Game 50: Penguins at Flyers;1/21/20 7:30 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

I haven't found odds yet, but one math model puts the Penguins at about 0.30 goal over us:

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nhl/odds/2020012212-nhl-pit-phi/

It's clear the teams aren't that different statistically but we are a much better faceoff squad.  What stats mean in this match-up is anyone's guess:  It's Flyers-Pens. Both teams need points.  This is effectively a four-pointer in the standings and the first of a home-and-home.  

The Pens blitzed the Flyers in the first meeting.

Made our boys look like boys, they were faster, more skilled, harder on the puck. That and the the San Jose road game at the beginning of the month were the two worst performances of the year. Everyone likes to bitch when a they lose to a team "lower" in the standings. Mostly because it's Philly and people like to bitch,  but those two games were the worst showings by this team and it's not close. 

So hopefully the coaches have saved that tape and are making the boys watch that **** on loop, it was disgraceful.

I hope the home ice juju keeps working.  

Pgh has speed everywhere.

The Pens just keep rolling along, lose Crosby for 5 weeks, lose Guentzel for the year...no sweat- we'll hunker down and forecheck the **** out of everyone...they play fast and hungry. 

The Flyers, if they're to be taken seriously need to win this game.

• Like 3

Yep...this is Penguins-Flyers.

In these games, you basically throw all the stats right out the window.
It'll come down to who is ready to play come game time, who wants it more, and who can sidestep the officials (as in penalties) when things get, as they often do, heated between the teams.

One guy I don't see a problem showing up with a fire lit under him is Travis Konecny.
If his "want it" can rub off on his teammates, then Sidney Crosby (another guy who shows up ready to go, especially after spending so much time on IR) are gonna have their hands full.

Malkin has been great in Sid's absence, but he sometimes regresses to "passenger" status when Crosby is back in the lineup as opposed to when he is the main focus.
If the Flyers see that to be the case, best let ol Malkin-Stein keep sleeping....although 3 pts in his last two games says he isn't quite slumbering yet.

Which Brian Elliot shows up will also go a long way to determining the outcome of this game.
'Vezina' Elliot can play with anyone and can stop anyone....however, 'Screen Door' Elliot could make this a real long game for Flyer fans.

This team has been a thorn in our side for many years.  Pitt's performance, along with that of Columbus, makes me think that their respective GM's have done a better job in drafting/trading than ours.  Columbus lost Bobo, Panerin, Duchene--but they are running on all cylinders. You'd think that coaching change + development of our youngins would put us in a better position within the division.  Apparently not.  It's mildly depressing as a long-term fan.  

• Like 1

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 11 Travis Konecny
12 Michael Raffl - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 62 Nic Aube-Kubel
49 Joel Farabee - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 18 Tyler Pitlick

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun

37 Brian Elliott
[34 Alex Lyon]

Power Play 1: Giroux, JVR, Konecny, Hayes, Provorov.
Power Play 2: Couturier, Aube-Kubel/Farabee, Voracek (?), Sanheim, Niskanen.

Scratches: 79 Carter Hart (abdominal muscle strain), 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (knee), one of 12 Michael Raffl (upper body) or 50 German Rubtsov (healthy).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

PENGUINS

19 Jared McCann - 87 Sidney Crosby - 12 Dominik Simon
18 Alex Galchenyuk - 71 Evgeni Malkin - 17 Bryan Rust
36 Joe Blandisi - 26 Andrew Agozzino - 72 Patric Hörnqvist
46 Zach Aston-Reese - 53 Teddy Blueger - 13 Brandon Tanev

3 Jack Johnson - 58 Kris Letang
28 Marcus Pettersson - 6 John Marino
50 Juuso Riikola - 2 Chad Ruhwedel or 4 Justin Schultz (?)

35 Tristan Jarry
30 Matt Murray

Power Play 1: Hörnqvist, Crosby, Rust, Letang, Malkin
Power Play 2: Galchenyuk, McCann, Simon, Marino, Riikola

Scratches: 7 Kevin Czuczman (healthy), 24 Dominik Kahun (concussion), 37 Sam Lafferty (healthy), 2 Chad Ruhwedel (healthy, may be scratched if Schultz plays).

Injured reserve: 4 Justin Schultz (lower body, questionable for this game), 8 Brian Dumoulin (ankle surgery), 27 Nick Bjugstad (core muscle surgery), 59 Jake Guentzel (right shoulder surgery).

On 1/20/2020 at 10:05 AM, mojo1917 said:

The Flyers, if they're to be taken seriously need to win this game.

Really want to see a playoff-style effort from them. This is a real opportunity for a statement game - as is the next one after the break.

Honestly, they also kinda need to kick the #### out of the Red Wings and Devils after a visit from the Avs, too. Then it's six games against teams ahead of them in the Metropolitan wrapped around a visit to Tampa.

Rubber is hitting the road in a major way. Coming out of February, we'll have a great insight into whether their for real or frauds.

I'm hoping they're for real.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:05 AM, mojo1917 said:

. That and the the San Jose road game at the beginning of the month were the two worst performances of the year

You forgot 6-3 loss to Edmonton, 7-3 to Winnipeg and 6-2 to Arizona.

Superstar players always seem to have their best performances against the Flyers. The penguins have had their share (mario, Jaromir, Frankenmalkin, and Cindy)

Crosby will probably have a 5 point night , with a hattrick and the game winner

these core players have to go, it's just frustating so see these players not do anything again and again. like i said we are not going to the playoffs if they dont step up and what frustrates me more is twitter defending these players and going after the coaches, like how many coaches are going to get fired over this core to find out it's not the coaches.

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

You forgot 6-3 loss to Edmonton, 7-3 to Winnipeg and 6-2 to Arizona.

Like I said I don't watch every game. 

That AZ game was terrible if I remember the outrage on the site correctly. Also on that road trip they would give up 3 goals in 2 minutes,  pretty regularly.  Depending on when that happens during a game it can take some juju from a team. Not an excuse but an observation. 

I don't think I'm telling you the sky is green here either.

They're on pace to significantly improve upon last year. I don't think they suck or are a bunch of fags. 

Taste is in your mouth.

EDIT: that road trip was where they found out about Lindblom's Ewings sarcoma wasn't it? I'm sure that affected them negatively, since it can be deadly and isn't a hamstring...

Edited by mojo1917

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Superstar players always seem to have their best performances against the Flyers. The penguins have had their share (mario, Jaromir, Frankenmalkin, and Cindy)

Crosby will probably have a 5 point night , with a hattrick and the game winner

Details details details.

:notfair:

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

Important win tonight. Need to follow up but this was taking care of business that needed taking care of.

They were playing lights out before the Christmas break and we know how that went coming out of it.

They can not afford to do that again coming off this break.

The standings are so tight with very few games remaining.

And I know you know that I know you know that.

However yes very big win tonight and it was even sweeter to see them hang on and give Elliott the shutout.

Now rest up.

• Like 1

Really nice win tonite. 

I'm sure the Pens were expecting a night off or whatever and the Flyers were able to sneak up on them . 

Just to note our ****** captain and his line were far better than Crosby 's line tonite. Blind squirrel finds nut, will not have to waive nmc for a week.