Wild vs. Ducks 12/10/19 @ 7:00PM CST at the X

CreaseAndAssist

Wild Power Play Lets Them Down in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Anaheim

Wes Walz re-joins the broadcast and just won't stop freakin' talking the whole time.  The Wild spent half the game MIA.  Now Staal looks like he might be hurt a while...Dumba isn't doing anything offensively and just taking lazy penalties.  The 4th line was good, and so was Donato who is making a case for more ice time and opportunity, as is Fiala.  Overtime, that power play...wow...talk about clueless.  Full game recap and a ton of prospect news too.  Enjoy...

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  Right thing to do?  Just to give Stalock some rest.  But sure...play some of the kids.  You'd almost think they'd want to wait for Koivu to be healthy to give him a tribute, but they must be desperate to sell some tickets for this game.  

Maybe that. But mostly to see has he in him to pass Dubnyk and Stalock in the pecking order and how soon. Another promising game, in the 3 games he's played he's been better than Stalock. The stats back up the eye-test. I cannot see how BB can rationalize NOT to give KK more starts. KK might be the future of the Wild, those two veterans simply are not.

6 hours ago, Bear said:

I didn't see the game in Carolina is that why they took a beating?

You might want to watch the Canes play, I have. A very exciting group and fun to watch.

Again they scored 6 goals, this time against the Oilers, and couple of those goals were highlight material. Their speed and way to execute offensive plays...

That's what you get when you draft high-end talent and not just sign has-beens in the offseason. The Canes have a monstrous top line. When was the last time the Wild drafted a forward who could pull off anything spectacular in the offensive end?

Well, that was an ugly game. Did we get just one shot in the first period. KK with a bad rebound. It got a lot better later on, IMO. I didn't see the last ten minutes nor the OT or shootout. Sounds like we are now using faster players - if we don't have PP. So let us pray for no PP time in OT! KK not looking very good in shootouts but the NHL doesn't forcefeed us shootouts in the playoffs, so that's not the end of the world. Perhaps he'll get better by time and practice,, 

14 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Well, that was an ugly game. Did we get just one shot in the first period. KK with a bad rebound. It got a lot better later on, IMO. I didn't see the last ten minutes nor the OT or shootout. Sounds like we are now using faster players - if we don't have PP. So let us pray for no PP time in OT! KK not looking very good in shootouts but the NHL doesn't forcefeed us shootouts in the playoffs, so that's not the end of the world. Perhaps he'll get better by time and practice,, 

So the homer commentator said but if you can come by his comment and have a look at it again, watch the Wild players. That's how you play D? That's just careless and lazy.

Wild2-min.thumb.PNG.4615970ebd728862c01e8c9e49818b43.PNG

Well, those were the first SO attempts he's faced, I wouldn't generalize too much at this point. KK kind of reminds me of Backstrom - their style of play is similar and he wasn't excellent either in the SOs in the early part of his career.

Edited by Hockey-78
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  Right thing to do?  Just to give Stalock some rest.  But sure...play some of the kids.  You'd almost think they'd want to wait for Koivu to be healthy to give him a tribute, but they must be desperate to sell some tickets for this game.  

Exactly - it's like a ghost town out there (in the *&^%ing cold 😬) before games - no one is buying - pretty soon they are gonna need giveaways every night...Minnesotans love giveaways

• Like 1

On the positive side, soucy had another good game, donato was ok at center, needs to improve faceoff, and mennel was not bad. 
I was impressed with his first game in nhl. Lot of room for improvement, but not bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomdog said:

On the positive side, soucy had another good game, donato was ok at center, needs to improve faceoff, and mennel was not bad. 
I was impressed with his first game in nhl. Lot of room for improvement, but not bad. 

Yeah, IMO Soucy's been excellent the whole season. His stats back up the eye-test, too.

The faster they give more minutes to Soucy and Hunt, the better for the Wild. And Donato has certainly improved lately.

Most definitely the more inexperienced players are carrying the Wild at the moment.

12 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

So the homer commentator said but if you can come by his comment and have a look at it again, watch the Wild players. That's how you play D? That's just careless and lazy.

Wild2-min.thumb.PNG.4615970ebd728862c01e8c9e49818b43.PNG

Well, those were the first SO attempts he's faced, I wouldn't generalize too much at this point. KK kind of reminds me of Backstrom - their style of play is similar and he wasn't excellent either in the SOs in the early part of his career.

I remember reading somewhere some years ago, that there is a big difference in the training of Finnish goalies, compared to North American goalie training. IIRC the Finns emphasised concentrating on the first catch, letting the team concentrate on the hindering of any secondary opportunities, rebounds etc. If my recollection is true, that would be mean that Finnish goalies have much to learn on rebound control, when they come to the NHL.

6 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

I remember reading somewhere some years ago, that there is a big difference in the training of Finnish goalies, compared to North American goalie training. IIRC the Finns emphasised concentrating on the first catch, letting the team concentrate on the hindering of any secondary opportunities, rebounds etc. If my recollection is true, that would be mean that Finnish goalies have much to learn on rebound control, when they come to the NHL.

Fair enough.

Still I think that goal wasn't on KK. Horrible D coverage, both Kunin and Ek entering the zone before Rakell, Silfverberg was on Dumba yet Dumba$$ just stood there and watched, swung his head and boom!

Trade him while he still has some value, he'll never learn how to play the D, his 7th season already.

• Like 1

I thought Victor Rask had a good game too.  IMO, I'd give him more ice time.  Same with Donato who seems to be chipping in offensively and I like that he doesn't throw the coaches under the bus like Parise did after the game.  Did anyone hear those comments?  

Parise and Suter are accountable to no one...that needs to change.  

As far as the defensive zone coverage.  ZERO surprise there.  Suter is mostly lazy and Dumba doesn't anticipate plays in the defensive zone worth a crap.  Neither hustles too much in their own end either.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I thought Victor Rask had a good game too.  IMO, I'd give him more ice time.  Same with Donato who seems to be chipping in offensively and I like that he doesn't throw the coaches under the bus like Parise did after the game.  Did anyone hear those comments?  

Parise and Suter are accountable to no one...that needs to change.  

As far as the defensive zone coverage.  ZERO surprise there.  Suter is mostly lazy and Dumba doesn't anticipate plays in the defensive zone worth a crap.  Neither hustles too much in their own end either.  

Anyone of our group of four? No, do share...

One explanation for Dumba's lack of hustle in his own end is that he has fire in his pants to go on offense. If there's a turnover he wants to join the rush. So he's saving his energy for that.

Suter saves his energy to have a good time after the game.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Anyone of our group of four? No, do share...

One explanation for Dumba's lack of hustle in his own end is that he has fire in his pants to go on offense. If there's a turnover he wants to join the rush. So he's saving his energy for that.

Suter saves his energy to have a good time after the game.

Straight from Russo's tweets...

Parise on 4-on-3: "It would be nice to get that one in overtime. 4-on-3 is tough, but it’s one of those we haven’t talked about a ton. It doesn’t happen too often, but I think it’s something maybe we need to look at a little more to find our options a little bit.”

Boudreau was asked about those comments...

"You have to practice everything, but there’s only so much time in a day,” Boudreau said in deliberate fashion. “What’s that, our first 4-on-3 of the year? Yeah, we need to practice it more, but there are things that happen 10 times a night that you have to be better at. It’s not like quite frankly there was a first-year player on the ice. And they go over it on video … before (every) game, 4-on-3, how does the other team play, 5-on-3, so, yeah, we should practice it more. But there’s only so much time in a day to practice and we haven’t had much practice time at all in the last three weeks.”

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Straight from Russo's tweets...

Parise on 4-on-3: "It would be nice to get that one in overtime. 4-on-3 is tough, but it’s one of those we haven’t talked about a ton. It doesn’t happen too often, but I think it’s something maybe we need to look at a little more to find our options a little bit.”

Boudreau was asked about those comments...

"You have to practice everything, but there’s only so much time in a day,” Boudreau said in deliberate fashion. “What’s that, our first 4-on-3 of the year? Yeah, we need to practice it more, but there are things that happen 10 times a night that you have to be better at. It’s not like quite frankly there was a first-year player on the ice. And they go over it on video … before (every) game, 4-on-3, how does the other team play, 5-on-3, so, yeah, we should practice it more. But there’s only so much time in a day to practice and we haven’t had much practice time at all in the last three weeks.”

Poor Parise. So hard to admit they just couldn't get it done. Heck, if you're a player with talent you'll improvise and play like your instincts tell you to. The man has such a low hockey IQ...

BB is absolutely right. Do they really need to practise 4 on 3 a lot like it's the key thing stopping them from winning more? Too bad BB didn't suggest they need to practise scoring 5 hole a lot more...

Edited by Hockey-78
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Poor Parise. So hard to admit they just couldn't get it done. Heck, if you're a player with talent you'll improvise and play like your instincts tell you to. The man has such a low hockey IQ...

BB is absolutely right. Do they really need to practise 4 on 3 a lot like it's the key thing stopping them from winning more? Too bad BB didn't suggest they need to practise scoring 5 hole a lot more...

If I was Boudreau, I would've asked why Adam Oates didn't cover that a few years ago?  Zach can shut the hell up.  

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 1:26 PM, Hockey-78 said:

Still I think that goal wasn't on KK. Horrible D coverage, both Kunin and Ek entering the zone before Rakell, Silfverberg was on Dumba yet Dumba$$ just stood there and watched, swung his head and boom!

Trade him while he still has some value, he'll never learn how to play the D, his 7th season already.

Agreed. 

Take away that 1/2 season last year prior to the injury (Offensively) and Dumba seems to be right back to where he was before.

I feel we lost way too much in protecting him in the Vegas draft.

At least there's very little talk about him being the 2nd coming of a certain Sharks D-man now. ;) 

5 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Agreed. 

Take away that 1/2 season last year prior to the injury (Offensively) and Dumba seems to be right back to where he was before.

I feel we lost way too much in protecting him in the Vegas draft.

At least there's very little talk about him being the 2nd coming of a certain Sharks D-man now. ;) 

Funny you should mention that. I haven't seen too many Sharks' games but Burns has -23 rating. What?! Is he too, like Athanasiou, trying to break Mikkelson's record?

Some would counter argument that the team and goalies have not been good either. Yet, Karlsson who has always been questioned for his D has "only" -6.

But yeah, Dumba and Burns in the same sentence... get real. 😏

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Funny you should mention that. I haven't seen too many Sharks' games but Burns has -23 rating. What?! Is he too, like Athanasiou, trying to break Mikkelson's record?

Some would counter argument that the team and goalies have not been good either. Yet, Karlsson who has always been questioned for his D has "only" -6.

I don't really give too much to the +/- ...Especially when it comes to top players.

They will be on the ice for nearly 1/2 the game and when it's a struggling team, Of course it will reflect on them but does it really tell any story. You may be playing fine but there's 5 other's who aren't possibly.

Now if someone is playing 25-30 mins and is + or close to even on a struggling team, That at least tells you to look elsewhere for the problem on the team.

One of the biggest waste of stats is the TOI.. The scroll under NHL Tonight is filled with TOI after every 'star' player.

Oh look,... Patrick Kane 1G 26:14 TOI...Ryan Suter 1A 27:43 TOI....No Sh!T ??

Give me some interesting info, Not what we all know.