Predators relieve Peter Laviolette of coaching duties

IllaZilla

This firing truly feels like one where the underperforming players cost their coach his job.

High expectations for the Predators, losing a high profile game (in a Dallas comeback fashion) against a division rival, and hanging around the standings with Chicago and Minnesota will do that though.

Without really knowing all the behind the scenes details, seems to me it wasn't a case of "bad coaching".... Laviolette seemed to coach the way he always had..... but the players themselves just weren't executing.

Goalies, defensemen, poor production from forwards, throw in injuries in there....all seem to conspire to behead Laviolette.

As the old saying goes... easier to fire one guy (or two guys in this case, as the assistant was shown the Zamboni door as well) than 25.

Maybe this is Poile's way of shaking things up?

I also find it ironic that the OP article linked and one on NHL  .  com, have upper management with nothing but praise for Laviolette, his wife and his whole family for contributions to the Preds as an organization.

Yes, I know...this is a results driven business, and Nashville wasn't really getting the ones they were expecting, but still....
"Peter and his wife have done so much for our organization and the community.....but now you have to go on the unemployment line"

For the sake of whatever interim they put in there, let's see if the players are shamed enough to raise their game....knowing Laviolette needn't have been fired if they had played like the expected playoff team they are supposed to be.

19 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Neither did I considering Poile said a week ago he wasn't going to fire him

Maybe its just me, but I've come to expect, in the sports business, when a GM or owner goes out of their way to say their couch (or GM) is safe....usually means he ISN'T... :shifty:

When I am angry about something...I tell my husband "everything is fine"..... uh huh.... he follows sports....he knows the deal. :bigteeth: 

• Like 1

Intriguing.  Kind of wondered when the shoe was going to drop.  They kind of took a small step back last season and this year they've really been struggling .  The team felt it made some decent moves to keep them competitive and strong.  The Granlund trade isn't looking so hot.  Goaltending has been rough this year too.  I don't think it was anything that Laviolette did, but he also wasn't able to do much of anything to get them out of their rut either.  

Duchene doesn't seem to be difference maker, the record for multiple franchises seem to indicate that pretty well and now he's there guy for quite a while.  It will be interesting to see if Poile starts selling off pieces if an interim coach can't right the ship.  

• Good Post 1

Very unexpected. Team made some slow but gradual progress; they are a 2nd team after Avalanche in our Division were able to place most goals in opposite net. And also they played less games(total 41 games) than other teams in our Division and having a chance to pass the Wild and Jets teams in standings.And the coach total records are very good too with this team(248-143-60).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Very unexpected. Team made some slow but gradual progress; they are a 2nd team after Avalanche in our Division were able to place most goals in opposite net. And also they played less games(total 41 games) than other teams in our Division and having a chance to pass the Wild and Jets teams in standings.And the coach total records are very good too with this team(248-143-60).

"Slow but gradual progress".... it wasn't bad, but just not good enough for an expected SC contender.
Really...I feel the players should be ashamed of themselves here.

Or, I wonder if NOT having a guy on the back end like Subban hurt them more than people realized at first.
Sure, Subban hasn't done jack in New Jersey, but perhaps that trade hurt both the team and player.
Subban was part of a very, very good top 4 defense core in Nashville, then was expected to be a savior in NJ.

And that solid top 4 helped out the goalies....well, you know, an entire chain reaction of unfortunate events for Nashville.

And Laviolette, good a coach as he can be, paid the price.

12 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Is it just me, or when someone comes out and says they're not going to fire him...they often do exactly that a few days or a week later.  

Even Jason Garrett had Jerry Jones blessing....for 10 years, until he didn't....lol

Predators fire coach Peter Laviolette

Peter Laviolette is out as head coach of the Nashville Predators.

The team announced on Monday evening that it has fired their long-time coach just one day after a tough shootout loss in Anaheim.

It also comes less than a week after general manager David Poile said a coaching change was not in his immediate plans. The Predators have yet to announce a replacement. They play tomorrow against the Boston Bruins.

Along with Laviolette, the Predators also fired associate coach Kevin McCarthy.

“Under the leadership of Peter and Kevin, our organization reached unprecedented heights – from our franchise-altering run to the Stanley Cup Final to a Presidents’ Trophy and our first two Central Division titles,” Poile said in a statement released by the team.

“Their passion for the game, ability to motivate a team and drive to be the best makes this a difficult decision. On behalf of the entire organization, I would like to thank Peter and Kevin for all their contributions to the Nashville Predators over the past five-and-a-half seasons.”

Laviolette has been with the Predators since the start of the 2014-15 season. They made the playoffs in each of his first five years with the team, winning a Presidents’ Trophy, two division titles, and the 2016-17 Western Conference. They lost the Stanley Cup Final that year to the Pittsburgh Penguins in six games. The Predators were the third different team he coached to the Stanley Cup Final, joining the Carolina Hurricanes (winners in 2005-06) and Philadelphia Flyers (lost to Chicago Blackhawks in 2009-10).

The Predators were 248-143-60 during his time with the team.

He is one of just two head coaches in the Predators’ 21-year existence (Barry Trotz is the other).

The firing comes after a disappointing first half that has the Predators on the outside of the Western Conference playoff picture. Entering the week they are four points back of the Calgary Flames for the second wild card spot, but do still have the luxury of having four games in hand.

It has been a weird season for the Predators because for as frustrating as it has been, there are still signs they can get back on track. Their 5-on-5 play has been very strong this season, but their special teams and goaltending have both been lousy. Those two factors have sunk them in the standings. If Pekka Rinne and Juuse Saros can get back on track (which should improve the PK) things could turn around very quickly for this team in the second half. That is a big if, though.

As i went back and RE Read this article i just find it completly fu*ked that a man who has coached 3 different teams to the SCF and won one of them, highly praised by upper management was canned without any indication that it was coming...

16 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

If Pekka Rinne and Juuse Saros can get back on track (which should improve the PK) things could turn around very quickly for this team in the second half. That is a big if, though.

If the 37 year old goalie who has jumped the shark and  the kid who may not actually be an NHL starter can get back on track...That is a big miracle, though.

I really don't think this team is as good as Poile wants to believe.  I've been waiting several years now, expecting the wheels to fall off Rinne.  This was always more about age than ability for me, but I thought it was a matter of time.  I would have thought two years ago, so kuddos to him for making it this long.  But he's not the goalie he was.    As a fantasy hockey player, I've watched for several seasons as team managers draft Saros with the same expectation and the thought that Saros would be terrific once given the reigns.   I thought so, too.  I have seen nothing, however, to justify that belief.

As for player moves, Johansen is one of the more frustrating players in hockey.  He's not horrible.  He's okay.  He's no team leader.  He's a bus passenger.    I do not like Duchene.   I wouldn't want him on my team for $7.25/hr.    There is simply something wrong with the dude.  Teams get worse when he arrives and instantly better when he leaves.  I will  never understand why a general manager has to spend $8M/7yrs. to prove track record.

Forsberg has been hurt off an on and not particularly good when healthy.   Arvidsson has been hurt.   I'm not a fan of Subban, but they opened a huge veteran leadership hole on the defense when they traded him.

From where I sit, the general manager's biggest problem may be the general manager, not the coach.

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Johansen is one of the more frustrating players in hockey.  He's not horrible.  He's okay.  He's no team leader.  He's a bus passenger.    I do not like Duchene. 

Yeah, I would not build a team around those two guys. Johansen in particular must be a polarizing figure in the room. I imagine more than half his teammates can't stand him never mind want to give their left nut for him on the ice every night.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

Strange team in Nashville, a lot of talent but a poor power play for no reason that I can see. Maybe Lavy was the problem and a change will do them good, though I doubt it. Rinne is aging, Saros is okay but overrated, without a goalie standing on his head nightly this team doesn't win and anymore that is no longer a given no matter who is behind the bench.

But like I said, it is easy to see how they can blame the coach, with forwards like Duchene, Johansen, Forsberg and Arvidsson and offensive blueliners like Josi and Ellis this team should be much more potent on special teams. Hynes may solve the problem.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I've been waiting several years now, expecting the wheels to fall off Rinne.  This was always more about age than ability for me, but I thought it was a matter of time

This is called going Kiprusoff the ledge.

:thumbsu:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hatrik98 said:

Great coach. Unfortunately coaches usually are taking the fall. I blame some of the players for this one. Now let us see who Poile unleashes before deadline day. Any candidates?

The problem:

Arvidsson and Forsberg likely aren't goinganywhere same with Josi. Probably Ellis as well. Rinne has a year left and is an institution.

Turris, Duchene and Johansen have unmovable contracts. 

so that leaves Craig Smith who is almost certainly gone,  and Mikael Granlund. Both will be elsewhere by seasons end but neither will fetch a return to speak of. Essentially they are an aging team with too many players on long term deals that cannot be moved.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t put it past Poile for possibly trading Arvy or Turris. Arvy’s contract is running 4.25 and Turris is at 6/ yr. For a 3rd line center, it’s a bit high and Arvys is a bit lengthy but I could see Poile finding away. I don’t see him dumping Smith. He has been a consistent player and guy the locker room needs right now. I think it’ll be something the fans aren’t expecting.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

The problem:

Arvidsson and Forsberg likely aren't goinganywhere same with Josi. Probably Ellis as well. Rinne has a year left and is an institution.

Turris, Duchene and Johansen have unmovable contracts. 

so that leaves Craig Smith who is almost certainly gone,  and Mikael Granlund. Both will be elsewhere by seasons end but neither will fetch a return to speak of. Essentially they are an aging team with too many players on long term deals that cannot be moved.

Sounds exactly like the Wild...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1