Leafs Players Sorted By Defence (The "Minus" Score)

WordsOfWisdom

I wanted to post this earlier but here you go. It's a little something I've been working on over the years in my spare time. Again, it's not perfect, but it's a way to measure how good a player is defensively using only the traditional/core statistics. Have a look:

TORdefence.thumb.png.a898355e6598924f0e4748517b351532.png

EDIT: Part-timers and goalies removed from list.

The idea behind it is very simple... yet difficult for most people to understand. It's "Minus". It's the minus half of +/-. While it's not pleasing to look at, this is how many times said player was on the ice when his team was scored against... but only in those circumstances where +/- would have been affected. So allowing a goal while killing a penalty doesn't hurt you for instance. Now you see what I'm getting at with this...  :) 

So looking at the data above, Tyson Barrie is the most disappointing Leafs player defensively, and Travis Dermott is leading this group. 

One thing this doesn't consider is quality of opposition, so keep that in mind too. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

Please also ignore the goalies. Thanks.  :)  

(I had to re-post since I had a formula error earlier.)

So looking at this data, we can see that the Auston Matthews and William Nylanders of the Leafs are very weak defensive players. Until they develop a defensive game to go with the offence they provide, the Leafs are going to have a lot of trouble winning hockey games consistently.