Jump to content
You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

Sign in to follow this  
OccamsRazor

2020 NHL draft discussion

Recommended Posts

I noticed it looked like we needed a new draft thread to start the 2020 draft talk. So why not now.

 

Please please no applause it was the least i could do. So now we can do such.

 

So let's get to it.

 

Looks like Steve Yzerman first thing on the agenda is removing some aging talent while getting his tank on for the young (arguably by many top pick) try at Alexis Lafreniere. 

 

Sure with the new rules in place there is no way to tank your way to the top pick but hey you get better odds.  And let's admit it Byfield is a hell of a consolation prize.

 

And my looking back at the draft comment is man if you could do a redraft of the 2014 draft David Pastrnak who was the 25th pick would have to go 2nd to Buffalo over Sam Reinhart right??

 

Related image

 

A lot of teams missed out on him, including my Flyers who i would gladly trade Travis Sanheim for Pastrnak right now.

 

How lethal would Eichel and Pastrnak be in Buffalo right now???

 

How good would Giroux - Couturier - Pastrnak look right now???

 

Anyways feel free to add comments...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

How good would Giroux - Couturier - Pastrnak look right now???

 

It wouldn't.   Pastrnak would have his third concussion and have his spleen hanging out of his right ear by now.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I noticed it looked like we needed a new draft thread to start the 2020 draft talk. So why not now.

 

Please please no applause it was the least i could do. So now we can do such.

 

So let's get to it.

 

Looks like Steve Yzerman first thing on the agenda is removing some aging talent while getting his tank on for the young (arguably by many top pick) try at Alexis Lafreniere. 

 

 Anyone who argues against Lafreniere being the top pick is an imbecile. He's on a completely different level than Byfield. And Byfield is a very good player who should go 2nd. But that is arguable.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Anyone who argues against Lafreniere being the top pick

 

So, is Lafreniere a "generational" type 1st overall or kind of more like an Austin Matthews or a Hughes, Hirschier, etc.?

 

Just wondering if we should do a trade with Ottawa for the Sharks' first round pick.

Edited by ruxpin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christ, I'd be happy if the Wild would draft a player in the first round that I could actually get excited about...guaranteed if the Wild had a shot at Lafreniere or Byfield they'd manage to screw it up somehow...draft some Finnlander no one has ever heard of or another left wing "because he's really tall"...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Christ, I'd be happy if the Wild would draft a player in the first round that I could actually get excited about...guaranteed if the Wild had a shot at Lafreniere or Byfield they'd manage to screw it up somehow...draft some Finnlander no one has ever heard of or another left wing "because he's really tall"...

 

Honestly, I really liked Matt Boldy going into the draft last year.   I'm just not sure he was right for the Wild. 

 

EDIT:   or more to the point, I'm not sure there weren't better options for the Wild.

Edited by ruxpin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

 

Honestly, I really liked Matt Boldy going into the draft last year.   I'm just not sure he was right for the Wild. 

 

His four points in 16 games has me all verklempt...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

 

His four points in 16 games has me all verklempt...

 

Yeah, really not a good post-draft year.  I've read some of the comments on the Wild threads and think maybe i under-estimated his skating issues. He really was supposed to be picked in the part of the draft he was, so hopefully just a bad season for him.  Like I said (in edit), though:  there were probably better choices there for the Wild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

 

Yeah, really not a good post-draft year.  I've read some of the comments on the Wild threads and think maybe i under-estimated his skating issues. He really was supposed to be picked in the part of the draft he was, so hopefully just a bad season for him.  Like I said (in edit), though:  there were probably better choices there for the Wild.

 

Absolutely. I get that he went where he was projected to, but geez-o-beezo. Talk about a dud.

 

And for a team that has sorely lacked centers, they passed on Peyton Krebs and Alex Newhook. For a team that sorely lacks guys who shoot the puck, they passed on Cole Caufield. 

 

But it doesn't really matter. They've given all those old farts NTC/NMC's so there really isn't anywhere to play these young guys other than the third and fourth lines...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Peyton Krebs

 

Krebs would have been a really bold (not Boldy) move given his injury right before the draft, but I agree that would have probably been the right pick.   I liked Newhook, too.   And all of them really were arguably in the same grouping in terms of BPA, so given the relative equality (I actually thought Krebs was the best of the three), then you go for need.   Even from a far--and I know you follow a lot more intimately--I agree center was probably the way to go there.

 

I was suspicious, and still am, of Caufield.   But that, too, would have been bold.      I already said I liked Boldy, but I'm not sure what boxes he checked from a Minnesota need perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

 

Krebs would have been a really bold (not Boldy) move given his injury right before the draft, but I agree that would have probably been the right pick.   I liked Newhook, too.   And all of them really were arguably in the same grouping in terms of BPA, so given the relative equality (I actually thought Krebs was the best of the three), then you go for need.   Even from a far--and I know you follow a lot more intimately--I agree center was probably the way to go there.

 

I was suspicious, and still am, of Caufield.   But that, too, would have been bold.      I already said I liked Boldy, but I'm not sure what boxes he checked from a Minnesota need perspective.

 

Boldy checked the BPA box. The team is littered with left wings. So let's take another one because if he's really good, now we have an asset to deal, blah, blah, blah.

 

Back in November one of the Athletics NHL prospects scribes was responding to Wild fans that were concerned that Boldy was laying an egg at BU while Caufield picked up where he left off with Wisconsin scoring bunches of goals, and said that it's too early to panic on Boldy. If Boldy continued to sputter around March 2020, then there might be cause for concern.

 

Unless my calendar is wrong, March 2020 is just over a month away...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Christ, I'd be happy if the Wild would draft a player in the first round that I could actually get excited about.

 

No doubt you guys might have drafted the worst #1 overall draft pick with Brian Lawton right?

 

But I think Patrik Stefan wins that honor hands down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

No doubt you guys might have drafted the worst #1 overall draft pick with Brian Lawton right?

 

But I think Patrik Stefan wins that honor hands down.


Maybe. 

Nanne took Lawton rather than Pat LaFontaine because LaFontaine told Nanne he wanted to play on the Olympic team before turning pro. So there’s that salt in the wound...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ruxpin said:

 

So, is Lafreniere a "generational" type 1st overall or kind of more like an Austin Matthews or a Hughes, Hirschier, etc.?

 

Just wondering if we should do a trade with Ottawa for the Sharks' first round pick.

 

Well he was arguably Canadas best player at the WJs...in his draft year. And they won gold. It's not often Canada doesn't ice ALL 19 year olds.

 

 I think he's the best player since McDavid. (but I don't watch NCAA)  Mathews I think has generational skill...I just don't see the desire in him to make him generational. That guy floats a lot.

 

 I'd be interested in trading up to take a shot at him. I'm not so sure Ottawa would. He's from just down the St. Lawrence from Ottawa. They've got a good chance to right the ship in this draft with 2-high picks.

Edited by flyercanuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

No doubt you guys might have drafted the worst #1 overall draft pick with Brian Lawton right?

 

But I think Patrik Stefan wins that honor hands down.

 

Yakupov is up there too for worst ever. Lawton was taken 1st overall solely because he was American. The 1st- 1st overall. Not a brilliant way to draft. And as mentioned they could have taken Lafontaine if they wanted to go that route. Though Yzerman ended up playing twice as many games in the NHL.

 

 There's a few 1st overalls who never made the NHL. But that's long time ago. Scouting wasn't what it is. Gord Kluzak was also a bad pick due to injuries.

Edited by flyercanuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

 

Yakupov is up there too for worst ever. Lawton was taken 1st overall solely because he was American. The 1st- 1st overall. Not a brilliant way to draft. And as mentioned they could have taken Lafontaine if they wanted to go that route. Though Yzerman ended up playing twice as many games in the NHL.

 

 There's a few 1st overalls who never made the NHL. But that's long time ago. Scouting wasn't what it is. Gord Kluzak was also a bad pick due to injuries.

 

Alexandre Daigle says "hello"!

 

Then there's also apparently 3 #1 overall that never played in the league

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, radoran said:

 

Alexandre Daigle says "hello"!

 

Then there's also apparently 3 #1 overall that never played in the league

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

That was a pretty decent read.  Thanks for posting that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, radoran said:

 

Alexandre Daigle says "hello"!

 

Then there's also apparently 3 #1 overall that never played in the league

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 Daigle certainly didn't produce much in the NHL. But he at least put up 3 - 20 goal  seasons...Yak had none. Daigle put up about as many points in the NHL as Yak had games. Which isn't saying much.

 

 I did mention a few never played. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 4
      Post
      It wouldn't.   Pastrnak would have his third concussion and have his spleen hanging out of his right ear by now.
    • 3
      Post
      His four points in 16 games has me all verklempt...
    • 2
      Post
      Christ, I'd be happy if the Wild would draft a player in the first round that I could actually get excited about...guaranteed if the Wild had a shot at Lafreniere or Byfield they'd manage to screw it up somehow...draft some Finnlander no one has ever heard of or another left wing "because he's really tall"...
    • 1
      Post
      Anyone who argues against Lafreniere being the top pick is an imbecile. He's on a completely different level than Byfield. And Byfield is a very good player who should go 2nd. But that is arguable.    
    • 1
      Post
      Boldy checked the BPA box. The team is littered with left wings. So let's take another one because if he's really good, now we have an asset to deal, blah, blah, blah.   Back in November one of the Athletics NHL prospects scribes was responding to Wild fans that were concerned that Boldy was laying an egg at BU while Caufield picked up where he left off with Wisconsin scoring bunches of goals, and said that it's too early to panic on Boldy. If Boldy continued to sputter around March 20
    • 1
      Post
      Maybe.  Nanne took Lawton rather than Pat LaFontaine because LaFontaine told Nanne he wanted to play on the Olympic team before turning pro. So there’s that salt in the wound...

Game Room 1

Please enter your display name

×
×
  • Create New...