Game 44: Capitals at Flyers 1/8/2020 at 7:30pm EST Wells Fargo Center

You know, I am actually a big Sean Couturier fan (I proposed a trade some seasons back for some a forward or defenseman and a pick from the Lightning for him, but Hextall never returned my call..), but he seriously needs to get ahold of his emotions.

I get hockey can be emotional, but ever since Tom Wilson got under his skin, he took a bad penalty and slamming sticks all over the place.

Cool, calm and collected is the better Coots rather than on edge, emotional, and spazzy.

Take it easy out there Sean! Do your thing and the rest falls into place!

That shift by Coots at the end of the PK...now that is what fans wanna see from him.

Calmly killed off the clock, baited Wilson into a check, made him mostly miss, puck deep, get the line change, Caps PP over, Wilson was left with nothing but mumbling under his breath.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

This is the best game the Flyers have played in weeks.

By far!  Once again a good atmosphere in the building.  If I knew for sure they would continue to play this well at home next year I would definitely renew my season tickets as the last few games have been fun but this team is so inconsistent that I’m still on the fence.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

By far!  Once again a good atmosphere in the building.  If I knew for sure they would continue to play this well at home next year I would definitely renew my season tickets as the last few games have been fun but this team is so inconsistent that I’m still on the fence.

As long as you don't have to watch their roadshow, you're good!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

Nice win against a top team. Saw most of the game after the Jeopardy GOAT tourney.

The Hayes shorthander was a thing of beauty. Played perfectly.

I missed most of it (was tending to the sheep), but saw the Hayes play. Looks like Hart was good. What about the rest?

9 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Kubel is really in on the offense, he knows exactly where to go and get open.

im getting the feeling that giroux, jake, and jvr are slowing down , everytime they are in ice, they look like they are gliding on the ice, not even skating hard, i dont know what the issue is.

44 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

im getting the feeling that giroux, jake, and jvr are slowing down , everytime they are in ice, they look like they are gliding on the ice, not even skating hard, i dont know what the issue is.

They got paid.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I missed most of it (was tending to the sheep), but saw the Hayes play. Looks like Hart was good. What about the rest?

good game. they played with urgency. there was some much missed emotion. i don't see the flyers being able able to win  consistently against physical teams. They have no answer for it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tucson83 said:

We are at the crossroads with this team, we do have some young skilled players who are not quite ready to be consistent contributors. We also have three highly paid vets JVR, Jake and G., and all three are beginning the downturn of their careers.  In reality JVR and Jake will be hard to trade , so our only hope is that one of them are claimed in the expansion draft. Giroux is about the only guy we can get some good assets for. The biggest problem is we really dont have anyone ready who is going to provide the offense we lose, if we dump any of the big three . We can hold on to them, watch their output continue to diminish over the years and continue to be an average team, and be in cap hell  or unload them. .

If we unload them, the team surely will be setback for a couple of years until Frost, Farabee, etc and whoever else we get ,become top players. Guys like Patrick and Rubstov should already be contributing at this point but injuries have set them back . As someone else mentioned we are going to have to either be horrible for a few years and land a lottery pick or get extremely lucky in the draft just to get another guy like Giroux. I think maybe Montreal or Ottawa might be teams interested in Giroux, the question is what do they have to offer. If we make the right moves in trading... say G and Ghost, that should be 3 or 4 players and a pick coming our way . I think we have a larger number of potential NHL dmen in system than we do skilled forwards, so thats why trading Ghost is a possibility. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Podein25 said:

At the very least they didn't look totally outclassed by the Caps.

I'm not sure which one's Jekyll and which one's Hyde, but they're a different team at home than on the road...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

If we unload them, the team surely will be setback for a couple of years until Frost, Farabee, etc and whoever else we get ,become top players

Solid post. I would add that we may not have a player currently in the system to replace a guy like Giroux. Frost and Farabee are nice to have around, but their ceiling may just be some sort top to mid-six players. I say "just", as if that's not quite a bit already. I'm wary of putting too much stock on these guys though.

But to ask either of those guys to have a few 90-100pt seasons is asking a lot. I'd love to see it happen certainly, but that's a lot. This leads us to the problem you noted that, while I have no qualms at all about getting rid of JVR and Voracek, and I'm warming to the idea that we might be better off moving Giroux while we can still get a big return for the guy, losing that much production would definitely set the team back. We'd be looking at some down years almost certainly.

That said, it's entirely possible that's exactly what this franchise needs.

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

. The biggest problem is we really dont have anyone ready who is going to provide the offense we lose, if we dump any of the big three . We can hold on to them, watch their output continue to diminish over the years and continue to be an average team, and be in cap hell  or unload them. .

There is good logic in this post, but I'd like to ask the question, isn't that the point to keeping guys like G and V on the roster ?

As they "slow down" the new guys step into the larger role on the team. I think having G on the third line as a penalty killer/FO guy means the young guys are working out. I feel strongly that a team with that guy in a secondary role would be really good.

As it is it's looking like Giroux if he keeps his current pace will contribute 55 points (not what you want from that aav) and Voracek will chip in with 59, that's not nothing. As the young guys filter into the league and up the line up those numbers become scoring depth. there is continuity and turnover at hopefully a high level without needing the hard reset and hoping for some luck with the picks. 

That hasn't been kind of late with JvR and Patrick (health) when the opportunity to pick high does "work out". 

I  also think there is a tendency to rush to judgement on some guys who are not mature physically or mentally.

In the age of the salary cap isn't there a little bit of "wait and see" about the young players?  Guys haven't been available due to injury or in some cases don't appear to be able to keep their skill at NHL speed ( Vorobyev) not everyone works out.  I think the team needs to see what they have, I hated seeing Patrick Sharp and Justin Williams play great for other teams after they were traded out.

I don't think blowing it up and dealing 2 of the top 4 scorers on the team makes the team better and more watchable unless it's some kind of amazeballs blockbuster.  I don't have the creativity to come up with a scenario that makes a lot of sense or the team better.