Game 44: Capitals at Flyers 1/8/2020 at 7:30pm EST Wells Fargo Center

@mojo1917  as far as whether to keep Giroux and the other guys. Sure Jake and G are putting  up decent numbers right now, but that will continue to decline and we have like 25 million tied up in three guys . We also just gave a huge contract to Hayes. That four huge contracts, Coots is gonna be looking for a large increase, where is the $ coming from? We have no cap $$ right now. 

As Farabee and Frost ,etc improve, Jake, G and JVR continue to decline, so its a wash. Somebody's gotta go,  even if its strictly for cap reasons. I cant see anyone wanting JVR or Jake at their age and contracts.  So if some team is giving me a couple of high end prospects and a pick , maybe i deal G, since hes the only one we will get a return on. The team has been treading water for 10 years.

I dont see us winning a Cup with the so called core of Jake and G. So maybe its time for a bold move or we can  keep them and continue to be average until they retire. We dont have any game changers waiting in the wings. There is a strong chance Lindblom and Patrick never come back, so the quickest way to restock is to trade your best player who is aging and had 10 years and didnt win,  not blaming G totally but the G era is another failed era like the Lindros era. 

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I dont see us winning a Cup with the so called core of Jake and G.

I could one of them maybe Giroux still being around and maybe in a role in the bottom 6 by that time on a much cheaper contract.

Good thing is the Flyers have more prospects rolling in this offseason.

I can see Allison and Laczynski who will be signed sometime after their season are over after they have been seasoned in the AHL some working their way into the lineup. The only thing we don't know is when. But it is nice to have them coming.

We'll just have to remain to stay patient as these older guys are weeded out and shown the door in the process. In due time.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I could one of them maybe Giroux still being around and maybe in a role in the bottom 6 by that time on a much cheaper contract.

Good thing is the Flyers have more prospects rolling in this offseason.

I can see Allison and Laczynski who will be signed sometime after their season are over after they have been seasoned in the AHL some working their way into the lineup. The only thing we don't know is when. But it is nice to have them coming.

We'll just have to remain to stay patient as these older guys are weeded out and shown the door in the process. In due time.

If it weren’t for injuries ...Patrick, Rubstov, Allison , Laberge and Morin might all be in the NHL and helping this team right now. These guys have literally been setback two years of development . Think about this,  three first round and two second round picks all with significant injuries and games missed. Just shows you, you can never have too many prospects. Another first round pick,  Jay O Brian also lost alot of  injury time. What other team has this bad luck? 

interesting responses about prospects and  picks. for years its been, "dont trade prospects. dont trade picks. we need those to succeed." Now we are there,, the cupboard looks stocked, but the majority of picks and prospects arent working out.

maybe some established NHL players are what is needed

31 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Just shows you, you can never have too many prospects.

Exactly until they have arrived and taken a spot full time on the roster you can never count on them yet it is why you continually fill behind them.

In my opinion Sanheim and Myers haven't arrived yet soooo much more they need to get better at.

Will they can't say right now.

The good things is you have Zamula, York and Attard just to name a few on the way soon.

Know when the passing of the guard is supposed to take place is pivotal.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly until they have arrived and taken a spot full time on the roster you can never count on them yet it is why you continually fill behind them.

In my opinion Sanheim and Myers haven't arrived yet soooo much more they need to get better at.

Will they can't say right now.

The good things is you have Zamula, York and Attard just to name a few on the way soon.

Know when the passing of the guard is supposed to take place is pivotal.

Didnt we think the same thing about Ghost a few seasons ago?

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess but he was older....but really we are still waiting for him to arrive too...

We may have a better shot at waiting for Jesus to arrive at the rate things are going

One thing that I can say about guys like Frost , Farabee ,Sanheim ,Meyers, etc . They are all  highly skilled, unlike many of our draft picks in the Clarke and Holmgren era, they drafted a lot of slow lumbering muckers. Now it’s a question of our skilled players learning the mental part of the game and utilizing the skill.

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We may have a better shot at waiting for Jesus to arrive at the rate things are going

One thing that I can say about guys like Frost , Farabee ,Sanheim ,Meyers, etc . They are all  highly skilled, unlike many of our draft picks in the Clarke and Holmgren era, they drafted a lot of slow lumbering muckers. Now it’s a question of our skilled players learning the mental part of the game and utilizing the skill.

Really? The Clarke era started in the early 80's. I seem to recall some pretty dominant teams with superior talent

I would.much rather have one of those teams than this bunch of soft underachievers

51 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Really? The Clarke era started in the early 80's. I seem to recall some pretty dominant teams with superior talent

I would.much rather have one of those teams than this bunch of soft underachievers

Don’t get me wrong , I loved 70s and 80s Flyers hockey way more than today’s game. Clarke made some good trades like Leclair/ Desjardins , he had a few good draft picks,  Tocchet, Zezel, Sutter, etc but he had many first round flops like Rumble,  Seabrooke,  Boivan,  Huffman, Oullette, Downie , etc . His drafting was pretty horrible, this is a pretty big list of first round flops. Clarke failed on every first round defenseman he ever drafted and didn’t do that well in the first round at all.  We always had to trade for defense.Clarke built the team through trades more so than the draft. The old time Flyers teams won more on hard work and desire than raw skill, sure we had skill but it was the total team effort.  Today we have some highly skilled guys but they lack the killer instinct of past teams for sure.. Do you realize that almost  ever good Flyer dman in the old days was traded for.... Howe, McCrimmon, Haller,  Svoboda, Duschnse, Galley, Carkner,Desjardins, Pronger , Timonen. We never in our history had four home grown dmen with the skill level of Provo, Ghost, Meyers and Sanheim at one time. Now we just have to turn that skill into success.