game was won by Darcy Keumper, win by the goalie, die by the goalie- we've had our share of nights where Moose or Hartsy were our best players too. 

As a general note, I don't think I would enjoy watching my team play the Coyotes 4 times a year, they interfere, they grab jerseys, hold sticks, drop theirs the moment you look at their hands and god did they dive...good grief I thought Ekmann-Lassron was going to the hospital the way he sold the cross check from Hayes- OEL showed real courage just skating the the bench after that vicious play :ph34r:

They play a ****** brand of hockey, like the 90's Devils with a better color scheme. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Sorry to disagree Howie, but  at no point in that game did I think,  'Wow the Coyotes are really buzzing', they weren't "hungrier', unless you're talkng about Phil Kessel thinking about burritos.

That game was won by Darcy Keumper, win by the goalie, die by the goalie- we've had our share of nights where Moose or Hartsy were our best players too. 

As a general note, I don't think I would enjoy watching my team play the Coyotes 4 times a year, they interfere, they grab jerseys, hold sticks, drop theirs the moment you look at their hands and god did they dive...good grief I thought Ekmann-Lassron was going to the hospital the way he sold the cross check from Hayes- OEL showed real courage just skating the the bench after that vicious play :ph34r:

They play a ****** brand of hockey, like the 90's Devils with a better color scheme. 

They're not going to win or even get points in all their games and I'm okay with that.  

They had one break down on a penalty kill.  It was uncharacteristic of the PK so far this year and they're not NEVER going to get scored on.

Keumper had an insane game.

They had a chance at tying it until Hayes took a bad penalty at the end of the game to kill their push.

Long story short, when they do have to lose a game in regulation, I'm content if it's a game like this.  

I agree with all you day above with the following caveats:

-The Flyers Power Play has GOT to get better.  They're not at the bottom of the league in Expected Goals.  

-(related) Their shooting % has to pick up if they're going to be "good".  

Frost had a tough one and missed some open nets and that sucks for him, but he's a rookie so we don't come down too hard... BUT he wasn't the only one.  These guys have got to start finding the target.  

-I'm hoping having a coach like AV will help the Flyers if they ever have to play a 7 game series against a team that does the crap you're pointing out about the Yotes.  A coach really really has to massage the refs over the course of a game and a series and AV's the kind of coach that can do that.  Stevens couldn't do it, Berube was actually not bad (he's had a few conversations with refs over his career), Hakstol was god awful.  Laviolette was hit or miss as far as I'm concerned and he's the closest analog they have to AV as far as coaching pedigree goes, so I'm hoping he's a little more advanced at the negotiating skills.

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

This cracked me up.  God I hated those Devils.  Their game plan was literally to grab onto everyone they could until they could spring Elias.  Brodeur was a good goalie, but good lord, what they got away with in front of him was atrocious and made him look more brilliant.