Kasperi Kapanen to Flyers in exchange for...... Philippe Myers?

WordsOfWisdom

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Unless we're talking about a winger that clearly supplants someone in the top 6 (and pushes them down roster), I'm not moving a dman for him.    Kapanen doesn't do that for me.    There are teams out there that Kapanen slides into the top 6.  Those would be my target if he's the bait.

Always an interesting risk vs reward proposition with trades.  :) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Kapanen is an established NHL forward. He's a ZERO RISK acquisition. You know you're getting ~20 goals, 40 points AND he has tremendous upside. He MIGHT become a 40 goal scorer. 

Let's not oversell, shall we? He's in basically his second full season and is on pace for 16-17 goals and 46-47 points. The upside is there, but so is the lack of a scoring role for him in Philadelphia with what's ahead of him on the depth chart.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

Let's not oversell, shall we? He's in basically his second full season and is on pace for 16-17 goals and 46-47 points. The upside is there, but so is the lack of a scoring role for him in Philadelphia with what's ahead of him on the depth chart.

I smell Teemu Selanne! :D

• Like 1

This is a tough call. On one hand, Myers is a very talented defensive player who is still very much a prospect. He is such a good puck mover for his size, and adds that really good point shot. He is still developing in his frame, and has a bit of a mean streak. I'd rather give up Morin or even Ghost.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

(do you prefer "My-heim?")

"Heim-ers"

there is a comment about "cherry" rolling around in my head, but it isnt materializing

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You make it sound like this is Kapanen for Dougie Hamilton or something. :) This is Kapanen for what amounts to a prospect. We have no idea what Myers is or what he will become. What we've seen is a glimpse. He might be Chara-like or he might be Luke Schenn like. Who knows?

No I make it sound like why would you trade a guy who has potential to be a top pairing dman for a middle six winger. Myers plays a position that generally takes a lot longer to reach your peak. Kapapen plays the easiest position in hockey. He's probably a lot closer to what you see is what you get. Myers skates way too well to be Luke Schenn.

Kapanen is an established NHL forward. He's a ZERO RISK acquisition. You know you're getting ~20 goals, 40 points AND he has tremendous upside. He MIGHT become a 40 goal scorer. 

He's not zero risk if you trade what turns out to be a very good dman for him. As mentioned, he's a 3rd line winger on this team. I like him as a player. But not for Myers.

(Side note: All this forum chat helps me keep my mind off my dying grandmother, so it's nice to be able to escape my life right now and hide here in the forum keeping life fun.)  

Sorry about your gram. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You make it sound like this is Kapanen for Dougie Hamilton or something. :) This is Kapanen for what amounts to a prospect. We have no idea what Myers is or what he will become. What we've seen is a glimpse. He might be Chara-like or he might be Luke Schenn like. Who knows?

(Side note: All this forum chat helps me keep my mind off my dying grandmother, so it's nice to be able to escape my life right now and hide here in the forum keeping life fun.)  

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, but you're right Kapanen is established NHL forward but as you know defensemen are hard to find and if you find one with potential you hold onto him. Kapanen for Ghost I'd be find with but I don't know if Leafs fans would be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, but you're right Kapanen is established NHL forward but as you know defensemen are hard to find and if you find one with potential you hold onto him. Kapanen for Ghost I'd be find with but I don't know if Leafs fans would be.

I'd be fine with Ghost, too, but honestly, he is really not what Toronto needs. Track record, he's what the Leafs' front office would trade for.  It's their MO.   But they really need a quality defensive defenseman with some offense that can stabilize their backend and give Anderson a break.

• Like 1

@WordsOfWisdom

Sorry to hear about your grandma.

Feeling pretty confident that Kapanen doesn't get you Myers though. 

I don't think Kapanen alone gets you kind of player you're envisioning but maybe he gets you what the team needs and it's just not as glamorous.

Truly a guy like Robert Hagg woul be helpful on your team.  He's a bit of an enigma to me, there are moments in a game where he'll do something, make it look easy and leaves the viewer wondering why "that" doesn't happen more often. 

He's got a good shot - accurate and heavy, hardly ever takes it. He skates better than he gets credit for also, I don't know why he isn't "better". 

His current game is what I think your team needs, I don't know if he's done developing or there is some offense that can be coaxed from him, but he's a decent physical defensive minded defenseman. He has been quietly having a good year for us this year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think Kapanen alone gets you kind of player you're envisioning but maybe he gets you what the team needs and it's just not as glamorous.

Honestly, they may be better off shopping Nylander to "get what they need" and move Kapanen up into that spot.

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Truly a guy like Robert Hagg woul be helpful on your team.  He's a bit of an enigma to me, there are moments in a game where he'll do something, make it look easy and leaves the viewer wondering why "that" doesn't happen more often. 

Colour me unimpressed with Hagg. There are times, as you say, he does something. And then there are the rest of the times.

I just don't see the Leafs moving a Kapanen to get a Hagg.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, radoran said:

I just don't see the Leafs moving a Kapanen to get a Hagg

I don't think so either actually, it doesn't seem to fit the Dubas M.O..

That said that team could use a little more physicality and actual defense from their you know, defensemen.  

Ultimately I think you're right the splash would have to be Nylander for "OMG breathless OEL" or something and I don't think the Flyers have the depth at D-corps to deal a player of that stature. 

I would hate them forever if they traded #9 for Nylander- as I think most others would.

• Good Post 1

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

Obviously I would love to see son of Sami in Orange & Black. Make it happen Fletch!

I would be fine with it too...i always said the Flyers are missing their lucky Finn. But for the right price.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'd be fine with Ghost, too, but honestly, he is really not what Toronto needs.

I disagree sure they need guys who can play actual defense i get that Ghost is ok in his end.

They also need some goals from the backend to with Muzzin (3 goals) and Rielly out (3 goals) out they only have Barrie (4 goals) and Dermont (4 goals) and Ceci and Holl 2 goal between them not very much help fire power wise from the backend left.

So they could use any help from the backend and Ghost maybe could do that. I think Ghost could use a change of scenery maybe.

Now not saying the Leafs would want Ghost but i think Hagg could be useful too he is solid guy in his own end he would be tied for 3rd in points on the Leafs blueline right now.

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I would hate them forever if they traded #9 for Nylander- as I think most others would.

That sort of move would be the first in a serious restructure. Like Kapenen, there's only so many top 6 scoring winger positions and Konecny and Voracek are occupying them.

SPITBALLING: trade 9 for Nylander and flip Voracek for 9's replacement and people might not be as unhappy with the results. To be clear, I don't think that's going to happen and almost certainly not during the season. That said, a 23-year-old at $7M per for four more years who just happens to be on pace for 36-37 goals and 72 points looks a lot better to me than a 30 year old that hasn't scored more than 20 since 14-15 and is on the books at $8.25M for four more years...

Myers still is on the potential/upside portion of his career. We'll see if that potential develops itself. Again, I'm not looking to ship him out and would prefer to see if that develops here. But in the "give to get" world, if it's the "right deal" I'm not unalterably opposed.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, radoran said:

I just don't see the Leafs moving a Kapanen to get a Hagg.

I can see them moving Kapanen for a guy like Brendan Dillon who has been rumored to be on the block from the Sharks and he is closer to what the Leafs need.

Nylander will more than likely have to be the guy they will have to move to get a top pair like D man they covet.

And i would be ok with the Flyers picking up Kapanen but for the right price i have always said they are missing their lucky Finn since Kimmo has retired i don't think they have had once since....my be why they struggle to get right! :D

@WordsOfWisdom

Sorry i missed your comment about your grandma i know how you feel i have none left...thoughts and prayers are with you.

I would take Andreas Johnsson off your hands to for Ghost or Hagg too it doesn't have to be for only Kapanen. Just a thought.

Hell trade Johnsson for Ghost and Kapanen for Dillon bam - backend retooled quickly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

SPITBALLING: trade 9 for Nylander

Flyer fans would hate Nylander's soft perimeter play especially come playoff time (sure if they ever even made it) but none the less they would want Nylander's head on spike in Philly.

Sure he puts up the points in the regular season but come playoff time when the pressure goes up guys need to elevate their game he disappears from what i remember seeing - his 3 total playoff goals total in 3 different playoff series first round exits as my exhibit "A"...

...nah we have enough guys to hate now in Philly....but if you wanted to exchange a dead horse for a dead horse i would welcome a Voracek for Nylander exchange!!! :BrownBag:

Edited by OccamsRazor

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure he puts up the points in the regular season but come playoff time when the pressure goes up guys need to elevate their game he disappears from what i remember seeing - his 3 total playoff goals total in 3 different playoff series first round exits as my exhibit "A"...

He has 7 points in his last 14 playoff games.

Claude Giroux has 4 in his past 12. And three total playoff goals in 3 different playoff series first round exits.

In case you were wondering what informs this Philly fan's somewhat jaundiced view of #28 at this point... That's "Exhibit A". :devil:

Again, not advocating for that Nylander move by any stretch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'd be fine with Ghost, too, but honestly, he is really not what Toronto needs. Track record, he's what the Leafs' front office would trade for.  It's their MO.   But they really need a quality defensive defenseman with some offense that can stabilize their backend and give Anderson a break.

That would be my greatest fear. If the Leafs dealt a Kapanen or Nylander to acquire Ghost when we already have Rielly and Barrie and countless other guys who are cut from the same cloth. We're missing the stay-at-home defenceman who can be a physical presence and who can defend first and foremost. Ghost is the opposite of what Toronto needs, but you're right that he's the guy Toronto is most likely to acquire if they did a trade with Philly. And if the Leafs did that trade, they would drop another 20 points in the standings. 

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would be fine with it too...i always said the Flyers are missing their lucky Finn. But for the right price.

I disagree sure they need guys who can play actual defense i get that Ghost is ok in his end.

They also need some goals from the backend to with Muzzin (3 goals) and Rielly out (3 goals) out they only have Barrie (4 goals) and Dermont (4 goals) and Ceci and Holl 2 goal between them not very much help fire power wise from the backend left.

So they could use any help from the backend and Ghost maybe could do that. I think Ghost could use a change of scenery maybe.

Now not saying the Leafs would want Ghost but i think Hagg could be useful too he is solid guy in his own end he would be tied for 3rd in points on the Leafs blueline right now.

They can use someone with some offense--which is why I don't think a Hagg works.   

But they need more defense than Ghost will give them.  They really need a Niskonen type that can stabalize their defense while providing some help on the front end.  

I can see Toronto trading for Ghost. He's their type.    But he is not what they need.   They really need a Provorov.  They don't have anything they'd want to part with that I would trade them Provorov for.  But that's the type.   

Really, Nashville would be an interesting trading partner.

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

That would be my greatest fear. If the Leafs dealt a Kapanen or Nylander to acquire Ghost when we already have Rielly and Barrie and countless other guys who are cut from the same cloth. We're missing the stay-at-home defenceman who can be a physical presence and who can defend first and foremost. Ghost is the opposite of what Toronto needs, but you're right that he's the guy Toronto is most likely to acquire if they did a trade with Philly. And if the Leafs did that trade, they would drop another 20 points in the standings. 

I agree.    It would frankly be the reversal of the original JVR/Schenn deal., I think.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, radoran said:

In case you were wondering what informs this Philly fan's somewhat jaundiced view of #28 at this point... That's "Exhibit A".

Sure you're kind of making my point....we don't need another disappearing act, Flyers are fully staffed in that area.

And you know you're not allowed to criticize the Captain ya know...consider yourself REPORTED!

• Like 1