Where is the offense going to come from now?

RonJeremy

With all the parity in the NHL now ,every point matters and we can’t afford to waste opportunities and drop down too far because it will be hard to make up the points . Even when we had our full lineup we weren’t scoring enough goals. With TK being out for a while and Lindblom out for the year ,this puts a serious damper on our goal scoring.  We also have JVR and Voracek underachieving as well.  So unless these guys and Farabee and Frost suddenly turn it up several notches we may miss the playoffs. Whether we want to or not we may have to deal Ghost for a scoring winger. Let’s be real , Vorobyev or guys like that are not the answer and the only asset other than Frost or Farabee that can get us anything is Ghost.

• Like 1

RJ:

I think you tapped the broader "design" question that arises with Lindblom and Patrick's situation:  What "youth" makes up for our declining "seniors?"  I wonder about Patrick long-term in terms of resilience.  He seems really fragile.  Oskar's situation is a wildcard.  Laughton is a first rounder who's paying off on the forward front.  I suspect we will have a truly supreme test of coaching and drafting in coming weeks.  We were probably a marginal playoff club under best circumstances.  What harvest we reap from prior drafts is a huge question. 

• Like 1

Is Ghost performing at a level that will get a good return?  I'm afraid we may be selling low there.  Other teams may see his potential. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.  Guaranteed he'll take off and play lights out, though, for whatever team he's traded to. That's the Flyer way!!  I'd shop Giroux. He's underperforming this season too. Definitely off his pace. But we might be able to get something decent in return.....before it's too late. If it isn't already. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

With all the parity in the NHL now ,every point matters and we can’t afford to waste opportunities and drop down too far because it will be hard to make up the points . Even when we had our full lineup we weren’t scoring enough goals. With TK being out for a while and Lindblom out for the year ,this puts a serious damper on our goal scoring.  We also have JVR and Voracek underachieving as well.  So unless these guys and Farabee and Frost suddenly turn it up several notches we may miss the playoffs. Whether we want to or not we may have to deal Ghost for a scoring winger. Let’s be real , Vorobyev or guys like that are not the answer and the only asset other than Frost or Farabee that can get us anything is Ghost.

AV said it at the start of the year. Your best players have to be be your best players.

You are paying them...it's time to step up and earn that money.

It starts with the Captain.

Giroux 8.2 mill

Couturier 4.3 mill

Voracek 8.2 mill

Van Riemsdyk 7 mill

Hayes 7 mill

That is 34.7 mill in cap space tied up in these 5 guys....and i ain't talking about burgers.

It is time to go earn that money....ain't no one else coming to save them.

"Be a fukin Flyer!!!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

AV said it at the start of the year. Your best players have to be be your best players.

You are paying them...it's time to step up and earn that money.

It starts with the Captain.

Giroux 8.2 mill

Couturier 4.3 mill

Voracek 8.2 mill

Van Riemsdyk 7 mill

Hayes 7 mill

That is 34.7 mill in cap space tied up in these 5 guys....and i ain't talking about burgers.

It is time to go earn that money....ain't no one else coming to save them.

"Be a fukin Flyer!!!"

We have to face the facts JVR and Jake are both horribly inconsistent,  one of them has to go in the expansion draft, nobody is trading for an $8 million 5 goal scorer or an $8.5 million  turnover machine. Hayes is a solid third line player making superstar $ but he has helped defensively and with the PK. G is a good player but not a leader he is a complimentary player and Coots is a good player who is having an off year so far. JVR, G and Jake are not gonna get any better over the next few years, as they age they are gonna put up even worse numbers. Our GM has some big decisions coming up, he has to dump 2 of these bloated contracts . One contract we can hopefully lose with expansion and one of the others may have to be a buyout.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

"Be a fukin Flyer!!!"

I totally agree, but the problem is we have a lineup of soft ,overpaid , underachievers. The Flyers  we grew up watching always out worked the other teams ,we were never the most talented team in the league but we had great leadership and never quit, we always finished our checks and even when we lost , the other team knew they were in a  game and next game we were coming out guns blazing.

Now we get beat up and outhit and nobody steps up and it’s a cake walk.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Another hope/prayer/question is whether we have some gems in our late round picks?  Detroit was known for landing these guys:

https://thehockeywriters.com/late-draft-picks-lead-to-red-wings-success/

Time will tell if the Flyers stable is stocked as well as we think it is.

Can the Flyer fans remain patient to see this through well is a whole new question.

One i don't have a answer for...but getting help from your draft is very key to achieving success and better yet maintaining it.

Look no further than the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles they captured lightning in a bottle winning it all but their poor record drafting and not helped them remain a top team in the NFL the following two years.

Free agency has to be used with the draft....you can not build a team through free agency alone in a salary cap world.

Have the Flyers acquired the right pieces yet???

Not sure...

...but part of the Eagles problems too is knowing WHEN to move on from key but aging pieces....not doing that has hurt their Super Bowl chances greatly this year.

It isn't an exact science and is every hard to do.

• Like 1

Our most recent best late round/ undrafted  forward is definitely Lindblom.  Its been a long time since we had someone like that.  Ghost and Zamula are also two good recent ones. Our last huge impact guys like that were Poulin, Kerr and Sinasalo.

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Our most recent best late round/ undrafted  forward is definitely Lindblom.  Its been a long time since we had someone like that.  Ghost and Zamula are also two good recent ones. Our last huge impact guys like that were Poulin, Kerr and Sinasalo.

And just even look at what has happened to them when they have landed the 2nd overall pick...seems to have gotten burned not once but twice....

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And just even look at what has happened to them when they have landed the 2nd overall pick...seems to have gotten burned not once but twice....

Yeah just our luck, the Devils got lucky 2 years in a row , the Rangers got a  great pick and we lost out on Kane and we picked a guy with injuries and migraines. With the talent available in that draft, I don’t know why we didn’t trade down and get another pick. Patrick was not so head and shoulders a better player than some of the lower rated guys. With Lindros and Bourdon, you would think we would stay away from guys that are already getting hurt before they even make the NHL. If there is a Tkachuk type of player available in the next draft, you do everything you can to move up and get a guy like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

With the talent available in that draft, I don’t know why we didn’t trade down and get another pick.

Because as everyone will state Patrick was the consensus 2nd pick...however i as well as many of us were worried about his injury history.

I would have been ok trading back for those reasons...but it could have been mostly no one wanted to HAVE to make that call.

No other team maybe wanted to trade with Ron i guess we'll never know. Regardless they are stuck now.

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Because as everyone will state Patrick was the consensus 2nd pick...however i as well as many of us were worried about his injury history.

I would have been ok trading back for those reasons...but it could have been mostly no one wanted to HAVE to make that call.

No other team maybe wanted to trade with Ron i guess we'll never know. Regardless they are stuck now.

I understand he was the consensus #2 pick but the Flyers have gone off the board with some of their picks and taken guys like Sanheim, Rubstov and O’Brien when there were several players rated above them. I guess your right , when it’s the second pick, nobody wants to make a mistake and they play it safe. Forsberg was a phenomenal surprise pick for us. I mean for Colorado. The Flyers need to make a bold move we have been stuck in neutral for too long. We can’t make a bonehead panic move. This team needs some personality and an identity. We don’t have any game breakers like OV or  Cindy, so we have to play as a team,  like the Flyers of old. You have to have a plan and fit in the proper pieces and build a team that can compete with any style a team with a blend of  skill,  size, toughness, grit and determination .

Our older players G, JVR, Voracek  are going to start declining, it’s time to move them out or you will be back in cap hell again and stuck with underachieving stiffs. After this year G and Voracek should no longer be captains if they are still here. A fiery guy like TK should be captain and give an A to Provorov and Coots. We are not winning anything as it is, it’s time to revamp and build around TK, Frost and Farabee.

This may be an interesting trade deadline.  My guess is that Fletcher knows the score on his older players.  Their warts become more obvious and worrisome in the face of our illness/injury plague. The strange thing--do you trust these guy with draft picks? Seriously, if we could trade one of the seniors (and probably eat salary), I suspect picks would be part of the return.  

On 12/15/2019 at 12:49 PM, RonJeremy said:

Whether we want to or not we may have to deal Ghost for a scoring winger.

Ghost is the scoring winger in sheep's clothing we have been looking for.

What better time than now to try it?  Come on AV..... give him 5 games at wing and I bet we never look back.

23 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Ghost is the scoring winger in sheep's clothing we have been looking for.

What better time than now to try it?  Come on AV..... give him 5 games at wing and I bet we never look back.

Not a terrible idea.  I'd try it while they have the injury space and still have an NHL defenseman [sic] sitting in the press box.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Not a terrible idea.  I'd try it while they have the injury space and still have an NHL defenseman [sic] sitting in the press box.

It can't hurt to try it in practice a few times then do it during a game. I still think they should also move Farabee to his natural left wing, move G to R wing and Frost at center. Maybe Farabee will play better on his natural side. Its worth a shot for a few games.

Second line can be  Coots, JVR, Jake.

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

It can't hurt to try it in practice a few times then do it during a game. I still think they should also move Farabee to his natural left wing, move G to R wing and Frost at center. Maybe Farabee will play better on his natural side. Its worth a shot for a few games.

Second line can be  Coots, JVR, Jake.

Yeah, I'd like to see Farabee on the left, too.

I forget where I read it recently, but it stated something to the affect that Giroux did not want to go to the right.  It wasn't worded in a way that read like he "refused," but just that he "preferred" to stay on the left and the idea of the right was dropped.

But yeah, I'd personally like to see what Farabee could do on the left.  It doesn't quite seem fair to ask him to learn to play in the NHL and his off-wing all at the same time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

With some other coach, I'd say it's possible.  This coach is as conservative and old-school as they come.  I doubt he will entertain the idea of a d-man actually playing a wing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I'd like to see Farabee on the left, too.

I forget where I read it recently, but it stated something to the affect that Giroux did not want to go to the right.  It wasn't worded in a way that read like he "refused," but just that he "preferred" to stay on the left and the idea of the right was dropped.

But yeah, I'd personally like to see what Farabee could do on the left.  It doesn't quite seem fair to ask him to learn to play in the NHL and his off-wing all at the same time.

Im positive G played some R wing in juniors, he should be a team player and just give it a shot until TK comes back. Maybe he can score some sneaky Briere style goals from the right side and with teams keying on G, Farabee may have some space to score some goals. Either way with Lindblom out Farabee should move to his spot on L wing when we get our injured guys back.