Shesterkin promoted to Rangers .....(for now)

pilldoc

So what do the Rangers do now?  With the call up of Shesterkin ( Shestyorkin) the Rangers now have 3 netminders on the the roster. 

Shesterkin is no slouch.  He has been touted for the past 2 years now as a potential top 5 goalie when he hits the NHL.  He has been nothing short of spectacular with the Rangers AHL team in Hartford.

image.thumb.png.92c18b55298878becc887d6bc01ada0d.png

"The thing is, the timing of this maneuver is a bit curious. Henrik Lundqvist and Alexandar Georgiev remain on the roster and are in good health. Lundqvist isn’t going anywhere. Georgiev’s waivers-exempt status expired on Dec. 20, when he played the 60th game of his NHL career. And though Georgiev has been erratic over the last two weeks, while Lundqvist has hit some high notes but missed on others, the team’s goaltending is the least of its problems."

https://nypost.com/2020/01/06/rangers-headache-comes-with-igor-shesterkins-curiously-timed-promotion/

I am under no pretense that Shesterkin is all of a sudden going to get the bulk of the starts in NY.  I am sure that come next year there is a 0.000001% chance that Shesterkin remains in the AHL.  I would expect about 30-35 starts for him next year and one Lundqvist moves on he will be the starter the year after that.

So what do the Rangers do with Georgiev the rest of the year?  Do they try to move him?  There is a distinct and real possibility that Shesterkin goes back to the AHL after a few games.  He certainly did not look out of place last night earning his first career NHL win.  He certainly deserves a chance for a few games and then re-evaluate the situation. 

It kind of reminds a little bit of the Flyers situation last year when then brought up Hart. though at the time, the Flyers had multiple goalie injury issues too.  

This kid is the real deal.  Drafted at #114 in the 4th round, the Rangers may have gotten the steal of the draft. Shestyorkin has been dynamite as an AHL rookie. The recently turned 24-year-old sits top-five in all the major metrics and is looks more than ready for an NHL shot. He’s been superb at every level and appears destined to grow around the exciting young core in New York ....

11 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

How did the Rangers beat Colorado?  I mean, Colorado was up 2-0 I believe?  So much for the Avs being the team from the West.  To hell with them. No goaltending perhaps?  But losing to the Rangers after up 2-0 stinks to high heaven

Grubauer has struggled of late. See game log of Dec/Jan listed below.

image.png.f27794e9ac1e0ceece9871c683692768.png

So yeah ....goaltending has been a recent issue.  You have to factor in that the Rangers defense wanted to give a little extra in from of Shesterkin's rookie debut.  Shesterkin gave up 2 early goals which I would attribute to nerves, but then he settled down.  This kid is the real deal ......

• Like 1

A few things could be at work here. The kid has a clause in his contract that he can return to Russia if he is not in the NHL. Maybe he forced their hand? I think Georgiev is in play here. A young gun like Kapanen comes back the other way. If that is the case, you at least wanna see the kid at the NHL level before giving up your other young goalie.

11 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The kid has a clause in his contract that he can return to Russia if he is not in the NHL. Maybe he forced their hand? I think Georgiev is in play here

Yeah, I thought I read that somewhere.  It makes perfect sense. Based on how he has been playing in Hartford, it really is a no-brainer for the Rangers to give him a few games.  The kid has talent and at this point really has nothing else to prove in the AHL.  At this point in time, I absolutely agree shop Georgiev around and see what you can get.  Hence the reason I plucked Shesterkin off the FA list as fast as I could in NAHANA.  It would be foolish for me to think he will see a lot of playing time for the rest of the year, but there is absolutely no reason he couldn't get the start in 30-35 games next year as the Rangers back-up.  For that reason alone he is a Keeper for me.

The obvious thing here would be to trade Georgiev.
IDEALLY, you'd get Lundqvist to agree to waive and find him a nice home on a contender somewhere and go with the tandem of Georgiev and Shesterkin and may the best goalie claim the crease and the Rangers can further along their rebuild.

But King Henrik has stated on many occasions he wishes to be a life long Ranger and will go through a rebuild with the team if necessary, so unless the Rangers are looking to trade Shesterkin (highly unlikely), then it may be Georgiev on the move.

They could try the three headed monster thing in net, but I think it has been proven over and over that really doesn't work at the NHL level.

Georgiev has been mostly positive in his NHL tenure. Still not quite starter material, but would make an excellent student/backup on a deeper team, or even better, a team like Ottawa, New Jersey, or Detroit would LOVE to have a young promising goalie under 25 to give starts to so that he may possibly become starter material.

Putting aside that disastrous start against Edmonton and a start against Toronto before that, he has been solid, just like he was in his last outing against Vancouver. I'd give him another start or two, see if he continues to play well, then sell high on him to try and maximize his value in any return.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26