Weber wants to stay in Nashville “if we can keep guys around”

Guest Vincent05

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/18/weber-wants-to-stay-in-nashville-if-we-can-keep-guys-around/

Predators all-star defenseman Ryan Suter remains unsigned past the end of the 2011-12 season, and if you read between the lines, whether he stays or goes will be a big determining factor in whether Predators all-star defenseman Shea Weber stays or goes.

Today, Weber spoke to NHL.com’s Dave Lozo about his future in Nashville.

“It’s a place I love to play,” said Weber. “If we can keep guys around and keep getting better, then it’s a place I want to stay.”

But that’s a big “if” considering Suter has the option to become an unrestricted free agent at the same time perennial contenders like Detroit and Philadelphia could be shopping for a cornerstone defenseman.

Weber, a pending restricted free agent, is eligible to become unrestricted at the end of next season. The 26-year-old is among the leading candidates to win the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s best defenseman. So yeah, there’d be a market for him, too.

Nashville general manager David Poile has already locked up Pekka Rinne until 2019, signing the goalie to a $49 million contract earlier this season. But if he can’t get Suter to commit and he loses Weber as a result of that, where does that leave the Preds?

Weber also told Lozo that the Predators want to talk contract now, but he’d prefer to do it once the season is over.

Just pray that Suter doesn't sign a extension or we will miss out on 2 potential great dmans.

i didn't know Rinne signed for 2 mil less the Bryzzard. with that little tidbit they can't expect to keep both weber and suter. if we go after weber as you want vince id rather do it in a trade then give up 4 1st round picks to sign him as a restricted FA

@Irishjim

Rinne is making more then Bryz yearly average salaries wise. To me I think offer sheeting him might be the better idea then trading for him. If we trade for him expect 1 young forward and 1 young dman or 2 young forwards plus maybe 2 1st round picks ( I would think same value as when we traded for Pronger). If we offer sheet him those will be low 1st round picks and might not be as good as the young guys we will give up now. Plus they would get the draft picks starting next year so we get to keep ours this year for the deep draft.

The offer sheet would likely be at the expense of Carle, Jagr and maybe 1 more player next year. As I posted in another thread, I don't think Homer will do that to Poile.

As a Wings fan, I get to see my fair share of Weber every year, gotta say, he is as perfect of a defensemen as there is in hockey today. Hope Nashville can keep him, a lot of young solid forwards breaking in, if Weber and Suter stay this team could be loaded. Of course, I think Suter is the heir apparent to Lidstrom after this year.

@yave1964

If Detroit manages to land Suter, then of course, it would be fantastic if Weber could make the move north as well. As long as they can grow more forwards in the system, they'll be alright, since signing both D-men will probably completely sap most of the bankroll they have saved up. Particularly, if they make a sizeable move at the trade deadline this season.

Philly makes great trading partners with Nashville...we can't draft defencemen if our life depended on it but are loaded at forward, they are the opposite.

Yeah, you'd think that the subject of goaltending might have come up in all these discussions with NSH. They seem to have a knack for producing goalies too. And we, er, don't.