Flyers at the halfway mark

brelic

20 hours ago, brelic said:

Nashville, Isles and Vegas have great coaching.

NSH just hired Hynes. They fired Lavy yesterday. I agree on the Isles and Knights though, that to me is hugely a coaching thing.

It's telling how good Trots seems to be wherever he goes, not to mention how different all of his teams have been really. He seems to be very good at tailoring his game plan to whatever strengths his team happens to have at a given time. That kind of flexibility is tremendous. Rather than try to find players that fit the coach's style, he just seems to find a way to make it work with whatever tools he has at his disposal. That would seem such a tremendously useful skill in a coach.

I think the Flyers' coaching is on even ground with those teams. 

I'm going to want to see more success before I say that. Much to your point, Vegas and the Isles are possibly the two best coached teams in the league right now. We definitely have a more experienced coaching staff than pretty much anyone, which isn't nothing. Without results though, it's hard to say they're on par with the best.

has the potential to be among the top 10 league-wide at some point

I won't lie -- I'm sort of getting tired of this refrain at this point. Again, it's possible, but I'm sort of in the wait and see camp now. I worry this is our fan bias showing across the board. Sure, Provo is doing well, but Sanheim has yet to figure out the physical game, which at this point is getting worrisome to me, Ghost seems to not be is clearly not the guy we hoped he would after his rookie season, and Myers is still too green to tell. Sure, Niskanen helps, but he's not going to be around forever either.

At the same time, every year Voracek and Ghost remain on the team their value diminishes. For Ghost, I imagine things are at a pretty low point now. For Voracek, he's just digging himself a deeper hole every time he hits the ice.

And that's all without talking about Giroux. It may be about the right time to start talking about trading him as well, while he would still fetch a substantial return. I'm not saying do it just yet, but I might by the off season... We slept on Simmonds and lost. We slept on Ghost and will now lose. We're sleeping on Voracek and will at least be getting less than we could have.

When does Giroux get added to the list? I think missing the playoffs this season again probably pencils him in at the very least, and this is coming from a guy who has always liked Giroux (and I still do!). I'm just being realistic here, which is something that has been a challenge for this team for a while now.

I really don't mean to be super negative here. I'm just at a point where I'm worried we may very well have been overvaluing our prospect pool and undervaluing the importance of true top-level talent in the modern NHL. The process has been in action for quite some time. Sure, each year brings a shiny new toy, but a number of them seem to be taking their sweet ol time showing their lustre (if they ever do), which only leads to more gaping holes as the Giroux of the world become less impactful on the ice.

Do we need a Lafreniere to become relevant? We just might.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

22 hours ago, elmatus said:

NSH just hired Hynes. They fired Lavy yesterday. I agree on the Isles and Knights though, that to me is hugely a coaching thing.

It's telling how good Trots seems to be wherever he goes, not to mention how different all of his teams have been really. He seems to be very good at tailoring his game plan to whatever strengths his team happens to have at a given time. That kind of flexibility is tremendous. Rather than try to find players that fit the coach's style, he just seems to find a way to make it work with whatever tools he has at his disposal. That would seem such a tremendously useful skill in a coach.

I'm going to want to see more success before I say that. Much to your point, Vegas and the Isles are possibly the two best coached teams in the league right now. We definitely have a more experienced coaching staff than pretty much anyone, which isn't nothing. Without results though, it's hard to say they're on par with the best.

I won't lie -- I'm sort of getting tired of this refrain at this point. Again, it's possible, but I'm sort of in the wait and see camp now. I worry this is our fan bias showing across the board. Sure, Provo is doing well, but Sanheim has yet to figure out the physical game, which at this point is getting worrisome to me, Ghost seems to not be is clearly not the guy we hoped he would after his rookie season, and Myers is still too green to tell. Sure, Niskanen helps, but he's not going to be around forever either.

At the same time, every year Voracek and Ghost remain on the team their value diminishes. For Ghost, I imagine things are at a pretty low point now. For Voracek, he's just digging himself a deeper hole every time he hits the ice.

And that's all without talking about Giroux. It may be about the right time to start talking about trading him as well, while he would still fetch a substantial return. I'm not saying do it just yet, but I might by the off season... We slept on Simmonds and lost. We slept on Ghost and will now lose. We're sleeping on Voracek and will at least be getting less than we could have.

When does Giroux get added to the list? I think missing the playoffs this season again probably pencils him in at the very least, and this is coming from a guy who has always liked Giroux (and I still do!). I'm just being realistic here, which is something that has been a challenge for this team for a while now.

I really don't mean to be super negative here. I'm just at a point where I'm worried we may very well have been overvaluing our prospect pool and undervaluing the importance of true top-level talent in the modern NHL. The process has been in action for quite some time. Sure, each year brings a shiny new toy, but a number of them seem to be taking their sweet ol time showing their lustre (if they ever do), which only leads to more gaping holes as the Giroux of the world become less impactful on the ice.

Do we need a Lafreniere to become relevant? We just might.

it's not being negative it's being realistic and looking at the big picture, this team is not very good, the prospects either they are not good or not ready, the plan for next year is that we need a great goalie and keep hart on this team, we have to trade giroux, jake, maybe ghost so can have cap space to fix this team and fill the holes on offense and defense with reasonble depth players. st.louis won without stars and alot of depth players, that's the way to rebuild this team. cant rely on prospects, they are hurting us right now.

only play them if you have to if someone is injuried but playing them for the sake of it is a bad idea, that's why we are struggling.

Im not trading Giroux. Not unless there is absolutely no way to move Jake or JVR. And with the expansion coming, at least one will go

The team needs a make over upfront and you can do it without dealing the captain, who is still a really good player, but also a top face off guy. Move the two guys I mentioned and/or Ghost, move in the right players for AV's system, and bring up the young players who are supposed to be the future

I was talking more about the success they've had in the past, AV in particular. He's got a pretty solid track record of success.

Can't really judge his Flyers gig yet.

I'm looking more down the road. York, Zamula, possibly Friedman and Ginning. We've got some great potential in the pipeline and in the NHL. 

Provo is a top pairing defenseman. He's 23.

Sanheim leads 5v5 scoring among our D. I find his game to be pretty vanilla and timid, but he's still effective. He's 23.

Myers is very uneven. He was not good last night. But he has 12 points in 25 games playing on bottom/middle pairing with no PP time. He flat out-hustled that Canes punk on the breakaway and poked the puck away from him. He can hit and has a mean streak. He's also 23.

Ghost is actually playing well - he just isn't scoring. His metrics are decent or better than most of the blueline while being on the 3rd pairing with mostly Hagg, Braun, or sometimes Myers. Of all our defensemen, I feel he is the most mentally fragile, but at the same time, I think the RHD/LHD configuration under AV is not doing him any favours either. He'll be stuck on the 3rd pairing until something changes. He's 26.

Niskanen (33) is here for another year and I thought he's looked great. But after next season, I doubt he would be retained. 

Braun (32) is likely gone after the season.

Hagg is not good by any metric, really. He's a perfect 7th moving forward unless you can find someone better and cheaper who is also willing to ride the pine for most of the season. He's 24.

All that to say that as Provy, Sanheim, and Myers mature (and hopefully Ghost, if he doesn't get traded) and enter their prime - which is still a few years away - they'll be in a great position to complement and mentor guys like York, Zamula, Friedman. 

I think D will be a team strength for a decade. It's not there yet. 

Goaltending is different. Hart is having a very up and down season, and it could be that way for several years. Took Price until 23 to have a break out year, then after a few down years, at 26 he stabilized his game. Though it only lasted 4 years. The more I look at it, the more we should hope Hart's career is more like Lundqvist than Price in terms of consistency.

So, Hart is just not good enough so far this year, and Elliott isn't either. After this season, do you resign Elliott? If not, who's the backup? 

Sandstrom is pitching a 3.76, .876 in the ECHL. 

Ustimenko is at 2.75, .906 in the ECHL. 

Those two are the closest prospects we have to being ready - they're already in North America and playing in the organization.

Honestly, it might be fair to give Lyon another look. At 27 and now a fourth year pro, who knows?

The truth is, since losing Lindblom, having no news or hope on Patrick returning, sending Frost back to LHV, I've kind of lost interest in watching. The bottom six is a mess, goaltending is costing us games, the defense looks confused half the time ( there were THREE Flyers chasing down Svechnikov last night, leaving the front of the net completely open for the Canes player - I think it was on the play where Elliott got his noggin hit).

They don't look cohesive, and blew an opportunity against three terrible West coast teams to secure their place in the standings. Over the past 5 years, the Flyers are 3-17-4 on the post-Christmas Western swing. 

So, in conclusion, it's Disney On Ice's fault.