Kasperi Kapanen to Flyers in exchange for...... Philippe Myers?

WordsOfWisdom

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Then I need to be reminded what we're still talking about.

Because I said I didn't want to trade the 2nd pair dman for the 20-25 goal middle winger and I got Winnipeg and Vancouver (to say nothing of Buiffalo).  Thought we were still talking Myers and Kapanen.    My bad.   I'll wait to see who we're actually talking about.

@radoran

It always makes me laugh when you argue with yourself.  

*shifty eyes*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Well, there's a little bit of prospecting involved here, though, right?

I mean, we can wait to see how many of the guys pan out.  Presumably, if they pan out  you keep them, or you know to demand a king's ransom.  But what about the others who don't pan out?   If you wait until you know they're not going to pan out, everyone else knows it, too.  So, instead of trading a what if to someone and getting value, you're trading the whiff for a 5th round draft pick or Dale Weiss.

Or you watch the next Justin Williams or Patrick Sharp have a great career on another team. I'd like to hope out of all those defencemen a few end up having pretty good careers...on the Flyers.

I tend to lead toward you and take both my wins and losses.  
I mean, Nashville went the "trade the what if" route and I wonder if they or anyone would trade Seth Jones for  Ryan Johansen today.  Maybe.  I wouldn't.

Me neither. Though at the time they were trading a strength for a need. They were always good at drafting and developing dmen. Not so much at forward. They were the anti-Flyers. 

But, I mean, at some point we're simply going to have more people trying to pan out than we have slots to see.   I don't have good answers, but there's none of them that I'm willing to part with for a 3rd line winger.

Zackly.

53 minutes ago, CoachX said:

we have a 30 goal scorer firmly rooting himself on the 3 and 4th lines. Thats the Flyers for you

I like the fact that just because this guy is overpaid and can do ONE thing he's earned where he's playing on the depth chart from management. JVR has the skill, size, talent etc to be a top line winger in this league. He chooses to do the minimal amount of work as a professional for the most part...then gives you a glimpse of what he's capable of once or twice every dozen games. 

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I like the fact that just because this guy is overpaid and can do ONE thing he's earned where he's playing on the depth chart from management. JVR has the skill, size, talent etc to be a top line winger in this league. He chooses to do the minimal amount of work as a professional for the most part...then gives you a glimpse of what he's capable of once or twice every dozen games. 

So what to do with that? Why did he suck with the Flyers, tear it up in toronto, then suck again?

what makes this happen?

Personally, I think he is a head case with talent. He wont ever reach his ceiling with the Flyers. Guess what? His trade value will never be higher!

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

So what to do with that? Why did he suck with the Flyers, tear it up in toronto, then suck again?

what makes this happen?

Personally, I think he is a head case with talent. He wont ever reach his ceiling with the Flyers. Guess what? His trade value will never be higher!

Tear it up in Toronto? He did the same thing there. He scored a lot cause he played on a team built for offence. But he still dogged it most of the time. it's why they let him go.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Tear it up in Toronto? He did the same thing there. He scored a lot cause he played on a team built for offence. But he still dogged it most of the time. it's why they let him go.

30 goals is still pretty damn good. I'll take it. It will be enough to lead this team this season

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I was going to type very much the same thing.  In Toronto, he fit in with the rest of the team, frankly.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

30 goals is still pretty damn good. I'll take it. It will be enough to lead this team this season

Sure 30 is good. Remember he played on a line with Bozak and Kessel...I think they were a collective -300. Would you like his share of that on the Flyers to go with the 30?

• Haha 1

He's one-dimensional, and another case of this organization not having a c;ear plan in place besides developing youth, so instead they bring back a retread. They are probably trying to bring back Jeff Carter for the same reason, so all the fans wearing Carter jerseys will be happy. All JVR does is go to the front of the net and deflect pucks, and get some garbage goals that way.  He offers little else. Some waxed nostalgic, and thought it was a good signing. I thought it was a waste of time and money to bring him back. What the hell, they could have kept a guy like Wayne Simmonds for much less. As worn out and toward the end as he is, he could have done many of the same things JVR does.

11 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

He's one-dimensional, and another case of this organization not having a c;ear plan in place besides developing youth, so instead they bring back a retread. They are probably trying to bring back Jeff Carter for the same reason, so all the fans wearing Carter jerseys will be happy. All JVR does is go to the front of the net and deflect pucks, and get some garbage goals that way.  He offers little else. Some waxed nostalgic, and thought it was a good signing. I thought it was a waste of time and money to bring him back. What the hell, they could have kept a guy like Wayne Simmonds for much less. As worn out and toward the end as he is, he could have done many of the same things JVR does.

I know i for one defended Hextall when he signed him solely because people were complaining that he didn't go out and sign big name UFAs..and JVR was the 2nd biggest UFA that year. But I never wanted him back and was glad they dealt him in the first place. Just not for that return.

I'd definitely rather have Simmonds on a 1 year deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Or you watch the next Justin Williams or Patrick Sharp have a great career on another team. I'd like to hope out of all those defencemen a few end up having pretty good careers...on the Flyers.

Which does not at all preclude some of them having great careers elsewhere AS WELL...

Said as head banger of the Sharp/Williams drum... :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Sure 30 is good. Remember he played on a line with Bozak and Kessel...I think they were a collective -300. Would you like his share of that on the Flyers to go with the 30?

i dont want any part of him. He`s a bust and the sooner he is gone the better. i`ll help him pack and drive his ass outta town

On 1/25/2020 at 10:26 AM, ruxpin said:

I'm as frustrated with JVR as anyone, and for the reasons most have stated.  

Oddly, the advanced stats don't really support the JVR hate.   So, to hell with advanced stats.

I just reviewed all the Flyers with my new Defence stat (posted in the general NHL section).  JVR was middle of the pack on your team. I think maybe it's the effort level Flyers hate.  :) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I just reviewed all the Flyers with my new Defence stat (posted in the general NHL section).  JVR was middle of the pack on your team. I think maybe it's the effort level Flyers hate.  :) 

Fun facts, JVR has 29 points, 14 goals, +2, 6 PIM, 120 shots, 11.7% SH%, 50.1% CF, 51.8% FF and is widely regarded by Flyers fans as a defensive liability.

Kevin Hayes is regarded as a defensive genius who has been a valuable addition to the team. He's got 27 points, 14 goals, -14, 22 PIM, 123 shots, 11.3 SH%, 49.7 CF%, 48% FF.

People tend to see what they want to see.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Yes.