Torts Goes off...

Brewin Flames

Torts.jpg.91fc2e7cf6c5ede0c31e5e5e5fc4cb14.jpg

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28393329/columbus-john-tortorella-assails-referees-nhl-postgame-rant

Columbus Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella ripped the game officials and the NHL in a fist-pounding tirade after a 3-2 shootout loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday.

In overtime, the Blackhawks were called for too many men on the ice with about 19 seconds left. The clock ran down 1.1 seconds after the play was whistled dead, but the time wasn't added back. Blue Jackets defenseman Zach Werenski put the puck behind Chicago goalie Robin Lehner on the ensuing power play, but the buzzer had already sounded. Had those 1.1 seconds been put back on the clock, the goal likely would have ended the game.

"So the whistle is blown at 19.2 on the clock. For some reason, the clock is run down a second and a tenth to 18.1. Whatever reason, I have no goddamn idea. So instead of resetting the clock, [they] tell our captain, 'We're not going to do it.' [The league office in] Toronto doesn't step in, refs don't do their freaking job and now we lose the game, and we lose our goalie," Tortorella said after the game.

Columbus goalie Joonas Korpisalo had to be helped from the ice after getting injured on Jonathan Toews' goal in the first round of the shootout. Elvis Merzlikins replaced him in the shootout, which Tortorella stressed that Werenski's goal would have prevented.

"So the chain of events, if it was done right," Tortorella said, striking the podium in front of him, "is that we don't lose our goalie and we win the hockey game. So all the goddamn technology, right? The technology and getting things right ... the stubbornness tonight, by the officials and by the league and Toronto, however it's supposed to goddamn work, screws us."

It was a frustrating loss on several fronts for Columbus, which blew a 2-0 lead to the Blackhawks in regulation. The silver lining is that the Blue Jackets' point streak reached 10 games, with a 6-0-4 record in that stretch. But Tortorella wasn't interested in examining the overall game after that overtime clock debacle.

"It's ridiculous. I'm not taking any goddamn questions," he said to end his news conference, storming away.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Thanks 1

I know a lot of people (especially on this board), don't like John Tortorella, and Torts himself has done things in the past to build up any cases against him, but honestly, after viewing what happened and seeing the points the coach made (how he made them is another matter), I must say I agree with him.

1.5 seconds or whatever it was may not seem like anything (and in most cases, it probably wouldn't be), but in this particular case, the way the Jackets made a last push to win the game, only to be thwarted by that miniscule amount of time that SHOULD have been reset....well, it made all the difference.

Was the mishandled clock the reason the Jackets lost their goalie? Well, not directly....but one could easily argue the goalie doesn't tweak or injure ANYTHING if that shoot out doesn't happen at that time.

As for Torts' unprofessional conduct afterwards, well, after hearing his rant, there should no surprise, NONE, if some kind of fine and/or suspension gets levied on him.
Frankly, I think Torts knows this too and right now, doesn't care about his money taken off his check, but cared more about the point he was trying to make...……..for better or worse...… like he usually does.

Overall, he may not be a model behavior coach, but I gotta side with him on this one.
NHL officials screwed this up majorly, and sadly, that has become a trend in the NHL for a few seasons now.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Overall, he may not be a model behavior coach, but I gotta side with him on this one.
NHL officials screwed this up majorly, and sadly, that has become a trend in the NHL for a few seasons now.

All the recent crap with video review and other technology has been a way for the NHL to artificially extend hockey games and generate more advertising revenue. And looking back, I believe the "loser point" system and the shootout were created for the same reason. Longer games. More ads. 

We've seen time and time again that video review and throwing technology at a problem, does not remove human error. Never has. Never will. The league did this to make money. 

• Sad 1

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26 Sorry I can't be more cheery about it lol.   :) 

Well, you stated an opinion that, frankly, seems very much the state of affairs in the NHL.
The league has done MANY things that has fans scratching their heads, coaches having aneurisms, and players wondering how this has become a PC game rather than a skilled rough n tumble physical affair like it used to be.

I am not a fan of the loser point, but that is for another time and place..... and while I LIKE technology being used, if officials are gonna screw things up this badly anyways, what other explanation is there...…...except the ol high dollar thing?

Although to be honest, not sure if money factors into what happened with the Blue Jackets and Blackhawks...……..I'm leaning towards pure incompetency here!

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, you stated an opinion that, frankly, seems very much the state of affairs in the NHL.
The league has done MANY things that has fans scratching their heads, coaches having aneurisms, and players wondering how this has become a PC game rather than a skilled rough n tumble physical affair like it used to be.

I am not a fan of the loser point, but that is for another time and place..... and while I LIKE technology being used, if officials are gonna screw things up this badly anyways, what other explanation is there...…...except the ol high dollar thing?

Although to be honest, not sure if money factors into what happened with the Blue Jackets and Blackhawks...……..I'm leaning towards pure incompetency here!

What's interesting here to me is that the referee seems to have decided on his own not to add the missing time back on.  Do referees have that authority?  If there's a discrepancy with the clock, it's easy for the time keeper to put the time back on. How could a referee overrule everyone else in this regard and just decide "nah, not important"?   I find that interesting.  :) 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What's interesting here to me is that the referee seems to have decided on his own not to add the missing time back on.  Do referees have that authority?  If there's a discrepancy with the clock, it's easy to the time keeper to put the time back on. How could a referee overrule everyone else in this regard and just decide "nah, not important"?   I find that interesting.  :) 

yea....I get the referee is supposed to be the 'lead' official....but I always thought ALL officials had a job to do and all had top jurisdiction in their particular area of responsibility.
Time keeper in this case.
Unless, of course, they had some stupid celebrity guest time keeper....in which case, no one will care what Steve Harvey thinks how much time should get put back..... :shifty: 

But seriously....its not a hard thing to do.
Whistle blown, time stops.  Easy enough.....even for a semi blonde like me.

I am also ok with a ref's judgement call, but in this case, his judgement makes TV show judges look like geniuses...

As for Torts....does he get a fine (likely), suspension ( maybe not...but if so..maybe a game?), or BOTH (ridiculous, but this IS Tortorella we are talking about here...he has his own set of punishable offenses! :bigteeth:  )

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

As for Torts....does he get a fine (likely), suspension ( maybe not...but if so..maybe a game?), or BOTH (ridiculous, but this IS Tortorella we are talking about here...he has his own set of punishable offenses! :bigteeth:  )

Maybe he gets fired because his comments reflect poorly on NBC!  :hyper:

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Unless, of course, they had some stupid celebrity guest time keeper....in which case, no one will care what Steve Harvey thinks how much time should get put back..... :shifty:

Oh wow! I smell revenue! The NHL could make a fortune with celebrity officials!  Fans would easily pay double to see Taylor Swift referee a hockey game. She could sing during play stoppages or something. The guest time keeper could even sign autographs during the game. Wow, I love it!!!  😍

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

But seriously....its not a hard thing to do.
Whistle blown, time stops.  Easy enough.....even for a semi blonde like me.

It just seems like a simple error to fix, but the ref seems to have decided that one second wasn't worth putting back on. In other words, he has an arbitrary figure in his head of how many seconds need to run down before it's worth putting it back on, and it reduced to being a judgement call on something that was absolute and easy to determine from the replay.  Even for blondes!  ;) 

10 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Torts.jpg.91fc2e7cf6c5ede0c31e5e5e5fc4cb14.jpg

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28393329/columbus-john-tortorella-assails-referees-nhl-postgame-rant

Columbus Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella ripped the game officials and the NHL in a fist-pounding tirade after a 3-2 shootout loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday.

In overtime, the Blackhawks were called for too many men on the ice with about 19 seconds left. The clock ran down 1.1 seconds after the play was whistled dead, but the time wasn't added back. Blue Jackets defenseman Zach Werenski put the puck behind Chicago goalie Robin Lehner on the ensuing power play, but the buzzer had already sounded. Had those 1.1 seconds been put back on the clock, the goal likely would have ended the game.

"So the whistle is blown at 19.2 on the clock. For some reason, the clock is run down a second and a tenth to 18.1. Whatever reason, I have no goddamn idea. So instead of resetting the clock, [they] tell our captain, 'We're not going to do it.' [The league office in] Toronto doesn't step in, refs don't do their freaking job and now we lose the game, and we lose our goalie," Tortorella said after the game.

Columbus goalie Joonas Korpisalo had to be helped from the ice after getting injured on Jonathan Toews' goal in the first round of the shootout. Elvis Merzlikins replaced him in the shootout, which Tortorella stressed that Werenski's goal would have prevented.

"So the chain of events, if it was done right," Tortorella said, striking the podium in front of him, "is that we don't lose our goalie and we win the hockey game. So all the goddamn technology, right? The technology and getting things right ... the stubbornness tonight, by the officials and by the league and Toronto, however it's supposed to goddamn work, screws us."

It was a frustrating loss on several fronts for Columbus, which blew a 2-0 lead to the Blackhawks in regulation. The silver lining is that the Blue Jackets' point streak reached 10 games, with a 6-0-4 record in that stretch. But Tortorella wasn't interested in examining the overall game after that overtime clock debacle.

"It's ridiculous. I'm not taking any goddamn questions," he said to end his news conference, storming away.

I hate Fonzie....and I'll never agree with him. So I'll just say....he's not wrong here.

• Like 1

Here is an article from nhltraderumors….. completely supporting Tortorella, but also pointing the finger at the league for not holding officials accountable for blatant screw ups.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/12/opinion-john-torterella-was-right-to.html#more

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Here is an article from nhltraderumors….. completely supporting Tortorella, but also pointing the finger at the league for not holding officials accountable for blatant screw ups.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/12/opinion-john-torterella-was-right-to.html#more

Just to play devils advocate, but do we know for a fact that the NHL does not hold officials accountable?

Just because the NHL doesn’t publicly announce that Referee A was fined X dollars for missing a call during the Dec 12 Nashville vs Dallas game doesn’t mean Referee A wasn’t reprimanded in private and received a fine. 

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Just to play devils advocate, but do we know for a fact that the NHL does not hold officials accountable?

Just because the NHL doesn’t publicly announce that Referee A was fined X dollars for missing a call during the Dec 12 Nashville vs Dallas doesn’t mean Referee A wasn’t reprimanded in private and received a fine. 

This is certainly a valid point.
It isn't something the everyman is privy to.

Doesn't help the case of the Blue Jackets (or anyone else who has fallen victim to incompetency) but valid nonetheless.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This is certainly a valid point.
It isn't something the everyman is privy to.

Doesn't help the case of the Blue Jackets (or anyone else who has fallen victim to incompetency) but valid nonetheless.

I imagine it is fairly difficult to become an NHL on ice official and that there aren’t many individuals qualified for that position. 
I expect that if their mistakes are broadcast to everyone, the NHL may find themselves short of people willing to be an on ice official.  

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I love Torts, tired of cookie cutter replies from coaches and players, glad that there are still a few players and coaches around willing to speak their mind.

For as long as I remember him, even when I was still a green NHL fan and he coached the Lightning.....he was just a guy who said whatever, for better or worse, and didn't give a rat's arse who it pissed off.

And certainly this man has pissed off his share of employers, league officials, media members, colleagues, fans, and players.

But I think one thing all those can agree on:  Torts will tell it to your face what he thinks. Seems there is very little in the way of tact and deceptiveness from this man.

It is one of the things that makes him a great "fix it" coach to a struggling and/or bumbling franchise...……...but of course, its the thing that makes him wear out his welcome too.

Like I said before though....I fully stand behind him on this rant.

• Like 2

The answer to all your questions is a simple one. Bettman. He has no integrity, he only cares about the money. He would sell his own mother for a nickel. And unfortunately, the corrupt owners continue to back him. The little turd even put himself in the hall of fame. Torts had every right to vent like he did, I wish more coaches and GMs had his passion for the game and said what needs to be said.

• Like 1

I secretly like Fonzi.

I don't mind when he flips out or does something outrageous.

His teams show up they play hard. He may be a guy that has limited shelf life, but until the sell by date rolls around, and his players burn out,  he's a good hockey coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I secretly like Fonzi.

I don't mind when he flips out or does something outrageous.

His teams show up they play hard. He may be a guy that has limited shelf life, but until the sell by date rolls around, and his players burn out,  he's a good hockey coach.

You know....I used to like you....

• Haha 1