Roenick suspended without pay for comments

yave1964

On 12/24/2019 at 12:49 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Apples and oranges. Speech is never a crime. No matter how outrageous the opinion. The actions of a rapist couldn't be any more different than Roenick's comments. 

So you want NBC to be the corporate version of Kim Jong Un?   We can't have it this way. It's destroying our freedom. The price is not a price I'm willing to pay. I'd rather live in a world where Roenick can talk about threesomes and people can have their jaws drop then to live in a world where we're all verbally "shackled", forced to remain silent out of fear. 

I don't want to have to explain to my daughters watching hockey "Daddy what did he mean by that?"

And I like Roenick and his outspoken funny comments.

But this was not something to be on TV.

Since it was on a podcast, I have no idea what the big deal is

12 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I don't want to have to explain to my daughters watching hockey "Daddy what did he mean by that?"

Oh no, back to this thread again lol.....  ;)  

The comments were not made during a game if I recall correctly. 

12 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

But this was not something to be on TV.

Since it was on a podcast, I have no idea what the big deal is

My understanding is that he went on a show and spoke openly about that stuff. It wasn't at work, there was no hockey game, and your daughter wouldn't have been watching/listening.  It's like the Howard Stern show for example. Does your daughter listen to that? Could she (in theory) listen to it? Yes. But that doesn't mean it gets banned and Howard Stern is not fired because children might accidentally stumble upon his show.   :) 

The correct action here was no action on the part of NBC. It was none of their business. If they wouldn't have done anything, this wouldn't be a story and nobody would have ever heard JR's comments except the people watching the podcast. Now they gave 1000x the free promotion and air time to JR, the podcast, and everything else by doing this. 

(It's a slow weekend and I'm snowed in today so I figured I'd return to this thread again lol...)  :) 

From what I'm hearing, most people seem to be of the opinion that:

a) Your employer can do anything they want to you, so long as you agreed to it in your employment contract. In other words, employment contracts supersede any other laws and/or basic civil rights and liberties. 

b) That free speech only exists if nobody is offended by the speech. If anyone takes offence to the speech, the speech must be erased from all media sources, the speaker must be prevented from speaking in the future, and if the speaker has a job then they must be fired immediately as retribution or somehow have their life destroyed. 

c) People are happy with the status quo and don't see any conflict of interest or any potential problems that might occur by allowing your employer to control what you say in both your professional and private life. 

:)

When you consider the "what's the harm?" argument in all of this, the worst thing that Roenick could do with his comments is put a scowl on the faces of a few listeners. That may/may not affect the viewership ratings for that show.  The people in question who Roenick mentioned by name have the legal recourse of a defamation suit to defend their reputation against untrue allegations and so on. That's why it's there. But assuming nobody got offended, that would have been the end of the story right there.

On the other hand, given how things did unfold, now we have created a culture of fear where nobody knows if they're allowed to say something any more. Now we've created a culture where you err on the side of caution, meaning you keep your mouth shut. If someone asks what you think about something, you say "I have no opinion on that" ... because that's the only thing you CAN say without being fired. Or (even worse) you have to read the media, gauge what's popular, and then follow the popular side by expressing the same opinion as everyone else. That's the "tow the line" / "group-think" route. 

I think the world loses so much more with the way things currently are.

Comments don't have to be nice or necessary, they only have to be true.

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

• 6 months later...