World Juniors 2020

hf101

Geez, slept right through Canada game...start back to work tonight...uggggh. So the Fins it is, assuming Sweden does what they usually do in non medal rds. What is it...53 regulation games in a row...but only 1 gold medal to show for it...er, um..biggest chokers of all time?

At least work is one and done. Off till Monday night after tonight! Gold medal game is on a collision course with Eagles playoff game! Why does this tourney choose to go head to head with the NFL? I love this tourney.. but no way did I use every single vacation day for Eagles games to not watch this playoff game. I love the Eagles more.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

REPORTED FOR UN-CANADIAN THOUGHT CRIMES

I felt guilty typing it...but it is the truth. Have not missed a regular season Eagles game in 15 yrs or so...missing a playoff game is unthinkable. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

At least work is one and done. Off till Monday night after tonight! Gold medal game is on a collision course with Eagles playoff game! Why does this tourney choose to go head to head with the NFL? I love this tourney.. but no way did I use every single vacation day for Eagles games to not watch this playoff game. I love the Eagles more.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

REPORTED FOR UN-CANADIAN THOUGHT CRIMES

Lol...ya, I'll take 60 minutes of action over 3 1/2 long drawn out overhyped 6 minutes of action  anytime.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's been an unusually quiet WJHC forum...the US and Russia were hyped up going into it but nobody has really taken the bull by the horns.

I noticed that...not to many USA posters this year...

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

They have a pretty good top 6 and goalie...but no depth. 

And Wahlstrom is a diving douche. 

Seems like they had defensive depth but not 4 lines like usual. Think every d man was returning except York, which explains the lack of playing time. I would expect him to be pp qb #1 next year. 

34 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I noticed that...not to many USA posters this year...

yawn...

What is there to say.  USA played well vs Canada and lost.  USA played well vs Russia and won.  USA played well vs Finland and again lost a very tight game.

Maybe they will have better luck next year.

57 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Seems like they had defensive depth but not 4 lines like usual. Think every d man was returning except York, which explains the lack of playing time. I would expect him to be pp qb #1 next year. 

Ya, I was disappointed York wasn't used much...but he IS still 18. 

57 minutes ago, hf101 said:

yawn...

What is there to say.  USA played well vs Canada and lost.  USA played well vs Russia and won.  USA played well vs Finland and again lost a very tight game.

I don't think their team is supposed to be as strong next year. But then they talked about what a powerhouse it would be this year and it wasn't. (no offence...there IS no powerhouse this year...other than Lafreniere) So what do "they" know?

Edited by flyercanuck

More good news. Our one single Wild prospect Alexander Khovanov, who was selected to participate at the World Juniors 2020, had a game winning goal in today (01/02/20) quarterfinals against a Switzerland team . Final score was 3:1.  Khovanov had a primary assist to a 3rd goal in that game too. Even Russian news mentioned him as soon as game was ended. His team moved to semifinals and is going to play against Sweden team on January 4th. Secondary assist to a 3rd goal of a quarterfinal game had a very promising prospect defenseman, signed by the Philadelphia Flyers team , Yegor Zamula. 

On 1/2/2020 at 3:23 PM, hf101 said:

yawn...

Was not really commenting on the play of USA..just noticed some of the regular posters that discuss the tourney have been missing from the start. I liked USA chances with that veteran defense..just did not work out. 

• Like 1

In 2010 World Juniors Team Russia's best players included among others Tarasenko and Kuznetsov. If Khovanov is able to be 1C in Team Russia, there's hope for him to be able to be a legit 1C for the Wild one day 4-5 years from now. Of course everyone doesn't develop as hoped, but let's keep our fingers crossed.

• Like 1

It's almost unbelievable to fathom, but the "overrated" Canadians completely blew out the very team that dispatched the Americans...and somehow, find themselves in the Gold Medal game .....again.

It must be a Christmas Miracle?!?! Or, has the earth left its' axis???

@Hockey-78

Edited by Antti_Laxative