Jump to content
You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

WordsOfWisdom

Is Boston "Division Title Tanking" To Face Toronto Again?

Recommended Posts

One has to wonder if the Bruins have decided to let the Lightning take the division title in order to once again face their favourite team in round one of the playoffs: the Toronto Maple Leafs. 

 

It seems like an odd move but there's a (potentially) good reason for doing it. We all know the Metro division is tougher this year. Even though one of those Metro teams (say the Flyers or Hurricanes) will slip into a wildcard spot with slightly fewer points, chances are they're a better overall team than Toronto based on the strength of their division alone.

 

So if you're the Boston Bruins, would you rather face the Flyers/Hurricanes in round one or face the Leafs (a team that was completely broken prior to the recent coaching change and a team with known weaknesses that your team is built to exploit)?  

 

Food for thought.  I think Boston may be quite happy to finish 2nd again and let the Lightning run themselves into a Metro division dark horse in the first round that does the same thing to them as last season.  :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

One has to wonder if the Bruins have decided to let the Lightning take the division title in order to once again face their favourite team in round one of the playoffs: the Toronto Maple Leafs. 

 

It seems like an odd move but there's a (potentially) good reason for doing it. We all know the Metro division is tougher this year. Even though one of those Metro teams (say the Flyers or Hurricanes) will slip into a wildcard spot with slightly fewer points, chances are they're a better overall team than Toronto based on the strength of their division alone.

 

So if you're the Boston Bruins, would you rather face the Flyers/Hurricanes in round one or face the Leafs (a team that was completely broken prior to the recent coaching change and a team with known weaknesses that your team is built to exploit)?  

 

Food for thought.  I think Boston may be quite happy to finish 2nd again and let the Lightning run themselves into a Metro division dark horse in the first round that does the same thing to them as last season.  :) 

 

 

 

The Bruins are thinking cup, not Leafs. They'll play whoever they get. You gotta go through 4 rounds so forget about selecting your opponent. 

 

 Name ONE team not named Pittsburgh that tanking has ever worked for. It sure ain't the Leafs. It sure ain't Buffalo. And it sure ain't the Oilers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 2:41 PM, flyercanuck said:

The Bruins are thinking cup, not Leafs. They'll play whoever they get. You gotta go through 4 rounds so forget about selecting your opponent. 

 

I agree, but if you can make your path to the Cup a little bit easier, why wouldn't you?   :) 

 

The whole point of finishing at the top of the standings is to get the easiest opponent in the first round, not just to get home ice advantage. If that isn't the case, then it makes sense not to finish as the top seed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL... @WordsOfWisdom , I think you are a fascinating, informative, certainly entertaining poster, but this REEKS of "fan low self esteem"!
Understandable in a way, because of the run the Leafs have had facing Boston, but still, nutty as a fruitcake! 😁

From a Lighting standpoint, I certainly HOPE Boston is thinking "tank to face the Leafs" because that would tell me that not only have they taken their focus off the goal (the Cup), but they would then be trying to manipulate the system.....and, despite the history in the playoffs between Boston and Toront, could very well blow up in their collective rat fink faces..... and I would be beside myself with glee at that point!

For the record, no, I don't think Boston is tanking to face Toronto. 
Personally, I think the Bruins are going through a bit of the adversity that every team faces at some point in the season. Till they started losing those bunches of games, they really hadn't had any hardships, especially with the rest of the division, including the Lightning, seemingly in a slumber.

Now the Leafs are playing better, the Bolts are playing better, hell, even a low rung team like Ottawa plays hard every game out, and a team like Florida is always seemingly hanging around near the top three and some nights, play like a number one team, so now there is more pressure on the Bruins as they look in the rear view.

The "Boston is tanking to play us" reminds me of some Bolts fans last season who scoffed when I said I'd rather face Pittsburgh, at a time when the Penguins looked like they may finish as the low wild card.
"No!", they ridiculed, "I want nothing to do with Pittsburgh" (because apparently, Pittsburgh, like Boston had Toronto, allegedly had our number), "I'd rather face Columbus or the Islanders", they said.
Well, we know how THAT worked out for the Bolts, don't we? :) 

 

Or going back further, some Wild fans when Minnesota always seemingly ran into Chicago who promptly eliminated them....whenever the Hawks fell on some rough patches, some fans were like, "They are trying to match up with us!".

Nutty. Fruitcakes. All.

Anyways, I did get a good chuckle out of this thread. If that was your intention, you have succeeded admirably!
As for the Leafs, hey, if they face the Lightning I certainly am hoping the Bolts grind that "other blue n white team" down to powder and toss them out to the tune of 4-0 in the series!
I know, I know...you are shocked to hear this coming from me! :ph34r: 

But if the Leafs face the Bruins, I will root Leafs all day and night, in hopes that Boston really DID try to manipulate the system, got what they wanted......but are then left to ponder "hmm...irons, drivers, or fairways?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the bruins are quietly taking to face the leafs (or a lower seed), then someone had better let david pastrnak in on the secret cause he's not listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boston just in a md season mini slump at the exact wrong time as tampa has found their game and is roaring up behind them in the standings. Clearly Boston wants to win the division to have home ice through at least two rounds, and I think they will give it their all to do so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The usually reliable tandem of Rask and Halak has turned in a few stinkers of late. All par for the course in a long season. Plus some key defensive injuries have not helped. They will come around. A real positive is the secondary scoring has been somewhat respectable...a good sign for them. 

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

LOL... @WordsOfWisdom , I think you are a fascinating, informative, certainly entertaining poster, but this REEKS of "fan low self esteem"!
Understandable in a way, because of the run the Leafs have had facing Boston, but still, nutty as a fruitcake! 😁

 

[All Leafs Fans Have Entered The Chat] 

 

lol  ;) 

 

On 1/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

From a Lighting standpoint, I certainly HOPE Boston is thinking "tank to face the Leafs" because that would tell me that not only have they taken their focus off the goal (the Cup), but they would then be trying to manipulate the system

 

Do you think the current playoff system is vulnerable to such manipulation?  🤨

(Couldn't find the "thinking face emoji".)

 

On 1/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

 

On 1/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The "Boston is tanking to play us" reminds me of some Bolts fans last season who scoffed when I said I'd rather face Pittsburgh, at a time when the Penguins looked like they may finish as the low wild card.
"No!", they ridiculed, "I want nothing to do with Pittsburgh" (because apparently, Pittsburgh, like Boston had Toronto, allegedly had our number), "I'd rather face Columbus or the Islanders", they said.
Well, we know how THAT worked out for the Bolts, don't we? :) 


Well in the case of Boston, they are built to defeat Toronto, in much the same way that the Toronto teams of the early 2000's were built to defeat Ottawa. Ottawa had skilled forwards galore but Toronto was a tougher, grittier team.... and Toronto had their number. 

 

There's a saying in boxing that "styles make fights"...... and Boston's "style" of play is not something the Leafs handle well. It's not that Toronto couldn't win against Boston, it's that Toronto is not playing to their strengths in a match up with Boston.   

 

While I don't think any team would really "tank", I think there may be more or less "motivation" let's say, to finish first overall if you know the easier opponent is in your own division.

 

(I always try to lighten the mood a bit lol.)  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 3
      Post
      The Bruins are thinking cup, not Leafs. They'll play whoever they get. You gotta go through 4 rounds so forget about selecting your opponent.     Name ONE team not named Pittsburgh that tanking has ever worked for. It sure ain't the Leafs. It sure ain't Buffalo. And it sure ain't the Oilers.
    • 1
      Post
      Boston just in a md season mini slump at the exact wrong time as tampa has found their game and is roaring up behind them in the standings. Clearly Boston wants to win the division to have home ice through at least two rounds, and I think they will give it their all to do so.
    • 1
      Post
      The usually reliable tandem of Rask and Halak has turned in a few stinkers of late. All par for the course in a long season. Plus some key defensive injuries have not helped. They will come around. A real positive is the secondary scoring has been somewhat respectable...a good sign for them. 

Game Room 1

Please enter your display name

×
×
  • Create New...