Game 44: Capitals at Flyers 1/8/2020 at 7:30pm EST Wells Fargo Center

WSH_vs_flyers-L-X-3f45b6239b.jpg.f01519757420f387d2cefffd3c2fef50.jpg

Didn't see one of these GDT posted, I happen to be watching the game tonight, so thought I'd set one up for the Flyer fans and myself to post in.
Tried to follow the title format used so often by @Howie58 to stay consistent, but of course, the interior decorator in me NEEDED to have a picture or wallpaper of some sort!  :) 

Anyways, Capitals widely considered the top team in the East right now, Flyers should be firm underdogs in this one.
Caps are riding a 3 game win streak entering tonight and winners of 6 of their last 10.....BUT, Braden Holtby has looked shaky even during this stretch of theirs. Perhaps something the Flyers can take advantage of.

Flyers are playing about .500 hockey the last 10 games (5-4-1), coming off a tough OT loss to the Canes last game out.
Now, while the team seems to be trending downward a bit, they do sport a pretty nice home record of 13-2-4, so there is that.
Travis Konecny looks as good as ever, and the whole team really can still produce at a reasonable level...… they just need to tune down what they give up.

Philadelphia can sure use a jolt though from their top guys and the PP in general.
As I said...Holtby has looked very human and Capitals' penalties being converted into Flyer goals would go a long way to help restore the confidence of the Orange n Black.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 13 Kevin Hayes - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel
18 Tyler Pitlick - 12 Michael Raffl - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 49 Joel Farabee

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 8 Robert Hägg

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, JVR, Konecny, Provorov.
Power Play 2: Aube-Kubel, Hayes, Voracek, Gostisbehere, Niskanen.

Scratches: 10 Andy Andreoff (healthy), 44 Chris Stewart (healthy), 62 Justin Braun (groin).
LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

CAPITALS

8 Alex Ovechkin - 19 Nicklas Backström - 43 Tom Wilson
13 Jakub Vrana - 92 Evgeny Kuznetsov - 77 T.J. Oshie
62 Carl Hagelin - 20 Lars Eller - 14 Richard Panik
28 Brendan Leipsic - 26 Nic Dowd - 21 Garnet Hathaway

34 Jonas Siegenthaler - 74 John Carlson
9 Dmitry Orlov - 3 Nick Jensen
6 Michal Kempny - 33 Radko Gudas

70 Braden Holtby
[30 Ilya Samsonov]

Power Play 1: Kuznetsov, Backström, Oshie, Ovechkin, Carlson
Power Play 2: Vrana, Eller, Wilson, Ovechkin, Orlov

Scratches: 29 Christian Djoos (upper body), 72 Travis Boyd (healthy).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must have missed it when I went to the kitchen, but what did Richard Panik do to earn himself a misconduct?

I was about to post that the Caps had been using the physical play extensively in the first, when I saw they had 12 PIMs but yet the Flyers only had the one PP.

I realize CokeNetsov is a good skater, but no way he should have been allowed to carry the puck from his own end and to take a pretty good shot from the lower circles on Hart.

Flyers need to start either taking the body better, or be accurate with the stick checks.

and now some rough stuff...

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I realize CokeNetsov is a good skater, but no way he should have been allowed to carry the puck from his own end and to take a pretty good shot from the lower circles on Hart.

Flyers need to start either taking the body better, or be accurate with the poke checks.

and now some rough stuff...

CokeNetsov...He's the Real Thing.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

I love to say Wilson get clobbered.  

Not that I condone players taking sticks to other players faces, but ironic that Wilson is usually the one doling out questionable contact.

Tellin ya...Myers just wants to be a dentist!  :D 

elf.jpg.0f852de4c1fd801449549f46667d93ef.jpg

Man...Vorobyev with the unnecessary delay of game penalty.

Capitals to the PP.... The Fly playing with fire here.

Hart has been sharp, but you just don't wanna hand out golden opportunities like this, especially to a team like Washington.

PK has their work laid out for them.

Coots almost knocked Tom Wilson's calendar to the week of January 15th. Not a good penalty by #14, however. As I type this, Purple Hayes gives the Flyers the lead!

Edited by FD19372