Boldy vs Caulfield

EmptyShelf

Just checked some of the contributions from these two prospective Wild draft choices last summer.  Early returns for Boldy over Caulfield are not looking good.  Caulfield (as advertised) is one of the top goal scorers in NCAA, while Boldy cannot seem to score at all.    Caulfield wirh 12 Gs in 18 games, while Boldy has1G in 15 games.  I get that it’s early and goals are not the only barometer,but Boldy also has some skating issues and Wild need some guys with offensive talent.  In any case, the early returns don’t look promising in terms of who wanted Boldy over Caulfield in Wild FO, because many of us were lobbying for Cole Caulfield.  Sooner or later, the Wild need to make the right first round picks to get out of the group of  irrelevant and declining teams in NHL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antti_Laxative said:

Habs draft pick Cole Caufield 😀

Habs did a better job scouting than the Wild and didn’t pick the player that ‘fit their system,’ or whom they thought they ‘could develop.’  Doing what the Wild are doing (basing picks off projection) rarely works out in drafting.  If the player has a particular skill set that has transferred at every level, this is more likely to transfer to the NHL than is the projection to develop a prospect due to better measurables and hope.  Lastly, if you struggle to skate at lower levels, assuming this will change at the highest level is pretty naive.  How is the Philip Johansson pick from 2 years ago looking now?  Looks like a flushed pick based upon projection to me. Hope I am wrong about both, as this 2 years of First Rounders we desperately need to infuse some young talent. 

2 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

Just checked some of the contributions from these two prospective Wild draft choices last summer.  Early returns for Boldy over Caulfield are not looking good.  Caulfield (as advertised) is one of the top goal scorers in NCAA, while Boldy cannot seem to score at all.    Caulfield wirh 12 Gs in 18 games, while Boldy has1G in 15 games.  I get that it’s early and goals are not the only barometer,but Boldy also has some skating issues and Wild need some guys with offensive talent.  In any case, the early returns don’t look promising in terms of who wanted Boldy over Caulfield in Wild FO, because many of us were lobbying for Cole Caulfield.  Sooner or later, the Wild need to make the right first round picks to get out of the group of  irrelevant and declining teams in NHL

Thats true. Wild's current TOP5 scorers, Wild didn't draft them. Both of the goalies, Wild didn't draft them. (since they are not good, it really doesn't matter)

Two players with the worst +/- rating - Dumba -11, Kunin -14, are Wild's 1st round picks. And the 3rd worst is the guy they paid $100 mil.

When the Wild have gone this long making mediocre pick after mediocre pick, one HAS to look at the scouting and/or development people and maybe think they need to be replaced.

Every regime has their dud picks, but this franchise has been pretty consistent about either dud picks, or guys that turned out 'ok'.
While that may still be the product of WHERE the Wild pick (usually middle of the pack), it doesn't fully excuse the GM or especially the scouting staff, because there are examples all over the league of teams picking in the middle or even late first rounds, and still coming up with gems...……….and don't get me started on the teams that can find good players in later rounds than the Wild seem to find in earlier ones.

None of this excuses the GM who has final say, but the guys feeding him the intel are equally guilty, if not moreso.
I don't follow who the Wild have on their scouting teams particularly closely, but if they haven't already, that needs to get overhauled.

I've felt that way for quite some time. That way, it doesn't matter so much where the Wild pick, because they will have a crack, competent crew going above and beyond to make sure they end up with better than "ok" players.

As for Boldy, the young man still has time of course. Or some surprise player no one is paying much mind to may turn out to be better than anticipated, so I will root for those players to continue to try and improve, but at face value, I would have to agree Boldy isn't looking like any sort of sure-fire pick.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

When the Wild have gone this long making mediocre pick after mediocre pick, one HAS to look at the scouting and/or development people and maybe think they need to be replaced.

Every regime has their dud picks, but this franchise has been pretty consistent about either dud picks, or guys that turned out 'ok'.
While that may still be the product of WHERE the Wild pick (usually middle of the pack), it doesn't fully excuse the GM or especially the scouting staff, because there are examples all over the league of teams picking in the middle or even late first rounds, and still coming up with gems...……….and don't get me started on the teams that can find good players in later rounds than the Wild seem to find in earlier ones.

None of this excuses the GM who has final say, but the guys feeding him the intel are equally guilty, if not moreso.
I don't follow who the Wild have on their scouting teams particularly closely, but if they haven't already, that needs to get overhauled.

I've felt that way for quite some time. That way, it doesn't matter so much where the Wild pick, because they will have a crack, competent crew going above and beyond to make sure they end up with better than "ok" players.

As for Boldy, the young man still has time of course. Or some surprise player no one is paying much mind to may turn out to be better than anticipated, so I will root for those players to continue to try and improve, but at face value, I would have to agree Boldy isn't looking like any sort of sure-fire pick.

(shrugs)  As much as I'd like to schitt on Paul Fenton, his later picks have looked pretty good thus far.  The 1st rounders, a schitt show to be sure.  Boldy looks like a garbage pick; a player who had inflated totals playing a team full of studs on the USNDT.  Now he can't buy a goal.  Caufield was not exactly killing it at the WJC's but he still is looking a lot better for the Badgers than Boldy is for Boston College.  Not sure why this really needed a new thread since this has been discussed exhaustively in the prospect thread already.