First half award winners

yave1964

All star break coming up, here are my picks for the first half award winners

HART TROPHY League MVP IMHO comes down to a quartet of players, McDavid, Draisatl, MacKinnon and Pastrnak with apologies to Eichel who is having a hell of a year. I am going with Draisatl as he takes more faceoffs than Mcdavid and has matched him point for point. Cannot go wrong with any of them.

DRAISATL

NORRIS TROPHY Top defenseman is one of the easiest picks of the year, Hamilton would have been my number two before he broke his leg with Josi and Hedman also in the running but the no brainer pick is John Carlson who is plus 17 and on pace for an insane near 100 points.

CARLSON

CALDER TROPHY Top rookie is a bigger no brainer than the Norris with apologies to Kubalik who has come out of nowhere to lead all rookies with 21 goals but Cale Makar has ran away with the award looking like a young Paul Coffey on the back end.

JACK ADAMS AWARD You could make a case for a half a dozen coaches whose teams are at or near the top of the standings but I am gonna probably piss a few people off in here by saying it has to be John Tortorella. The CBJ lost half their team to free agency and yet somehow inexplicably are right in the thick of it, currently sitting in the first wildcard spot with cap room to add if they choose to.

VEZINA TROPHY Binnington has proven last year was no fluke, Bishop has been brilliant, Rittich has owned the net in Calgary but it has to be Andrei Vasilevskiy who leads the league in wins with 24 with fantastic numbers. Two others worth mention are Jarry in Pittsburgh who has taken over the net and leads the league in goals against with 16 wins and Samsonov in Washington who is almost literally shoving Holtby out of the door with an insane 15-2 record. Still Vasilevskiy is the one.

Those are mine, anyone disagree?

Hey there, nice list @yave1964

I would like to submit Mike Sullivan from Pittsburgh for the Jack Adams, look at that roster and you'll see names of kids from boyscout troop 98 in Shadyside...they lose Crosby for 5 weeks , Guentzel for the year, I think Malkin was down for a stretch early in the year Doumoulin the list of guys they've been with out is long and esteemed and this team has been whooping ass the whole time.

I don't know what coach is doing there but they're 4th in points in the league and they are just blasting teams not squeaking by but taking teams out behind the woodshed.   Fonzi knew he was starting the year with Monsters and built his squad accordingly. and well....Sullivan frequently needs introduced to guys on his 3rd line and that team is still a wagon, that's coaching.

Edit:

I noticed no SELKE TROPHY

Sean Couturier, on pace for another 70 ish point season. Facing the top lines every night. 5 v 5 his advanced metrics are very good. If a Flyers player is struggling and winds up playing on 14's wing suddenly they aren't struggling anymore. 

Everyone he plays against seems to have an "off night" for some reason. True story, vs the Pens on Tuesday, Sullivan put Crosby and Malkin out vs Couturier...it didn't matter, they didn't get the puck and when they did, they didn't do diddly/poo with it. 

He's been pretty awesome this year, 

Edited by mojo1917

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 1:30 PM, yave1964 said:

All star break coming up, here are my picks for the first half award winners

HART TROPHY League MVP IMHO comes down to a quartet of players, McDavid, Draisatl, MacKinnon and Pastrnak with apologies to Eichel who is having a hell of a year. I am going with Draisatl as he takes more faceoffs than Mcdavid and has matched him point for point. Cannot go wrong with any of them.

DRAISATL

Almost a month later, and Draisaitl has extended his lead in the scoring race, now with 95 points in 59 games, 13 more than Pastrnak. He's an anchor play on the PP that is by far the best in the league and is playing big minutes on the #3 PK in the NHL. He's on pace to score the most points since the 1996 season, and though many default to "he's riding McDavid's coattails!", he was barely outscoring him when they were on the same line, picked it up even more when they were split up, and now has 10 points with McDavid out of the lineup.

... And other than you, I'm not hearing a peep about him being anywhere in the conversation for the Hart Trophy.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Almost a month later, and Draisaitl has extended his lead in the scoring race, now with 95 points in 59 games, 13 more than Pastrnak. He's an anchor play on the PP that is by far the best in the league and is playing big minutes on the #3 PK in the NHL. He's on pace to score the most points since the 1996 season, and though many default to "he's riding McDavid's coattails!", he was barely outscoring him when they were on the same line, picked it up even more when they were split up, and now has 10 points with McDavid out of the lineup.

... And other than you, I'm not hearing a peep about him being anywhere in the conversation for the Hart Trophy.

I dont see how he couldn't be the frontrunner to be honest. Yeah McDavid is an amazing talent but for THIS YEAR there is not a better player in the game. Not McDavid, Not MacKinnon, not Pastrnak, nobody. Period.