2020 NHL draft discussion

OccamsRazor

I noticed it looked like we needed a new draft thread to start the 2020 draft talk. So why not now.

Please please no applause it was the least i could do. So now we can do such.

So let's get to it.

Looks like Steve Yzerman first thing on the agenda is removing some aging talent while getting his tank on for the young (arguably by many top pick) try at Alexis Lafreniere. 

Sure with the new rules in place there is no way to tank your way to the top pick but hey you get better odds.  And let's admit it Byfield is a hell of a consolation prize.

And my looking back at the draft comment is man if you could do a redraft of the 2014 draft David Pastrnak who was the 25th pick would have to go 2nd to Buffalo over Sam Reinhart right??

Related image

A lot of teams missed out on him, including my Flyers who i would gladly trade Travis Sanheim for Pastrnak right now.

How lethal would Eichel and Pastrnak be in Buffalo right now???

How good would Giroux - Couturier - Pastrnak look right now???

Anyways feel free to add comments...

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

How good would Giroux - Couturier - Pastrnak look right now???

It wouldn't.   Pastrnak would have his third concussion and have his spleen hanging out of his right ear by now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I noticed it looked like we needed a new draft thread to start the 2020 draft talk. So why not now.

Please please no applause it was the least i could do. So now we can do such.

So let's get to it.

Looks like Steve Yzerman first thing on the agenda is removing some aging talent while getting his tank on for the young (arguably by many top pick) try at Alexis Lafreniere. 

Anyone who argues against Lafreniere being the top pick is an imbecile. He's on a completely different level than Byfield. And Byfield is a very good player who should go 2nd. But that is arguable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Anyone who argues against Lafreniere being the top pick

So, is Lafreniere a "generational" type 1st overall or kind of more like an Austin Matthews or a Hughes, Hirschier, etc.?

Just wondering if we should do a trade with Ottawa for the Sharks' first round pick.

Edited by ruxpin

Christ, I'd be happy if the Wild would draft a player in the first round that I could actually get excited about...guaranteed if the Wild had a shot at Lafreniere or Byfield they'd manage to screw it up somehow...draft some Finnlander no one has ever heard of or another left wing "because he's really tall"...

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Christ, I'd be happy if the Wild would draft a player in the first round that I could actually get excited about...guaranteed if the Wild had a shot at Lafreniere or Byfield they'd manage to screw it up somehow...draft some Finnlander no one has ever heard of or another left wing "because he's really tall"...

Honestly, I really liked Matt Boldy going into the draft last year.   I'm just not sure he was right for the Wild. 

EDIT:   or more to the point, I'm not sure there weren't better options for the Wild.

Edited by ruxpin

5 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

His four points in 16 games has me all verklempt...

Yeah, really not a good post-draft year.  I've read some of the comments on the Wild threads and think maybe i under-estimated his skating issues. He really was supposed to be picked in the part of the draft he was, so hopefully just a bad season for him.  Like I said (in edit), though:  there were probably better choices there for the Wild.

29 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, really not a good post-draft year.  I've read some of the comments on the Wild threads and think maybe i under-estimated his skating issues. He really was supposed to be picked in the part of the draft he was, so hopefully just a bad season for him.  Like I said (in edit), though:  there were probably better choices there for the Wild.

Absolutely. I get that he went where he was projected to, but geez-o-beezo. Talk about a dud.

And for a team that has sorely lacked centers, they passed on Peyton Krebs and Alex Newhook. For a team that sorely lacks guys who shoot the puck, they passed on Cole Caufield. 

But it doesn't really matter. They've given all those old farts NTC/NMC's so there really isn't anywhere to play these young guys other than the third and fourth lines...

2 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Peyton Krebs

Krebs would have been a really bold (not Boldy) move given his injury right before the draft, but I agree that would have probably been the right pick.   I liked Newhook, too.   And all of them really were arguably in the same grouping in terms of BPA, so given the relative equality (I actually thought Krebs was the best of the three), then you go for need.   Even from a far--and I know you follow a lot more intimately--I agree center was probably the way to go there.

I was suspicious, and still am, of Caufield.   But that, too, would have been bold.      I already said I liked Boldy, but I'm not sure what boxes he checked from a Minnesota need perspective.

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Krebs would have been a really bold (not Boldy) move given his injury right before the draft, but I agree that would have probably been the right pick.   I liked Newhook, too.   And all of them really were arguably in the same grouping in terms of BPA, so given the relative equality (I actually thought Krebs was the best of the three), then you go for need.   Even from a far--and I know you follow a lot more intimately--I agree center was probably the way to go there.

I was suspicious, and still am, of Caufield.   But that, too, would have been bold.      I already said I liked Boldy, but I'm not sure what boxes he checked from a Minnesota need perspective.

Boldy checked the BPA box. The team is littered with left wings. So let's take another one because if he's really good, now we have an asset to deal, blah, blah, blah.

Back in November one of the Athletics NHL prospects scribes was responding to Wild fans that were concerned that Boldy was laying an egg at BU while Caufield picked up where he left off with Wisconsin scoring bunches of goals, and said that it's too early to panic on Boldy. If Boldy continued to sputter around March 2020, then there might be cause for concern.

Unless my calendar is wrong, March 2020 is just over a month away...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Christ, I'd be happy if the Wild would draft a player in the first round that I could actually get excited about.

No doubt you guys might have drafted the worst #1 overall draft pick with Brian Lawton right?

But I think Patrik Stefan wins that honor hands down.

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No doubt you guys might have drafted the worst #1 overall draft pick with Brian Lawton right?

Maybe. 

Nanne took Lawton rather than Pat LaFontaine because LaFontaine told Nanne he wanted to play on the Olympic team before turning pro. So there’s that salt in the wound...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ruxpin said:

So, is Lafreniere a "generational" type 1st overall or kind of more like an Austin Matthews or a Hughes, Hirschier, etc.?

Just wondering if we should do a trade with Ottawa for the Sharks' first round pick.

Well he was arguably Canadas best player at the WJs...in his draft year. And they won gold. It's not often Canada doesn't ice ALL 19 year olds.

I think he's the best player since McDavid. (but I don't watch NCAA)  Mathews I think has generational skill...I just don't see the desire in him to make him generational. That guy floats a lot.

I'd be interested in trading up to take a shot at him. I'm not so sure Ottawa would. He's from just down the St. Lawrence from Ottawa. They've got a good chance to right the ship in this draft with 2-high picks.

Edited by flyercanuck

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yakupov is up there too for worst ever. Lawton was taken 1st overall solely because he was American. The 1st- 1st overall. Not a brilliant way to draft. And as mentioned they could have taken Lafontaine if they wanted to go that route. Though Yzerman ended up playing twice as many games in the NHL.

There's a few 1st overalls who never made the NHL. But that's long time ago. Scouting wasn't what it is. Gord Kluzak was also a bad pick due to injuries.

Edited by flyercanuck

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Yakupov is up there too for worst ever. Lawton was taken 1st overall solely because he was American. The 1st- 1st overall. Not a brilliant way to draft. And as mentioned they could have taken Lafontaine if they wanted to go that route. Though Yzerman ended up playing twice as many games in the NHL.

There's a few 1st overalls who never made the NHL. But that's long time ago. Scouting wasn't what it is. Gord Kluzak was also a bad pick due to injuries.

Alexandre Daigle says "hello"!

Then there's also apparently 3 #1 overall that never played in the league
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1224653-nhl-draft-the-13-worst-no-1-picks-in-nhl-draft-history#slide11

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1224653-nhl-draft-the-13-worst-no-1-picks-in-nhl-draft-history#slide11

That was a pretty decent read.  Thanks for posting that!

24 minutes ago, radoran said:

Daigle certainly didn't produce much in the NHL. But he at least put up 3 - 20 goal  seasons...Yak had none. Daigle put up about as many points in the NHL as Yak had games. Which isn't saying much.

I did mention a few never played. 

• 3 months later...

Since January we did not have discussions regarding 2020 NHL draft at this thread. I found a recent link "How to make the 2020 NHL draft work":

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29084960/how-make-2020-nhl-draft-work

And 2020 NHL Mock draft:

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2020/

Probably, for this year NHL draft could be done in time if by June will be done serum test on anti-bodies for all NHL draft picks of this season. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN making those tests or in other clinics in US, Canada, Europe who are capable to do them too. So far, according to the medical research, 52% of our population having already anti-bodies to COVID-19 because it was in asymptomatic forms or in a very easy (like a simple cold) forms.  That means, possibly, a half of our draft picks candidates having already immunity to COVID-19 and able to meet together at the draft meeting this summer. And the other half of draft picks candidates who do not have yet immunity to COVID-19 could join the meeting by the video zoom. Just my 2 cents to that topic.