Nibbling a bit of Crow

CoachX

Ive been pretty critical lately of the Flyers style of hockey. I miss the passion and fire of past teams.  I have not changed my POV one bit, but I will have to say thar last nights game was damn fun to watch.

The goal onslaught at the end was fun, but the way they skated and passed was impressive. They were beating the leafs to the puck in their zone and keeping up pressure. 

I still want more agression, but this style of play is a nice alternative. Way to punish that ass!

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

I'm still leery of the "leadership group" and smarting from their seven years of abject failure* but one does need to give credit where it is due. And it is due. They're playing well.

And, of course, if the playoffs started today, we'd all be very, very surprised.

* don't @ me bro! 👺

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm still leery of the "leadership group" and smarting from their seven years of abject failure* but one does need to give credit where it is due. And it is due. They're playing well.

And, of course, if the playoffs started today, we'd all be very, very surprised.

* don't @ me bro! 👺

I think the coaches are the difference 

• Like 1

Just now, CoachX said:

I think the coaches are the difference 

Having three NHL head coaches is certainly better than none.

But I'm also thinking that things like 79, 9, 15, 23, 48, 49, and 11 have something to do with it, too. And I'll throw some love to 21.

14 is 14 is 14 - and that's a Good Thing.  If 53, 6, 25, and 13 get going it would certainly help.

28's coming along. We'll see about ol' 93, though...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm still leery of the "leadership group" and smarting from their seven years of abject failure* but one does need to give credit where it is due. And it is due. They're playing well

I thought Giroux was very good last night, leading by example:  being hard on the puck, tenacious, back checking like mad and killing it in the face off circle. And scoring the game winner, of course. 

But in my opinion the true leader of this group is Coots. He's the beast I always knew he would be. #absolutebeast

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I thought Giroux was very good last night, leading by example:  being hard on the puck, tenacious, back checking like mad and killing it in the face off circle. And scoring the game winner, of course. 

Best Player in the World, no? :hocky:

I kid. I like Giroux. I just want him to earn the accolades he gets showered with by the announcers and some fans.

10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

But in my opinion the true leader of this group is Coots. He's the beast I always knew he would be. #absolutebeast

Ah, yes, I C. :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

He's kind of Ron Francis like IMO. 

I think he's got better stick handling skills because of the era but his size, always being where he needs to be and making everyone he plays with a lot better is very reminiscent of Francis. 

I do think he's a Clarke canidate for sure, Provorov too, that guy plays all the damn time and has been a monster.

Just now, mojo1917 said:

He's kind of Ron Francis like IMO. 

I think he's got better stick handling skills because of the era but his size, always being where he needs to be and making everyone he plays with a lot better is very reminiscent of Francis. 

I don't mind the comparison. He is always in the right spot. It's uncanny. So good. 

Part of this comes down to winning games of course. Sure, the style of hockey isn't what we grew up watching, and many of us especially in flyersdom will always pine for the olden days, but a lot can be forgiven if the team makes a decent playoff run. The emotion and the jumping out of the chair and the shouting at tvs isn't a thing of the past, it's a thing that emerges when watching a team that actually has a chance to win fighting it out on the ice. The problem is this team for the past whatever has been so lifeless, there wasn't much to jump out of our seats over.

Make the playoffs. Beat the pi$$ out of the Pens or something in the first round. That'll go a long ways towards bringing back some franchise luster. 

I'll settle for beating the Leafs actually. I hate the Leafs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, radoran said:

If 53, 6, 25, and 13 get going it would certainly help.

In the last 8 games, dating back to Nov. 19 (randomly chosen to help my point) he has

4G  3A   +5

I don't think I'd lump him in with the others because in addition to the stat line, he contributes well in other ways.

Yeah, if we can get Ghost, Sanheim and Juicy Vaginal Rash going, that'd be great.

(Jammer picked up Ghost in fantasy a couple days ago, so he should either go on a tear or tear a ligament)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

No doubt, the players are delivering.  I would argue though that their performance is a direct result of coaches who wont put up with any of the crap we've had to endure

And has them doing things that make some sense.   

And I don't think the veteran additions of Nisk, Braun, and Hayes hurt either.    I just think that helped to balance both the room and the ice.  So the coaches, the players, and a shout out to the GM (whose hiring I really didn't like. It's a year tomorrow, btw.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

In the last 8 games, dating back to Nov. 19 (randomly chosen to help my point) he has

4G  3A   +5

I don't think I'd lump him in with the others because in addition to the stat line, he contributes well in other ways.

He has seven points in his last 8 games, and went scoreless (-8) in the 10 games prior to that.  Then six points (+4) in four games. And one in the six (-4) prior to that.

Feast or famine.

14 points in 28 games means he's "on pace" for 41 for the year. For centers with an over $6.5M cap hit, he's got more points than Derek Stepan and Paul Stastny.

I think I'd like a little more "go".

Edited by radoran
edited so the total games matches the total games played lol

Although I've read some concern about Patrick coming back, I honestly can't wait.  At this point I have complete confidence in this coaching staff to know how to bring Patrick back into the fold.   I'm not worried that he will throw the team into an imbalance. 

I'm hoping he is back by the end of the month so that he can use January to get back into the swing of things.   A healthy Patrick, managed in the right way, will do nothing but make this team that much stronger.  By March he'll be back up to speed and hopefully be a major contributor down the stretch.  The fact is though, we don't need him to do anything but play solid.  Anything he adds makes them that much better.   Literally no pressure at all.

Tell me this line up doesn't make you smile.....especially the way Laughton and Pitlick are playing now.

Giroux - Frost - Konecny
Lindblom - Couturier - Voracek
JVR - Hayes - Laughton
Farabee (Raffl) - Patrick - Pitlick

If Raffl is back, and I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think it would be good for Farabee to get sent down for a while if only because he'll actually be the odd man out.   Health Patrick > Farabee.   Pitlick right now > Farabee

Farabee has been fighting it for a good 10 games now.  I think the kid will be good, don't get me wrong.   He's had some assists, an EN goal but if you watch him he's making some glaring mistakes especially on the defensive end.   He's been a step slower than his linemates and I just think he's hit a wall and it would help him to play in the AHL (instead of serving popcorn).   I guess at worst you could alternate Pitlick and Farabee.   (sorry Chris, you're a good cheerleader but that's about it)   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

4G  3A   +5

RE: #13.   This.  Even without those numbers, his contribution on the defensive end - especially on the PK - are worth his weight in gold.   I'd actually like to see JVR moved up and Farabee moved off Hayes line.   Unpopular opinion I'm sure but I actually think Farabee is holding back Hayes a bit.  Although there is some chemistry at times, I think they should see if JVR works better on that line.

10 minutes ago, Digityman said:

RE: #13.   This.  Even without those numbers, his contribution on the defensive end - especially on the PK - are worth his weight in gold. 

I like the intangibles and the defensive support.

On pace for 23 goals - good - and 41 points - meh. And for all his defensive acumen, he's -3.

I just think they need a little more from the "second line center" at his pay grade. Not saying he can't do it.

59 minutes ago, radoran said:

I like the intangibles and the defensive support.

On pace for 23 goals - good - and 41 points - meh. And for all his defensive acumen, he's -3.

I just think they need a little more from the "second line center" at his pay grade. Not saying he can't do it.

Hi Mic'd up game is pretty strong:

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

They did.

He didn't.

The guy his 27 goals in 66 games last year. His fourth consecutive "full" season over 25 (and a sixth of 14 in 40).

He's shown that he can score goals over a sizeable period of time.

There is something to be said for "maybe it's not entirely him" in this situation?

I know, I know... he floats. he's terrible. he can't do anything right. Without actually crunching the numbers, I'm gonna posit that he's scored more goals than anyone on the roster over the past five years.

What is it that they "can't get him going" this year?

3 hours ago, radoran said:

14 points in 28 games means he's "on pace" for 41 for the year.

He has averaged around ~45pts yearly throughout his career, so that's probably about accurate. Again, he could probably get more than that if he had someone like Giroux on his wing, but otherwise I do think that's probably what we should expect from him anyway.

He does offer other things of course, as was mentioned here. But in terms of production, a betting man would probably go in around that mark.

I've mentioned a number of times before how the problem with Hayes isn't Hayes so much as the expectations set upon him. Asking a consistent 45pt guy to suddenly bump that up to say 60pts without the benefit of a very good player on his line seems like bad expectations to me.

Edited by elmatus