Lindblom diagnosed with cancer. Out for the season

albertaflyer

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I read that it’s a very rare form of cancer and it’s very aggressive. This poor kid, I hope he somehow beats it. Wow is there another team with the bad luck of the Flyers. Lindbergh, Dupree, Trytishny and now Lindblom facing a huge battle. I read up on it and it doesn’t sound good. Terrible news.

It sure is.  Does it sound as bad as Pancreatic (which took Patrick Swayze)?  Or Lung?  Those are as bad as there are. Bone is different but I am hoping he can fight it with chemo and being young?  Prayers with him

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

No .... I primarily work in the surgical unit in the OR.  We have a separate oncology department with pharmacist's who do this all the time.  So no ...I'm sorry I don't have much experience.  I can read the journals and protocols and give an educated opinion, but I have zero interaction with these patients on a daily basis, unless they come to the OR for a mediport or power port placement for their chemo.

Hi Pilldoc.  Do you know if this type of bone cancer is in the same league as Pancreatic or Lung cancer? I know the C word is always bad, but its not always a death sentence and lets pray its not here.

29 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Do you know if this type of bone cancer is in the same league as Pancreatic or Lung cancer? 

I am not in medical field, but based on what I know, the answer is no.  Pancreatic cancer is one of the deadliest cancers and is usually hopeless.  Lung cancer is right behind it.  Ewing sarcoma is not as ominous and is fairly curable.  But again, the key is early detection.  I don't know how early they picked it in Oscar.

I am glad he is in a city with an amazing medical infrastructure. He is also an athlete who's starting the battle in good health.  Mario Lemieux and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma come to mind.  He will have two families in his corner--biological and his teammates. 

40 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I am glad he is in a city with an amazing medical infrastructure. He is also an athlete who's starting the battle in good health.  Mario Lemieux and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma come to mind.  He will have two families in his corner--biological and his teammates. 

And John Hopkins is close too.  Roswell pk Buffalo is good too and there are plenty more on East coast.  I know Philly has the childrens hopital that is famous, a surgeon of mine worked there.  And it being more of a young child's type of cancer, maybe that hospital is an option also?  I am sure he is in good hands.

Edited by Hockey Junkie

13 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

The problem with cancer in general is that even tests won't always signal a problem.  It's usually symptoms that make one suspect that something is very wrong.  And when they *do* test, it often happens to be too late.  Ewing sarcoma is aggressive, but is one of the most curable forms of cancer as long as it's not spread (in which case the survival rate is significantly lower).  Let's hope and pray it's not spread and he beats it.

I can attest.

I'm currently in the hospital with my father during his final days.

We had a family reunion in July. First time all the kids and grandkids were together in the house in 20 years. Dad looked a little thinner but was still normal and active.

By september he was throwing up on the golf course and my sister had to urge him to get checked out. By the time it was too late. Symptoms with a lot of forms of cancer are too late most of the time.

We tried whipple surgery to remove the tumor but after surgery they said they saw spots on his liver and colon. He lived with me for a month in October and the start of november during surgical recovery then went home to moncton with my sister. 

Hoped whipple would buy him time but it barely did. He has signed papers to end his suffering and asked us to be by his side during. 

I will add this young man to my prayers with everyone else I have met in this unit in halifax and moncton and everyone who has ever had to face this anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I just thought everyone should be as informed as possible .......  hope you don't mind.

Full transparency .....  I am not as strong in updated cancer chemotherapy treatments... I just don't do enough of it on a daily basis.

Thanks for all the information (although mostly above my head).  I think he's in one of the better cities and hopefully beats this ****.  It is so sad.  Prayers for Oskar!!!  🙏

yes terrible news.

we're all hoping of a full recovery for Oscar.

He is one of the mojo families favorites, Mrs mojo teases Teen girl mojo about Oscar.

We hope he takes cancer into the corner and comes away with the puck.

Edited by mojo1917

feels like a punch in the gut when I read stuff like that.

Lump in your throat. Watched my gram go from lung cancer (never smoked a day in her life.....go figure).

Cancer deserves to have it's Ass PUNISHED.....repeatedly.

Hope this young man turns out to be one of the survivors!

• Like 1

A very good read about a former player going through what Lindblom will be going through.

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-oskar-lindblom-ewings-sarcoma-bone-cancer-mark-herzlich-giants-linebacker-20191216.html?outputType=amp

#prayersforoskar

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 9:04 PM, OccamsRazor said:

A very good read about a former player going through what Lindblom will be going through.

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-oskar-lindblom-ewings-sarcoma-bone-cancer-mark-herzlich-giants-linebacker-20191216.html?outputType=amp

#prayersforoskar

It is a very good read. Nice article.  I was thinking a lot last week regarding Oskar Lindblom. How we/fans can help to this talented player? Because these are always an extremely very very sad news. But let's be more optimistic. Oskar is 23 y.o.,he is a young strong athlete capable to fight with disease. In my opinion,first of all, Oskar Lindblom should take a second opinion at our worldwide famous Mayo Clinic in Rochester,MN regarding the most newest treatment and, first of all, diagnosis confirmation of this disease, because that clinic is treating lots of presidents, business people, famous athletes, actors and etc. from around the world. Their medical research is always on the top of the many medicine fields. Mayo Clinic is like a city in the Rochester city in Minnesota. I always advise to my friends to take a second opinion in any serious cases there. And in most of these cases my friends received a very effective treatment there.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

According to a report from the website survivornet.com, an online cancer research and support community, Philadelphia Flyers forward Oskar LIndbolm has completed his treatments for bone cancer.

“He feels great, considering the condition he’s in,” said Brett Flahr, Flyers assistant general manager told the Philadelphia Inquirer, “He’s such a great kid and he’s determined. His focus is to play as soon as possible.”

“He’s doing things like cardio [workouts] to keep up his strength as much as he can. I think as soon as he gets his last treatments, the worst is over for him.” Flahr reported that Lindblom’s doctors have told the young forward “it couldn’t have gone any better for him.”

Lindblom’s teammates, of course, want nothing but the best for him.

“Obviously we want to win,” player Kevin Hayes told NBC Sports, “but hockey is an extreme lower level … compared to cancer. He’s going through a battle and … he just brings a bunch of energy to this room.” The Flyers have kept Lindblom’s locker room stall in tact, waiting for his eventual return.

But… could the kid actually return to the ice when the NHL resumes play later this summer? With the determination that this kid has shown over the past six months… anything is possible. I’d never, EVER count out Oskar Lindblom now.

For the full story, click below:

• Like 2