Game 45: Lightning at Flyers; 1/11/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

Bolts win 10 straight.

Flyers did a good job in blocking shots, disrupting plays, and even had some real good scoring chances that were foiled by Vasy or bad luck.
Bolts took advantage on a goal by Maroon that Niskanen didn't flag down out of the air properly, and it was all the difference.

TB stays hot, but the Flyers showed why they have one of the best, if not the best home record in the league....they simply didn't give the Lightning very much to work with and played them tough.

• Like 3

There was no shame in this loss.  0-5 on PP didn't help. Friedman looked OK.  There was no lack of effort.

This stretch against tough competition will give us a read on the team's prospects for the rest of the season. 

Edited by Howie58

We lost the faceoff battle. Going 0 for 5 on PP won't win many games. Our top 6 is challenged and the bottom 6 doesn't chip in.

The more I think about this game, the more I think about the trade deadline. Playoffs or not, I think he will be pondering the next 2-3 years with this core.

I feel pretty confident that the core will change before the start of next season. The core will become coots, tk , hayes and giroux. Giroux will start moving to a more supportive role. Jvr and Jake have to go. Its way past time. I suspect ghost will go too. 

Laughton and Raffl have 2 years left on contract, but with young guys pushing, they might be pushed out

Edited by CoachX

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I feel pretty confident that the core will change before the start of next season. The core will become coots, tk , hayes and giroux. Giroux will start moving to a more supportive role. Jvr and Jake have to go. Its way past time. I suspect ghost will go too. 

Lets hope so.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Lets hope so.

My thought is, why bring in AV if all you want is him to coach the same group that has failed for years? That doesnt make sense. It says we had a good enough team but horrible coaching. We had both

I see a new approach from management. This season is a litmus test. In order to get the best out of this coach, you have to let him do his thing. His public comments suggest to me that several "key" players have set up camp in his crosshairs

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

My thought is, why bring in AV if all you want is him to coach the same group that has failed for years? That doesnt make sense. It says we had a good enough team but horrible coaching. We had both

I see a new approach from management. This season is a litmus test. In order to get the best out of this coach, you have to let him do his thing. His public comments suggest to me that several "key" players have set up camp in his crosshairs

I agree with some of this.

I really think Jake in the net front on the power play is a test.

On it's face it's a good idea, big guy really good hands, decent offensive instincts, strong on his skates, it should work.

If he buys in he could find success there., he's got more skill than JvR in that role.  If he doesn't buy in I think he's out of here. 

I don't think the team was all that great for much of the last 10 years. The last good team had Jagr, Coburn, Danny B, and Timonen, that was what, 2014 ?

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Yeah, it is sad. I thought we might have some distributed scoring. 

They kind of do, but no one is among the top 40.  I think Konecny is barely in the top 50 and Giroux is barely in the top 100 in terms of points.  Couturier and Voracek are a little higher than Giroux.  I am concerned that Giroux and Voracek don’t seem to be producing as they have in years past. Honestly, I feel like Giroux has been a bit MIA this year.  He seems to have regressed.  Same with Voracek.  The hope was that those guys would remain at or above the same level in recent years past and for the younger guys and Hayes to rise up. Instead, Konecny and Lindblom rose, but the vets have slid in terms of production.  Bit unfortunate.  

They have slid. They are getting older and the team isnt getting any better. Plus they have been coddled for several seasons. There was a time they had warrior type mentalities. Its not there anymore. Add in a new coach with high demands and they are exposed for their weaknesses.

This team will have more success than the last few seasons, but until they have a makeover, and get some hunger, we wont be going anywhere

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

They have slid. They are getting older and the team isnt getting any better. Plus they have been coddled for several seasons. There was a time they had warrior type mentalities. Its not there anymore. Add in a new coach with high demands and they are exposed for their weaknesses.

This team will have more success than the last few seasons, but until they have a makeover, and get some hunger, we wont be going anywhere

yup, you look at teams like redwings, sharks that hold on to their star players too long, they start regressing and hurting your team and you dont get nothing back from them, you are in a complete rebuild where boston, they didnt hold on to their players too long and traded them to get high value picks and now they are back in contention. the flyers cant be like the redwings and sharks or else it will be a tanking frustrating years to come, this summer it's time to retool this core and give it to courturier, tk, hayes, provy.

8 hours ago, tucson83 said:

yup, you look at teams like redwings, sharks that hold on to their star players too long, they start regressing and hurting your team and you dont get nothing back from them, you are in a complete rebuild where boston, they didnt hold on to their players too long and traded them to get high value picks and now they are back in contention. the flyers cant be like the redwings and sharks or else it will be a tanking frustrating years to come, this summer it's time to retool this core and give it to courturier, tk, hayes, provy.

Marchand is 31 Rask is 32 Krecji is 33. Bergeron is 34. Backes is 35 Chara is 42. 

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Idiot. 

I like how people video stuff like this instead of helping. They will literally watch someone drown just to get something on Youtube .

It's very sad honestly where we are today as a society where they would rather have a video of something like this than helping.

It really scares me raising an 8 year old daughter in this world and what she has to look forward too.

• Like 1

I wonder how much having a baby in the house is affecting Giroux ?

I remember being exhausted because baby girl mojo was a heads up-active baby, who to this day still thinks sleep is for suckers.

He's not producing at his usual level, I don't think 32 is old, I know the game is trending younger, but his game hasn't been Mike Richards' or Wayne Simmonds' I didn't think the drop off would be 30 pts

58 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I wonder how much having a baby in the house is affecting Giroux ?

I remember being exhausted because baby girl mojo was a heads up-active baby, who to this day still thinks sleep is for suckers.

He's not producing at his usual level, I don't think 32 is old, I know the game is trending younger, but his game hasn't been Mike Richards' or Wayne Simmonds' I didn't think the drop off would be 30 pts

Lots of players have babies. Why is Giroux the only affected?

We never run out of excuses to explain this guy.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Idiot. 

I like how people video stuff like this instead of helping. They will literally watch someone drown just to get something on Youtube .

I have always gotten a kick out of the quote, "its not worth it". It always seems to come AFTER the first punch has been thrown. Why wasnt it worth it BEFORE the fight happened? And just once, I'd like to know when it is worth it

• Like 2