Wild vs. Lightning 12/5/19 @ 6:00PM CST at Amalie Arena

CreaseAndAssist

Wild Answer Back Multiple Times in 5-4 Win Over Tampa Bay

I am not sure what's better, having Lou Nanne as the analyst or these Wild victories?  Maybe it was the play of Carson Soucy who was fantastic tonight.  He was physical, he was creative and assertive.  You can't ask for much more from him.  Dumba on the other hand, really seems to be fighting the game out there.  But another immensely resilient effort from this group.  Minnesota is moving into the high reward areas of the ice and they're cashing in.  Great to see...I have a full game recap and prospect news and HS hockey rankings too!  Check it out!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I am not sure what's better, having Lou Nanne as the analyst or these Wild victories?  Maybe it was the play of Carson Soucy who was fantastic tonight.  He was physical, he was creative and assertive.  You can't ask for much more from him.  Dumba on the other hand, really seems to be fighting the game out there.  But another immensely resilient effort from this group.  Minnesota is moving into the high reward areas of the ice and they're cashing in.  Great to see...I have a full game recap and prospect news and HS hockey rankings too!  Check it out!  

Oh, this team is so frustrating. It’s great they’re winning, but I just don’t see this team as a Cup contender. 
Which will probably result in another first round exit and everyone clapping themselves on their back and saying “Wait til next year!” 🙄
...oh, and another 15-20 pick...

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Minnesota, playing as a full team unit does it again.
Good win, not so much for the goaltending, but for being able to match an offensive team goal for goal +1

Agreed. 

Would it matter who's in goal because they're playing as a full team? Or are they playing more determined because of 'Back ups' being in net. Either way, Keeping the lines for the most part together has finally proven it's worth.

I don't think Stalock will steal many games like a true #1 goalie but I'm somewhat

happy with his play generally speaking during this extended opportunity for him. 

Edited by ClusterChuck

19 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Oh, this team is so frustrating. It’s great they’re winning, but I just don’t see this team as a Cup contender. 
Which will probably result in another first round exit and everyone clapping themselves on their back and saying “Wait til next year!” 🙄
...oh, and another 15-20 pick...

The players are never going to purposely lose. if you have a GM trade tank to get a player, it will years and years before the team is good enough to be in the playoffs. i mean look at the sabres, they are only starting to be competitive, and that was with how many #1 and #2 picks (8 years without a playoff appearance). they are still not as good as the wild.

the wild are a very good team, and they are a top line scorer and solid goaltender away from being great. they are quite solid defensively. 

Edited by Miles

3 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Would it matter who's in goal because they're playing as a full team? Or are they playing more determined because of 'Back ups' being in net.

Chuck, the Wild have had in the two previous games 49 SOG and scored 9 goals! While the opponent has had 80 SOG and scored only 6 goals.

More like the opposing team's goalies have been the factor (Vasilevskiy .762). Yet I think having Dubnyk out while winning hasn't been coincidental.

Wild's efficiency has been phenomenal but we all know it won't continue like this. Especially for a team who's been a low scoring team for ages.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Agreed. 

Would it matter who's in goal because they're playing as a full team? Or are they playing more determined because of 'Back ups' being in net. Either way, Keeping the lines for the most part together has finally proven it's worth.

I don't think Stalock will steal many games like a true #1 goalie but I'm somewhat

happy with his play generally speaking during this extended opportunity for him. 

When a team is playing like the Wild are, it matters LESS who is in goal, but having a bonafide number one still is the preferable choice.
I am not a Stalock fan, but even I will admit he has done pretty well in the time given to him in net.

Granted, in last night's game, I thought he got lucky on more than one occasion as the TB offense just was not cashing in on golden opportunities, but then again, when you are playing well like Stalock and the Wild have, "luck" tends to be a by-product of hard work, effort, and being engaged in the game, so I won't take that away from Minnesota.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

More like the opposing team's goalies have been the factor (Vasilevskiy .762). Yet I think having Dubnyk out while winning hasn't been coincidental.

Wild's efficiency has been phenomenal but we all know it won't continue like this. Especially for a team who's been a low scoring team for ages.

That's why I brought up the goalie issue. The team 'may' feel like Dub's can keep the GA's low, But this year 3-4 has been the norm.

When Stalock's in, 3-4 GA's may be expected so they may play different to avoid that.

It can't be coincidence that this points/win streak isn't directly related to keeping lines together...Something we haven't seen consistently in ...Well, Forever.

It's just a nice streak and fun to watch. The 'tankers' aren't enjoying it right now, But I don't think anyone's thinking the Wild are last year's Blues team.;) 

Btw, I only saw the 3rd last night and some of previous from prior game away from TV...

What happened to Koivu??

Edited by ClusterChuck

48 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

It's just a nice streak and fun to watch. The 'tankers' aren't enjoying it right now, 

I dont understand why they would want it. A single player, even a #1 is going to be 3 years before they can make a difference. a tank would take 5 years to recover from. Look at the sabres, they get several great picks caused from the tank years (reinhardt, eichel, middlestat, dahlin, cozens) and they still are not good, and its been 5 years. 

Is that what they want, 5 years of garbage hockey before a glimmer of hope. I know I dont.

I was a big sabres fan and I started watching the wild because of the sabres tanking because I refused to watch them lose because the gm wanted to force a rebuild. The wild will get there, they have a few bad contracts to wait out

Edited by Miles
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Miles said:

I dont understand why they would want it. A single player, even a #1 is going to be 3 years before they can make a difference. a tank would take 5 years to recover from. Look at the sabres, they get several great picks caused from the tank years (reinhardt, eichel, middlestat, dahlin, cozens) and they still are not good, and its been 5 years. 

Is that what they want, 5 years of garbage hockey before a glimmer of hope. I know I dont.

I was a big sabres fan and I started watching the wild because of the sabres tanking because I refused to watch them lose because the gm wanted to force a rebuild. The wild will get there, they have a few bad contracts to wait out

I'm with you. 1 player isn't going to carry a team to the Cup. (Ok, There are exceptions) But you need a decent team around him.

Better scouting and developing from the farm is what I'd like to see and now we will see if Guerin is able to piece together something of value. Fenton was over his head and didn't help from Fletcher's many mistakes.

After years and years of middle of the road picks and 'Plug n' Play' vet signings, I can see the appeal of a top pick coming here.

I just don't want to go through even worse years to get it. 

Imo, It's a horribly tough choice for CL and Guerin to make on which way to go.

8 hours ago, Miles said:

Interesting , that we have now a fan, who was a fan before of the tanking Buffalo team and has his own personal opinion/feelings about the rebuild.  My other example , was an Edmonton Oilers team - it took decades and decades to build something decent with all their #1 picks. And a fresh opposite example, Arizona team without any rebuilds doing pretty well now(#1 team in the Pacific), because they all playing with a heart and with an improved goaltender - Darcy Kuemper. Life is too short, to see all the time how we continuously lose  games especially in the State of Hockey during the cold long winters. Not much else we can do here during the winters - but just to watch a hockey.😂 .  Sincerely, it was a very depressing for me to watch in October and a good portion of November  our games and I really started to lose an interest to the team. It was a real shame to see their play. And I had same feelings as it happened with you a former Buffalo fan. Suddenly, the team started to play better with a heart. Even LIG compared it to the Wild team of Jacques Lemaire time.  It is a good sign so far🙂 . Hope, we will see a real team's character(maybe with Kaapo Kahkonen) during a crucial month of the regular season - in March. Last year it was - zero character (without Kaapo or Hammond tryout), which placed us on a last place of our Division. Solid goaltenders makes a huge difference for the team. It is an axiom.

22 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Agree. It was huge win against of the extra offensive team on their ice. I heard that commentators said - more than 19,000.00 fans were attended to that game. And also they said that Carson Soucy playing like a forward nicely transformed from a defenseman. It was a good game for him.

LIG. Thanks for mentioning that our GM Bill Guerin met with Kirill Kaprizov in Moscow. Hopefully , we will  see some positive more structural changes in our team next season.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I  Sincerely, it was a very depressing for me to watch in October and a good portion of November  our games and I really started to lose an interest to the team. It was a real shame to see their play. And I had same feelings as it happened with you a former Buffalo fan. Suddenly, the team started to play better with a heart. 

i still watch the sabres, but i couldnt just watch them lose over and over, knowing their GM did it intentionally.  i was actually glad it backfired and they didnt get mcdavid. only because it felt like cheating. not that eichel is anything to balk at, he is doing solid play and probably top 5/10 in the league right now.

i found i really enjoy the wild style of play more than buffalo's play. i love watching the forechecking and frustrating opponents.  honestly thought, deep down, i will always love the sabres, but i enjoy watching the wild so much. typically when they play the same night, i will watch one live and the other the next day, and just dont check the scores.

anyway, i loved the game last night, even though stalock was rough, seeing Vasilevskiy get lit up was really fun. after the dirty play the lightning do, i am glad to root against them all the time. 

Edited by Miles

(shrugs)  Early in the season, this team didn't seem too inspired.  At some point they got mad and most everyone on the team raised their game.  As far as Stalock goes, I've always liked him.  Even going back to his HS days at South St. Paul.  He's athletic and isn't your typical big body goalie that just uses angles and oversize pads to make every save.  Yes, he takes risks...but he also can play the puck at a level most other goalies can't.  So it makes it somewhat interesting to watch.  I liked Anton Khudobin when he was with the Wild for some of the same reasons, athletic...unorthodox and both guys seemed to have a personality.   I am still in favor of tanking and getting a Top 3 pick, but I am enjoying watching a team finally play as a team in a way we really haven't seen in a long time.  I don't have control over this team's mood, so I'm not going to worry about it.  Its not worth it...just enjoy the ride.  Would I be kind of disappointed if they'r fighting to be midling 1st round exit, yea...it is counterproductive, but the hockey is more fun to watch and write about.     

• Like 2