Kovlachuk is being released by LA is he worth a look?

RonJeremy

Just now, RonJeremy said:

Is Kovalchuk any good at this point? Is he worth signing? Maybe we dump  Voracek or JVR for whatever we can get and sign Kovlachuk.? Give him a 1 year contract and see if he still has it, if not then at least we dumped one bad long term contract.

Not a two way player.  NO

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Is Kovalchuk any good at this point? Is he worth signing? Maybe we dump  Voracek or JVR for whatever we can get and sign Kovalchuk.? Give him a 1 year contract and see if he still has it, if not then at least we dumped one bad long term contract.

At this point i'm not sure he can help...especially in AV system they already have two bums on the squad that don't like to play in their own end adding a 3rd wouldn't help.

But if you mean pick him up and trade away a JVR or Voracek i would get behind.

30 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I honestly would not want him at $7.25/hr.

The whole concept of him makes me want to vomit. No thank you.

Came here to say precisely this. Actually, I already vomited when I saw the thread

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

But if we dumped Jake or JVR and their long term bloated contracts then Kovys contract would be a wash and for less years. At least having a floater that can score is better than having two that just float period.

1) Where would we magically dump said contracts that we seem incapable of doing now?

2)  Why would signing Dipshit the Russian Asshole make this any easier or harder that we couldn't just dump one of them without signing him?

I have no problem with the dump Jake/JVR part of it.  What I don't get is how they're related in any way to whether or not we sign the screaming orgasmic puss.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 1

There are limited teams that can afford the cap room--especially in the case of Jake, though both are limiting.

Just on the "dump" side, LA ironically enough is one of the teams that could maybe manage it short term..   Taffoli coming back would be good and it would make Jake or JVR fit for them.   ( It's fair to note that  @OccamsRazor mentioned Taffoli some time ago, and I was negative about it,  It's not a bad idea, actually).

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

1) Where would we magically dump said contracts that we seem incapable of doing now?

2)  Why would signing Dipshit the Russian Asshole make this any easier or harder that we couldn't just dump one of them without signing him?

I have no problem with the dump Jake/JVR part of it.  What I don't get is how they're related in any way to whether or not we sign the screaming orgasmic puss.

If all else fails in dumping our overpriced stiffs, maybe LA does a deal with us and we give up JVR or Jake for Kovlachuk. Even if it ends up being an Umberger move, we knock off a number of years from paying a big contract. Kovlachuck has several years less  in his contract.  Kovlachuck might be a douche and you might hate him, but its safe to say Jake and JVR are not fan favorites.  but at least  Kovlachuk is a finisher. Would you rather see the goofy bastards JVR and Jake for 5 more years or Kovlachuk for 2 years. 

18 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If all else fails in dumping our overpriced stiffs, maybe LA does a deal with us and we give up JVR or Jake for Kovlachuk. Even if it ends up being an Umberger move, we knock off a number of years from paying a big contract. Kovlachuck has several years less  in his contract.  Kovlachuck might be a douche and you might hate him, but its safe to say Jake and JVR are not fan favorites.  but at least  Kovlachuk is a finisher. Would you rather see the goofy bastards JVR and Jake for 5 more years or Kovlachuk for 2 years. 

I'll take Jake and JVR for 10 years over 20 minutes with Kovalchuk, to be quite honest.   And he's not a finisher anymore.  He's nothing. He's a floating, selfish, worthless skunk.  I swear to God, I'd change team loyalty.   I didn't want him back in the NHL, let alone on the Flyers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'll take Jake and JVR for 10 years over 20 minutes with Kovalchuk, to be quite honest. 

Whilst this could be taken as a compliment to JVR, it's actually not, which is where the real horror lies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Kovalchuk WAS a finisher.

He's got 3 goals in 17 games. Jake has 6 in 33. Pretty much a wash.

Kovy is 36. Jake is 30.

Jake is a 9-year Flyer. Kovy is a paycheck chaser, recently waived by one of the worst teams in the NHL.

I can get behind the argument to move Jake at some point (expansion, future-looking trade) but this is not that point.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Whilst this could be taken as a compliment to JVR, it's actually not, which is where the real horror lies. 

Exactamundo.

Yeah, Please don't interpret this as any kind of intended compliment of JVR.

Saying the guy on the subway smells a little better than horse #### isn't really a compliment.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Exactamundo.

Yeah, Please don't interpret this as any kind of intended compliment of JVR.

Saying the guy on the subway smells a little better than horse #### isn't really a compliment.

It's like being the nicest guy in prison. It's not THAT much of a compliment.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I honestly never liked Kovalchuk when he was good.

I sure as hell don't like him now that he's crap.

I know he scored a hell of a lot of goals when he was younger, and that's great, but I never liked him a lot as a player. In 2002, the Oilers and Thrashers played a game, and he gave Mike Comrie two terrible slashes, including a two-hander across the legs and then jumped him. With almost half a foot in height and nearly 50 pounds on Comrie, and despite jumping Comrie and pulling his hair, Kovalchuk STILL didn't come remotely close to kicking the guy's ass.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Haha 2

Oh, and... Jeez... No. You don't want Ilya Kovalchuk. Good God, no... Even when he scored 40-50 goals, he gave it all back and then some in his own end, because the guy never cared that there were two nets on the ice. You don't want the 36-year old version of that guy, but who can't score any more.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 3

Kovalchuk? On the Flyers?
I wouldn't.
Actually, he shouldn't have been on an NHL team upon his return to North America.

He has become the Petr Klima of the modern era... that is to say, a guy who teams and some fans HOPE he still has something left, but the fact that he only plays half of the game is really showing through more than ever now because the half that he DID play, is no longer anywhere near acceptable.

And to continue the Klima comparison, way back when I was a kid, and some Lightning studio analysts were talking about what the Botls had on their roster, the phrase, "That Klima...he's a dog isn't he?" had come up on more than one occasion.
When the HOMER announcers say things like that, well, you know there are some issues.

I imagine Kovalchuk has gotten that same sort of "review" even within the LA market...and THEY were probably nice about it.
Philly media won't be. Neither will the fans.

He brings nothing at this stage of his career and even though the Flyers are hurt, beat up and generally in trouble, they need to stay the course, continue to look at the big picture and do what is best for the organization when they should REALLY be ready to compete in about another season or two.

They are not ready this year, I felt that even before the season started, and adding a Klima'esque forward to their ranks does nothing but eat up a roster spot.

• Like 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26 On a personal level, I was always glad to see that Petr Klima was able to sort out the alcohol issues that made Detroit move on from him, but he was a mostly a thoroughly frustrating player for both fan and team alike. He produced solid numbers for the time, but never really got close to what he should have been able to do. He had terrific speed and could shoot the puck (he had blinders on once he had the puck: it was going to be shot and not passed), but was also completely disinterested in doing any of the rest of the work of a hockey player. Mark Messier was finally driven to rage by Klima, and wound up grabbing him by the throat, shoving him against the wall, and told him to get his act in order.

• Like 2

@JR Ewing

My dig at Klima wasn't at all personal.
After seeing players like Robin Lehner fight with and overcome personal demons, I fully understand that what you see on the ice isn't always the entire story.

So that's just what I stuck with...what I saw on the ice and what was being said about him in the local media.

And that's why I compared Kovalchuk to him at this stage.
The version of Klima the Lightning got in the mid 90's was near the end of his career...he actually put up a decent season or two if I recall, but again, like Kovalchuk, his 'half game only' was tolerated as long as he was producing.

He was, as you know, otherwise putrid in his own end (if he could ever be found there), and once the offense dried up, so did the appeal of having him on the team.
Kovalchuk would probably see the same if he ended up in Philly...albeit with a much more rabid fanbase chomping at his heels.