VGK fire Gallant, hire DeBoer

IllaZilla

Golden Knights fire Gerard Gallant, hire Peter DeBoer

OTTAWA — Frustrated with early-season inconsistencies, unable to yet live up to preseason expectations, the Golden Knights have fired head coach Gerard Gallant and immediately hired former San Jose Sharks coach Peter DeBoer to coach in Vegas.

Gallant, who had one year remaining on his contract in Vegas, was informed of the coaching change this morning, sources told The Athletic.

To say the change was shocking would be putting it lightly. Gallant is only a little more than one season removed from winning the Jack Adams Award after leading the expansion Golden Knights to the Stanley Cup final in 2018. He was also set to coach the Pacific Division in the NHL All-Star game on Jan. 25.

Makes me wonder if there is a "Hextall" type situation going on.

Maybe Gerard pissed off the wrong person in the C suite.

This move doesn't make much sense to me at all from a "hockey success" stand point. 

• Like 2

Just now, mojo1917 said:

Makes me wonder if there is a "Hextall" type situation going on.

Maybe Gerard pissed off the wrong person in the C suite.

This move doesn't make much sense to me at all from a "hockey success" stand point. 

Yeah, that occurred to me.

It also occurred to me that someone in the C-suite is (inexplicably) a really big fan of DeBoer or friends or something and when DeBonehead was fired in San Jose was just looking for an excuse--any excuse---to bring him in.

It's simply an astounding move to me.   

I wonder if the coaching favorite for Seattle just changed.

• Like 2

I don't get this one at all.  The Golden Knights are playing up-tempo fun hockey, they've had nothing but success.  Yes, they didn't win the Stanley Cup but got super close.  They were good last year, and they're good this year.  I agree with @IllaZilla, this reads like an Onion article to me.  Did he say or do something to just trigger a termination?  

This just seems terribly odd at a really strange time to do it.  Wasn't he supposed to be the Pacific All Star coach too?  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wasn't he supposed to be the Pacific All Star coach too?  

Yes, which just adds to the weirdness, right?

He wasn't mentioned in the MLB report on sign stealing, was he?   I mean, he didn't hold the camera or bang the can, did he?

Well now....
And the coaching carousel continues to whirl.....

Coaches fired, presumably because they weren't getting the job done or "lost the room"....but never fear, they will just be replaced with another guy that was fired from somewhere else for about the same reason.

Agree the Gallant firing was odd, but, now that I think about it, Gallant was the SAME guy, who, before ending up in Vegas, was fired, via email or text, or something like that, from the Florida Panthers, while the team was on the road, and on top of that, ownership didn't even have a car ready for him to transport to the airport, essentially leaving him on foot and/or his own devices to get around.

At the time, I called that "low class" on the part of the Panthers, but maybe there was something more to that? Gallant rubbed the wrong person the wrong way in Florida....and, errrr, did the same in Vegas??????

Who knows...all I know is, guys like Peter Laviolette needn't worry..... the NHL has definitely gone "green" with regards to coaching and he too will soon be recycled somewhere....
DeBoer, Hynes.... all "washed up" with their former teams, only to be polished off and picked up elsewhere.

As for coaches who MAY see the axe (maybe Boudreau, hell, even rumblings Jon Cooper has gone stale in TB), well, they will have a position waiting for them with another team too.... I am sure. :) 

Back to Gallant...…….maybe this was a master plan of his to get OUT of coaching in the All Star game and end up in Seattle with a new house in the great Pacific Northwest! All without being fined by the league. In that case...BRILLIANT! 

Why not?
How else can we explain how Pete DeBoer ends up coaching a better laid out team in Vegas than the one he was let go from (rival too!) in San Jose?

Apparently, San Jose and Vegas don't know SC winning coaches when they see them :ph34r: 

46 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

(maybe Boudreau, hell, even rumblings Jon Cooper has gone stale in TB), well, they will have a position waiting for them with another team too

In the specific case of Boudreau, that GM would be a bigger idiot than whomever made the decision(s) in Vegas.

34 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Perhaps, but not like idiotic decisions haven't been made already.

Oh, they have.   This just says how much I think Boudreau is an overrated over-blownup bowling pin.   No respect for him as a coach.  Did well in the AHL, but as far as I'm concerned, he's been an abject failure as an NHL coach.

Yeah, I know regular season records and all that crap.   Couldn't win in the playoffs if the opponents died in a subway accident on the way to the arena.

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Oh, they have.   This just says how much I think Boudreau is an overrated over-blownup bowling pin.   No respect for him as a coach.  Did well in the AHL, but as far as I'm concerned, he's been an abject failure as an NHL coach.

Yeah, I know regular season records and all that crap.   Couldn't win in the playoffs if the opponents died in a subway accident on the way to the arena.

Really Rux….don't mince words...tell us how you REALLY feel! 😁

Was  just listening to NHL Live on NBC and they were going on about how "Gallant let things get out of control while DeBoer went calmly about his business"
The reasoning for replacing Gallant with his rival from the Sharks?

Not sure exactly what Gallant "let get out of control", but as for DeBoer going about his business "calmly", look, the man (DeBoer) ALWAYS looks like that.
I swear he must take valiums before each and every game.... :ph34r: 

This came as a shock to me...

#1 That Gallant was fired

#2 His replacement is...wtf.

#3 Why not go get Lavi, unless they tried and were rejected...

#4 If I am the Red Wings, Stevie Y must be creaming himself with Gallant, and Lavi, even dare I say Babcock out there unemployed while Blashill is coaching them into the ground.

• Like 1

Ladies and Gentleman, the next coach of the Detroit Red Wings......Gerard Gallant.

An absolute stunner, second time he was relieved of duties in the NHL in a strange way. Gallant can flat out coach, not sure what the Hell they were thinking replacing him with Deboer of all people.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...