John Hynes is the new coach of the Preds

Predators name John Hynes new head coach

•  

John Hynes will be the next head coach of the Predators, replacing Peter Laviolette, who was fired on Monday.

The 44-year-old Hynes spent the last four-and-a-half seasons behind the Devils’ bench, leading them to the playoffs once. He compiled 150-159-45 record and was fired on Dec. 3 following a 9-13-4 start. He’s now only the third head coach in Predators franchise history.

“John Hynes is bright young coach and great leader who has a track record of both effectively developing young players and successfully motivating veterans,” said Predators GM Davie Poile in a statement. “We love his coaching resume and are confident that he has learned from every stop during his career, and has the best skill set to get the maximum potential out of our team.”

“This is a tremendous opportunity to join an organization with a history of success, a team with immense talent and a phenomenal fanbase,” said Hynes. “This organization has a strong foundation, from its ownership and executives to the entire front-office staff, and I’m excited to come in and try to maximize this team’s abilities.”

Hynes takes over a Predators team that has lost four of their last five, including the Winter Classic collapse. Nashville sits five points out of a Western Conference wild card spot as they host the Bruins Tuesday night.

This is a prime chance for Hynes to lead a turnaround of a team that is performing well despite the results. The Predators have posted positive possession and expected goals numbers (52% Fenwick, 52% xGF, per Natural Stat Trick) and are averaging 3.44 goals per game. What’s been dogging them is poor special teams — 16.8% power play, 74% penalty kill — and goaltending (.916 even strength save percentage).

Better goaltending from Pekka Rinne and Juuse Saros would be the start of a big turnaround that Poile believes can come from his team.

Every struggling NHL team that fires a head coach midseason is hoping to mimic the Blues from a year ago. Poile bolstered his roster over the summer in hopes of making another run at the Stanley Cup after falling short in 2017. There are 41 games left in their regular season, which means plenty of time to climb out of their hole and fix what’s been ailing them this season.

“John Hynes is bright young coach and great leader who has a track record of both effectively developing young players and successfully motivating veterans,” said Predators GM Davie Poile in a statement. “We love his coaching resume and are confident that he has learned from every stop during his career, and has the best skill set to get the maximum potential out of our team.”

Wtf...if this were true his "track record" would be a helluva lot better.

This move leaves me shaking my head.

• Like 1

I like the signing quite a lot. Hynes did a hell of a job his first year in Jersey getting a bad Devils team to the postseason, I have a hard time faulting him for the devils regression when the coach thought the answer to the teams woes were over the hill overrated players such as Simmonds and Subban. He did more with less his first year with the Devils than most coaches could have and IMHO deserved a second chance on the carousel. 

Good Lord. 

This just in:  the problem in Nashville is the GM. 

I get what @yave1964is saying, but I'm not buying the glass half full on Hines. Though, I have to acknowledge that he had no control over the senior citizens brought in there and the disaster in goal imposed upon him.   And little he could have done with the cancer that refused to play (Hall).

I don't think Hines is a terrible choice, I guess.  I just don't think he's better than Lavvy, and I don't know that he's good enough to overcome the "handiwork" of the GM. 

43 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Good Lord. 

This just in:  the problem in Nashville is the GM. 

I get what @yave1964is saying, but I'm not buying the glass half full on Hines. Though, I have to acknowledge that he had no control over the senior citizens brought in there and the disaster in goal imposed upon him.   And little he could have done with the cancer that refused to play (Hall).

I don't think Hines is a terrible choice, I guess.  I just don't think he's better than Lavvy, and I don't know that he's good enough to overcome the "handiwork" of the GM. 

Poille has literally been in Nashville forever, he has always kept the team in playoff contention but like Holland in Detroit it is probably past time to make a change. Consider these recent moves:

WEBER FOR sUBBAN Yeah Weber has a long term deal, a wonky back and is older but Subban on his best day isn't a pimple on Weber's ass. Then he signed Subban longterm.

SUBBAN MOVED OUT FOR A DRAFT PICK TO SIGN CAREER UNDERACHEIVING DUCHENE Two wrongs dont make a right, moving Subban was nice but overpaying on a long term deal for a guy who is a solid 2C, givig him 1C money was a mistake.

TURRIS FROM THE 'LANCHE FOR SAM GIRARD Yeah I know the Preds always have D to burn but donating the small but talented Girard for malcontent and overrated Turris was a huge mistake, signing Turris to a five year deal was a bigger one.

MIKAEL GRANLUND FROM THE WILD FOR FIALA Granlund needed a change of scenery but has been rotten in Nashville.

RYAN JOHANSEN FROM THE CBJ FOR SETH JONES Johansen, the third second line center the Preds throw out there came over for Norris candidate Seth Jones. It isn't that Johansen is bad it is just a severe overpayment.

All three centers, Turris, Johnasen and Duchene as well as Subban were known as malcontents in their previous organizations.

Really since simply stealing Forsberg from the Caps for the ghost of Martin Erat Poille has a wretched trade history. Simmonds, Hartman and Boyle all came aboard last year to fix a weak forward group and all were bad fits. 

So yeah, Poille left Lavvy high and dry with an aging lineup full of middle six forwards who are playing one line further up than they should on long term no trade contracts. Lavvy deserved better but sometimes a change for change sake helps, what they were doingwasnt working, something had to give. Hynes may give them a spark but truthfully this is an organization on the way down.

• Like 1